Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default HBO wake the hell up.

The show 24/7 is a smashing success, everybody loves it. Why would you only want to televise the program a couple of times a year, you should do it a couple of times a month. I am not saying Tito Vs Jones needs 4 shows or 3,2, all I am saying is give the fight at least one episode and let everybody get into the fight, I guarantee that it would generate at least an extra 100,000-150,000 PPV buy's alone so it's worth the investment, I cant believe they are dropping the ball on this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: HBO wake the hell up.

Also, what are they doing limiting the amount of views 24/7 gets? They took it off google vids and youtube?!!!
    Isn't the purpose of the programme topublicise the fight. With such a great series if they allowed more people to se it free they would no doubt increase ppv sales.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brazilianbomber

The show 24/7 is a smashing success, everybody loves it. Why would you only want to televise the program a couple of times a year, you should do it a couple of times a month. I am not saying Tito Vs Jones needs 4 shows or 3,2, all I am saying is give the fight at least one episode and let everybody get into the fight, I guarantee that it would generate at least an extra 100,000-150,000 PPV buy's alone so it's worth the investment, I cant believe they are dropping the ball on this.
    Well they do give most all of their fights at least one episode. It's called "Countdown to ..."

I think 24/7 is still in pilot mode. Not sure they are sold on it's success just yet.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope to God they don't pruduce more than one or two shows a year. The whole reason these shows are special is that they mark a unique superfight. If every remotely big fight gets a show then it will just become meaningless.

they will and should reserve it for the truly prestigious events in the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You also need the right personality. Floyd is colorful enough to make any 24/7 work but if you had two fighters like ODL fighting eachother, there would not be much of a show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thing is the show cost a lot of money to make...even 100,000 extra buys won't really cover it...

Between insurance, casting, camera men, travel, (and yes they do have to pay some guys ion the show a fee) and about 100 other things I can't name off the top of my head...

Not too mention some camps are Ass holes about it and think they need be compensated for the privledge of the public viewing their fighter...

Too many aspects go into making the show...Countdown is much easier...most of it is just editing and some interviews..
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As people have already mentioned, the 2 big reasons that 24/7 will only be done for certain fights are:
    1. Cost
    2. Personalities of the fighters (including whether or not they speak fluent English)

4 episodes is a lot of time, and therefore you need guys who will provide entertainment and quotes. For example, there was no way a fight like Cotto-Mosley would ever get a 24/7, because neither of those ever says anything controversial. And while Cotto has done a great job at learning English, he's still not overly fluent in it.

Hopkins-Calzaghe is a natural for it, just like Floyd-Hatton was. Both guys speak English, and both have a way with words and enjoy trash-talking.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea
    As people have already mentioned, the 2 big reasons that 24/7 will only be done for certain fights are:
    1. Cost
    2. Personalities of the fighters (including whether or not they speak fluent English)

4 episodes is a lot of time, and therefore you need guys who will provide entertainment and quotes. For example, there was no way a fight like Cotto-Mosley would ever get a 24/7, because neither of those ever says anything controversial. And while Cotto has done a great job at learning English, he's still not overly fluent in it.

Hopkins-Calzaghe is a natural for it, just like Floyd-Hatton was. Both guys speak English, and both have a way with words and enjoy trash-talking.
    Trust me there is no way in hell Calzaghe Hopkins will get a 24/7 show. You've got a man in his mid 40's who the HBO commentators have urged to retire following his absolute stinker of a fight with Winky Wright versus the man responsible for the lowest viewing figures for a championship fight in HBO history.

This fight will be lucky to even make it to PPV. I'm not even sure it will merit a Countdown To show to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    This fight will be lucky to even make it to PPV. I'm not even sure it will merit a Countdown To show to be honest.
    This fight will absolutely be a PPV. You're selling it short.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It completely MERITS a countdown show, you have 2 greats of our time facing off, whether they will get one due to fuckin business matters is another question and they probably won't. All I know is I am going to be watching that fuckin fight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Cost

Trust me there is no way in hell Calzaghe Hopkins will get a 24/7 show. You've got a man in his mid 40's who the HBO commentators have urged to retire following his absolute stinker of a fight with Winky Wright versus the man responsible for the lowest viewing figures for a championship fight in HBO history.

If tarver-hopkins was a ppv then this is a sureshot PPV. I am sure Hopkins will try to reignite the British-American rivalry.
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chamiley
    1. Cost

If tarver-hopkins was a ppv then this is a sureshot PPV. I am sure Hopkins will try to reignite the British-American rivalry.
    The Tarver fight was a much bigger fight though as far as mainstream America goes. You had Bernard Hopkins stepping up two weight classes to fight the man who knocked out Roy Jones and was the universallyrecognised light heavyweight champ.

