Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Felix Trinidad

As i have only been an avid fan of boxing for about 3 years, i still don't know a great deal about some boxers. Felix Trinidad falls into this category......

I mean i know he lost to B-Hop and Winky

and i know beat Vargas, Mayorga, ODLH and Sweetpea

I'm guessing Sweetpea was only a shadow of his former self when they fought?

Can anybody basically try and some him up for me.....it would definately make the Roy Jones fight more enjoyable for me...

cheers in advance.

by the way i'm a whore so feel free to fire away with responses.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Felix Trinidad

Quote Originally Posted by ono

Shame on you for trying to buy posters

As for Tito. He was one of those fighters that got famous late in his career. He was overshadowed by the combined starpower might of Tyson and later Oscar. Most fans know what he did after the Oscar fight when he moved up in weight. He had a huge run with almost back to back victories over Whitaker, De La Hoya, Read, Vargas and Joppy. But it was as a Welterweight that he truelly shined.

He was IMO the best welterweight of his era. He is the longest reigning champion in WW history (though he does not hold the reccord for most defenses as some claim). He defended his title 16 times (some say 17, but the fight with Troy Waters was not a title fight). He was the first to beat Carr, Campas, De La Hoya, Vargas and Read among other lesser opponents.

Camacho was not exactly in his best weight when he fought Tito, but he did go on to win 20 fights after that till he met DLH and lossed again.

Whitaker was far from his best but Tito did give him his first unquestionable loss. To this day Tito is the only fighter who has looked good against Whitaker.

You should see some of his early fights, there are few fighters that match his offensive arsenal.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan

As for Tito. He was one of those fighters that got famous late in his career. He was overshadowed by the combined starpower might of Tyson and later Oscar. Most fans know what he did after the Oscar fight when he moved up in weight. He had a huge run with almost back to back victories over Whitaker, De La Hoya, Read, Vargas and Joppy. But it was as a Welterweight that he truelly shined.

He was IMO the best welterweight of his era. He is the longest reigning champion in WW history (though he does not hold the reccord for most defenses as some claim). He defended his title 16 times (some say 17, but the fight with Troy Waters was not a title fight). He was the first to beat Carr, Campas, De La Hoya, Vargas and Read among other lesser opponents.

Camacho was not exactly in his best weight when he fought Tito, but he did go on to win 20 fights after that till he met DLH and lossed again.

Whitaker was far from his best but Tito did give him his first unquestionable loss. To this day Tito is the only fighter who has looked good against Whitaker.

You should see some of his early fights, there are few fighters that match his offensive arsenal.

Whitaker showed a lot of heart against Tito even though he was well past his prime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo "Finito" Lopez

Whitaker showed a lot of heart against Tito even though he was well past his prime.
    Yes, he sure did. He knew he was no longer capable of out boxing Tito so he actually went after him and took his best for 12 rounds. He even rocked Tito with a big uppercut in one of the middle rounds.

The biggest problem many fans have with Tito is not that he lossed to B-Hop and Wright, it is that he retired after both losses when he should've kept boxing. But those of you who don't live in PR cannot fully appreciate the outcry of puertorrican supporters who were pleading for Tito to retire after his losses. They said he had nothing more to proove and should quit before he got hurt. I was not one of them though and I am a firm beliver that Tito should not have retired. At least not after the Hopkins fight when he was still in his prime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A few things i would say as a avid boxing fan who's favourite all time fighter is felix trinidad is these..

His quality of opponents were very good.. Even as a up and coming fighter having won the ibf welterweight title in his 20th fight..against maurice blocker.. He fought great opposition and the ones that werent great or great enough were often dispatched of quickly and in a very entertaining style..

Before stepping up to the major time he fought the likes of Maurice Blocker for the title and ko'd him in the second round putting him on his face with a barrage of punches

Hector Camacho another big fighter from puerto rico..Tito fought hard and tried to make this an entertaining fight.. And lets not fanny about Macho was a very good slick fighter but the level of hunger tito had and the great shape he was in he just kept on coming and once camacho had tasted tito's power he held on for dear life and held and held and really spoilt the fight.. So if you were to look up tito fights and your looking for relevance then i shouldnt watch this spoiler..

He faced a prime undefeated Yuri Boy Campas who was 56-0 over 40 ko's although he had fought most of if not pretty much all these fights in mexico he was renound as a massive puncher and there were very few who would fight him... There was some trouble with yuri getting the fight and he had to take some action mainly because don King didnt want to take the risk but in a short entertaining fight tito was dropped on a short left hook as he was in many early fights of his , this was believed to be due to tito's struggle to make weight at welterweight and they said it would take a little out of his legs to make such a low weight as tito was one of many famous welterweights who were incredibly tall for the weight..Anyway.. In handing yuri boy his first defeat he caught him with a combo on the ropes in the fourth and no joke snapped his head right back over the ropes and landed several flush power shots.. The shots were much like the ones corrales landed on castillo with campas' head over the back rope..

then not a few fights later but the very next fight he fought undefeated oba carr.. Lots of fighters tipped as prospects never fight even to this day and its huge risk to pitt prospects against eachother but they met and this was another time in which tito would be floored early but come back to win by knockout in the 8..

