Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How do you beat Charley Burley

Hey Guys, I'm pretty interested in all of those old school stylists. Any idea of any footage of the other members of the black Murderers row?

Alos does anybody know where I could find some footage or Images of Jack "non-paraleil" Dempsey. (Not the Heavyweight obviously.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a bit difficult to answer the thread question when there is only 1 fight of the guy. We have not seen any of his other losses,and I highly doubt there is an excuse for each and every single one of them.I am not denying how good he was,but merely pointing out that we have 1 fight of his,it's only going to tell us so much about him.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you think the month before Smith Kod Loyd Marshall and was to Draw at that time with Archie Moore He certainly was no mug and Charlie was 18lbs lighter gives you a few clues just how good Burley was then in the period at that time and past his best. Just look at some of the little things he is doing, dont see it now
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    When you think the month before Smith Kod Loyd Marshall and was to Draw at that time with Archie Moore He certainly was no mug and Charlie was 18lbs lighter gives you a few clues just how good Burley was then in the period at that time and past his best. Just look at some of the little things he is doing, dont see it now
    a clever fighter from what I’ve seen in small clips. could gauge the moment , seize the opportunity all while evading incoming fire.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    I would have loved to have seen Charley Burley vs Archie Moore, i heard Burley gave him a right pasting dropping him multiple times. What a shame there isn't more footage of Burley.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He wasnt mob controlled, If you were a Main eventer in those days the Mob had a control, yes it makes you think.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin View Post
    Burley looks kind of like a freak the way he fights but his stance and style are completely identical to fighters from the 20's-30's like Canzoneri, Leonard, McLarnin and the like. These guys fight beautifully I think they were the most skilled fighters ever. Its kind of hard to convince people because they look so strange compared to the way people fight today but you can see why they are effective in watching Burley. You can also see some of that in Floyd Mayweather who is a throwback himself and as dominant as Floyd is he could not hold a candle to those fighters.
    i love watching old school fighters for this exact reason. they each had style that i for some reason think is more refined then fighters nowadays. But the likes of Jersey Joe, SRR, Kid Gavilan. them pugilizing is a thing of beauty.

so what major differences do you guys see in the styles and stances of old generation fighters vs the new?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People forget one thing, it happened in 68. Rubber soles came in, which changed the concept of a technique called polishing the floor. With leather soles it was perfect, Rubber soles changed all that it couldnt be done to much Friction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    People forget one thing, it happened in 68. Rubber soles came in, which changed the concept of a technique called polishing the floor. With leather soles it was perfect, Rubber soles changed all that it couldnt be done to much Friction.
    shittt...i bet ya thats how the old schoolers could create so much speed and momentum with their left hooks. no rubber soles to slow down the pivot. whats 'polishing the floor' exactly? is it the shoeshine short uppercuts to the guts with both hands kinda thing?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its where you could shuffle without leaving the floor, the base was better, so reaction was sharper. Having worn both theres a lot to be said for Leathers, although rubber gives better friction for drive it does make it less natural for balance, it was the days when you used Resin on the soles for grip.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I mentioned in this thread I know a friend who based himself on Burley, he's a cracking amateur.

The only way to get the best of him is acute timing with the jab.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

what if darchinyan actually fought this way

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Burley was a great fighter: skill, balance, toughness ..... those guys had to have it all as they were fighting 4 or 5 times a month. Contenders earned their shots then rather than fattening up their records on tomato cans and then being found out at the big time.

Burley was a masterful boxer with a good chin, so a fast starter or a big puncher didn't faze him .... you needed to be a bigger technically sound and slick boxer to beat him (like Ezzard Charles).

How do you beat Charley Burley ....... invent a time machine and bring Sam Langford in to fight him !!!

They could fight for the World Championship of 'Black boxers who were too good to get to fight anyone'
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I said "what if Darchinyan actually fought this way" I didn't mean he'd beat this fighter I meant what if Vic actually fought with this kind of style.
    Watching this footage I think Darchinyan would need to greatly improve his lead hand. Where Vic has to wait for his opponent to lunge in and walk into an uppercut this guy just snipes them with his lead hand.

Thread Information