I agree Calzaghe is a bigger challenge and a much more entertaining fighter but stateside he has zero marketability. When he fought Kessler the fight was on for FREE and it scored the lowest television figures for a HBO Championship fight ever!

Considering that level of mainstream disinterest how could HBO possibly justify the cost and expense of a 4 part 24/7 show?

I'm not talking about the talent of the fighters or how much we want to see it, I'm talking merely about mainstream American.

For mainstream America it's probably not that big a deal. Hopkins isn't a big PPV star and Calzaghe clearly has zero pulling power in the states.

It's not even a dead cert for PPV. It probably will be but Margarito Williams wasn't, I don't think the upcoming Klitschko Ibragimov fight is so there is a chance that this fight won't be either.

Realistically it most likely be a PPV and get a Countdown To episode. That would be a fair amount of coverage for the fight, there just isn't enough stateside interest for it to merit much more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hope to God they don't pruduce more than one or two shows a year. The whole reason these shows are special is that they mark a unique superfight. If every remotely big fight gets a show then it will just become meaningless.

This is a great point and I agree with you, but the problem is that what determines a "unique superfight" is subject to debate and perspective. For example, a Mayorga-Vargas fight might not be considered a "unique superfight" because they may be perceived as two washed up guys going at it, but maybe not in the eyes of Latin American boxing fans. Also, the personalities and personal stories of both would call for a 24/7 focus on both. Tito has a large fan base and always had huge pay per view numbers and Jones is an all time great. Though these two can be considered past their primes, their legacies may warrant a 24/7 focus. To reiterate my main point, it is tough to decide what is a true "unique superfight," but the show does promote boxing and fan interest. HBO should really develop an organized plan for this show for the benefit of boxing and its fans.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rican

This is a great point and I agree with you, but the problem is that what determines a "unique superfight" is subject to debate and perspective. For example, a Mayorga-Vargas fight might not be considered a "unique superfight" because they may be perceived as two washed up guys going at it, but maybe not in the eyes of Latin American boxing fans. Also, the personalities and personal stories of both would call for a 24/7 focus on both. Tito has a large fan base and always had huge pay per view numbers and Jones is an all time great. Though these two can be considered past their primes, their legacies may warrant a 24/7 focus. To reiterate my main point, it is tough to decide what is a true "unique superfight," but the show does promote boxing and fan interest. HBO should really develop an organized plan for this show for the benefit of boxing and its fans.
    You have to remember that HBO is a broadcast network and ultimately what constitutes a 'superfight' for them will be the fights that will generate them the most PPV buys.

I can't remember for certain but I'm sure Vargas Mayorga was a Top Rank production and not even on HBO so obviously that wouldn't qualify.

I think the limit of the superfights will be very tight. HBO know all too well that they don't want to spoil it by making it a common occurance. My guess is that the only fight that could conceivably be made right now that would get the full 24/7 treatment would be Mayweather Cotto.

You have to remember that the De La Hoya Mayweather was the biggest PPV event of all time and so certainly qualifed as a superfight. Mayweather Hatton I believe was the biggest PPV event ever that didn't involve Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis or Oscar De La Hoya so again another true superfight.

There are no other events Cotto Mayweather aside that could conceivably come close to matching those numbers so I'd say right there that that's your 'superfight' definition.

The only possible fight I can think of this coming year that could merit such a show is the Pavlik Taylor rematch. It's for boxing's second most prestigious title historically, i.e to be the universally recognised middleweight champ. The first fight was voted Fight of the Year, and it features not only two Americans but also a white American. Not that this should have anything to do with race but when was the last time America had a white pure American superstar? Oscar is part Mexican and count's South America as much as North America as his home and fanbase but Pavlik is a pure American star, and he's white and happens to be a huge puncher as well.

His marketability could be phenomenal and a 24/7 show based on this fight would be a good choice.

But I have no idea what kind of numbers this fight will do and I'm sure HBO decision will be based on estimated PPV buys. I doubt the rematch will top 600,000 buys and that may not be a 'superfight' by HBO's definition.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry dude,I have to totally disagree. 24/7 should be saved for the mega fights otherwise it'll lose it's novelty. Heck,it's not even as if this fight is of any great significance in the grand scheme of things other than to us hardcore fans.

Thread Information