Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: When Do You Get Hit?

Toney doesn't do anything that the old guys like Walcott and Moore never used to do. He was built on the same foundations these fighters were built on. One of the problems with fighters today is they don't want to dig in and analyze the whole thing. They just want to be regular fighters that do the same regular things that others do. Try to bring up one of the old fighters in a conversation. That conversation won't last long.

ICB Guest

When i lose concentration sometimes my mind is totally not on boxing at all and im thinking of all other things in my head. And i can't see the punches coming and i can't anticipate the punches. But everyone has off days its just something you got to live with.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bhb you make a lot of sense. One point its always amused me. Why is it all the defensive masters well most of them cant put a sentence together, but the ones who werent can. Now not mentioning names, but I no of one guy in the 60s by you punching yourself out on him he would ware you down and beat you he was a rated fighter. 40 years on he does the Times crossword in 20 minutes. The clue is what happens in the gym this guy rarely sparred, the clever ones do. The answer to me is getting the balance right. the guys who want to be the champ in the gym dont become Champions of the world or very rarely. They dont leave it in the gym.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Bhb you make a lot of sense. One point its always amused me. Why is it all the defensive masters well most of them cant put a sentence together, but the ones who werent can. Now not mentioning names, but I no of one guy in the 60s by you punching yourself out on him he would ware you down and beat you he was a rated fighter. 40 years on he does the Times crossword in 20 minutes. The clue is what happens in the gym this guy rarely sparred, the clever ones do. The answer to me is getting the balance right. the guys who want to be the champ in the gym dont become Champions of the world or very rarely. They dont leave it in the gym.
    Toney wasn't really a defensive master, he had good defense but he did get hit with a lot of flush punches, plus he has took bombs from fighters who are much bigger than him naturally, like Samuel Peter, Jirov etc.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Icb, not saying he is making a point to bhb.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

ICB Guest

Icb, not saying he is making a point to bhb.
    I was basically saying it to the people that thought that way mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bhb you make a lot of sense. One point its always amused me. Why is it all the defensive masters well most of them cant put a sentence together, but the ones who werent can. Now not mentioning names, but I no of one guy in the 60s by you punching yourself out on him he would ware you down and beat you he was a rated fighter. 40 years on he does the Times crossword in 20 minutes. The clue is what happens in the gym this guy rarely sparred, the clever ones do. The answer to me is getting the balance right. the guys who want to be the champ in the gym dont become Champions of the world or very rarely. .They dont leave it in the gym
    truth that ! cc enjoyed the read.. one can get old quick in the gym wars

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Generally I get hit if i over commit on punches. As a resultant I may withhold punches and then get hit.

I find that when I'm sharp and my offense is in good shape, I get hit a lot less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah overcommitting on punches is the primary reason you will ever get hit in boxing. You put your body out of a position to defend and more importantly I notice that when fighters are committing hard into their punches they are in a kind of an attack mind set. During this they are just purely focusing on the act of punching and landing their punch. This of course has the consequence of being unaware of everything else that is happening. they see one thing and everything else disappears.

they make themselves unaware.

Thats an interesting phenomena for the counter-puncher to consider. He wants to try to encourage his opponent to overcommit. The only thing to consider next would be how might you go about encouraging him to overcommit on his punches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain
    As a resultant I may withhold punches and then get hit.
    do you mean you commit less to your punches (you pull them/ throw them just short of landing) or do you mean you just stop punching?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd get hit for stupid things like looking at my opponents hands, getting caught out of position, but for the most part just plain being unaware of what's happening.

To name a few here's some of the fighters who embody the essense of awareness that come to mind, Pernell Whitaker, Mike McCallum, Roy Jones, Floyd Mayweather jr. and oh yeah-- I can't leave out Wilfredo Benitez, and Nicholino Locche.

They all had the uncanny awareness of what was happening in the present, right down to as it was unfolding. They could see how their opponent was trying to counter, among many other things. On their high level of fighting they could basically steer the fight into any direction that they wanted.

I think part of it has to do with familiarity with particular situations, using your stance and punches to tone down the unpredictability or options of your opponent, but ultimately observing actions as they unfold and knowing what to do when the time comes.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain
    As a resultant I may withhold punches and then get hit.
    do you mean you commit less to your punches (you pull them/ throw them just short of landing) or do you mean you just stop punching?
    Absolutley, missing and getting countered knocks confidence, it disencourages you to throw punches and when you do they may be shorter.
    I used to have this problem a lot when I was younger.

Thread Information