See the thing is about tito was that for one.. After a cirtain ammount of fights dont hold me to numbers but he had been dropped early maybe within 4 or 5 rounds in about 11 fights.. and half a dosen of those times they were all in the second.. But in all those fights he had come back to win..

And you must understand while this was at times a worryy.. Perhaps at one time he would get caught early and this next time it would be by a huge puncher and tito may never get up... But this added to tito's appeal for some reason.. He had this vulnerability to him where he was always in with the best he could .. and he would be put down.. but would come back to win in extroadinary fashion..

And also understand that at the time two of the biggest names in boxing and now in boxing history were De la Hoya and Felix Trinidad..

One one hand De la hoya was fighting great opposition and winning..Undefeated like trinidad, Good looking and bringing the money with all these teenage female fans..

But people wouldnt give oscar his props.. He fought and destroyed the Great julio cesar chavez..Twice.. And all the while as a mexican american he felt like many do a great sense of pride of his mexican roots and wanted his mexican fans on board..But nobody realy gave him a break..At the same time he got in close bouts although he got wins against quartey and whittaker.. and what people were looking for was theyr classic hispanic warrior who would do them proud but oscar was too pretty, and was having a tough time..

Where as i suppose tito's fans were very proud of him and he'd never been in that close a fight and he seemed more like the warrior they were looking for..Course he wasnt mexican but im sure that didnt matter and that didnt stop mexicans rooting for him.. and thats what eventually led to one of the biggest fights in boxing history when de la hoya and trinidad fought...

One thing i always liked about tito is some of the little things..

When he used to touch gloves with a fighter he would foooooking wallop theyr gloves.. Really quite harsh but they never liked that and as soon as the bell rang that was tito inside theyr head..

two.. I always enjoyed his ring walk.. He truely appreciated his fans and he would smile and sing during his ringwalk.. A very patriotic man and you felt like he would give his all for his fans..

Bfeore i ramble anymore... Fights to look up imo

Tito Vs..

Campas

Leushing

thiam

vargas

joppy

ried

mayorga

Always my favourite of all time
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The best WW of his time
    One of the hardest punchers
    He was exciting to watch throught his career

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo "Finito" Lopez

Yes, he sure did. He knew he was no longer capable of out boxing Tito so he actually went after him and took his best for 12 rounds. He even rocked Tito with a big uppercut in one of the middle rounds.

The biggest problem many fans have with Tito is not that he lossed to B-Hop and Wright, it is that he retired after both losses when he should've kept boxing. But those of you who don't live in PR cannot fully appreciate the outcry of puertorrican supporters who were pleading for Tito to retire after his losses. They said he had nothing more to proove and should quit before he got hurt. I was not one of them though and I am a firm beliver that Tito should not have retired. At least not after the Hopkins fight when he was still in his prime.
    I just think Tito should have never moved up to Middleweight, there were plenty of amazing match ups for him at Lightmiddleweight and Welterweight. Like rematch with Oscar De La Hoya, Shane Mosley, and possibly even Mayweather. I respect Tito i think he is great fighter one of the best WW's of all time, i do think it has tarnished his legacy slightly retiring when he lost both times, but it doesn't change what he achieved below Middleweight.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC's to all you guys.

thanks for all the info....especially BHB.

http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC's to all you guys.

thanks for all the info....especially BHB.

Tehe :P

Backatcher Always glad to ramble about felix trinidad
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wish Trinidad would of fought Ike Quartey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    The best WW of his time
    One of the hardest punchers
    He was exciting to watch throught his career

I am really dissappointed that you and Violent Demise did not score the Tito Vs Oscar fight in the sweetpea thread, I really wanted to know what you guy's scored the fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would be in the same situation as ono.

Wasnt there some controversy over the way he wrapped his hands though? I heard it made it the equivalent of a having a knuckle duster in a bare knuckle fight.

Is all this Bullsh1t or does it have some merit?
    "Run along dear, man talk" James Bond, 007, Goldfinger(1964)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Quartey alway's wanted to retire after he lost, he had that in common with Tito. After the loss to Oscar he should have pursued the fight with Tito but he was bitchy about the Oscar decision for years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He recieved stardom after he beat Oscar, he was only 26 at that point, he was very young at the time of his fame. Oscar was the start of his incredible run and Joppy was the end. I thought he looked great in his return against Mayorga. The guy is my favorite fighter of all time behind Pernell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    As do i.. There were a couple fights i would have loved to see come off which never quite did..

Namely the other main one was a bout at 154 with terry norris.. That would have been huge in the history books..

They tried a long time for that fight but it never came off.. Call it a hunch but i blame don king..
    Immortal Technique

Thread Information