Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Circle Lefto or Circle Right?

Hi, guys. This is my first time here, and I didn't see a FAQ, so I thought I'd throw this question out there.

If you and your opponent are both in a left lead stance (neither are south paws), is it generally better to circle to your left or to your right?

I trained at a kickboxing school for about two years, and we circled right - away from the power hand. Several months ago, I moved and started training at an MMA school. The instructor here says to circle to the left, in order to crowd the power hand (and reduce its power). When I went back to visit my first school this weekend, my first instructor said that that is wrong.

So, what do you guys thing? What is the "official" boxing world's recommendation - Left or Right... or both, depending on the situation. If both, then when would I go in each direction?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Circle Lefto or Circle Right?

WELCOME!

When ever I switch to that stance I always circle right

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes as a general rule you would circle right away from the other blokes right cross.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks, guys. I'm a stickler for proper technique (maybe too much), so I really want to make sure I don't pick up any bad habits.

Are there any times when you *would* want to circle the other way, or is that just such a bad idea in general that you would never want to do it? Do you get too predictable by circling the same way all the time? Or, does that really matter as long as your technique is good?

Sorry if these are newbie questions... but... well... I'm a newbie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think it's better to move away from his power shots.
    but when he throws it, it is the most safe to move to the other side(away from his hand that is still in possition).
    and throw your counter over or under his arm, i pref the left hook in this case (althoug this is pretty obvious to counter with, most of the time i find out there ain't mutch they can do to avoid it from landing).

i sometimes step in punching moving towards his strong arm, (only if i know he is slow on his feet), so i catch him when he is or even befor adjusting to my possition, and he ends up in a square like position, so it is easy to punch him off balance. some even drop their defence a little as they try to get there balance back, then you can finish them of if u like, but since it was only during sparring sesions, i just threw half or less power, to let em know his mistake.

but there is always a risk of them catching you with a power shot as you come in.
    so i know i wont be doing this in my first bout.Â

OH yeah...... welcome

Â Â Â

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good point Confirm, It confirms (no pun intended) the need to be able to move both ways. If you want to counter punch or be affective against a southpaw.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Circle to the left...........if u circle to the right he will pop u with the jab all day long.....ever watch Ali........in my gym im the littelest guy there....im only 16...im 5'7 and 114 pounds....everyone atleast outweighs me by 40 or more pounds.....but yet i beat all of them and the key is footwork and ciciling......i get trained by Howard Davis.....hes a former olympic gold medalist and was on Sugar Ray Leonards Olympic team.......now when your circling to the left.......it messes up their whole stand because they have to move their feet and it screws up their rythem and concentration....now when your circling to the left keep pumping your jab in their face....dont throw in to much but just enough to make them not get into a good rythem.....now the second he throws a jab....back up because most boxers dont throw a straight right b4 a jab.......its all about tricking them...so when your circling get them mad and dodge their jab and pump it in their face....then move back a little and lore them in and the second the get into your range....Pop them with a Straigt Right hand....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Most boxers seem to circle left, and I would, (provided I was a right-handed fighter) because my opponents right hand won't have as much power. If you move right, you may be away from his power hand, but he might twist on around and land a deadly punch on you...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Circle away from the boxers back hand (if the boxer is southpaw or left handed circle away from his left hand if he is authodox or right handed cirlcle away from his right hand)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

learn to do both but most books and coaches will tell you to move away from the power hand.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

it is funny that everybody said to move away from the power hand of your opponent because nobody actually does it and those that do are in flight and can't fight going to the right. That is because it is more involved to jab as you circle right. Ali couldn't do it. You need to be able to move both ways so as not to be predictable, but keep this in mind: circle left or circle right. side to side movement is a joke. The ring is square so one must circle and control of the circle is the key to the game. When you circle right do it this way: slide your lead foot about 2" to the right then pivot on it until you are again in your basic stance. You can jab from here using what Charley Burley called a rising jab- archie moore used it, too. This way of moving gives you a positional advantage on your foe, outside his left shoulder, and from here you can punch with tremendous power, both with the right and the hook. Experiment a bit and you catch the timing between hand and foot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

r u dumb...ALI couldnt circle to the left? that was his whole figting style....if u circle to the right ur gunna get nailed

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you misunderstand, my friend. What I said was that Ali couldn't fight moving to his right- the KO in the 2nd Liston fight not withstanding. And yes you can get nailed going that way- to the right- if you forget about the hook. (see Forrest v. Mosley 2 @4th or 5th round) But its much less likely and if you move as I described you will treat your opponent to some unique punching angles

Thread Information