Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Skelton fights for world title in 2 weeks - anyone interested ??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Matt Skelton fights for world title in 2 weeks - anyone interested ??

Skelton v Chagaev : 19th January

Isn't it amazing that a British fighter fights for the 'world heavyweight title' in a couple of weeks and that no one seems to give a shit. It's getting hardly any coverage over here and I have to be honest I don't even know what version of the title it is for - or even if its actually on tv over here !!! Guess it must be on somehere ?!?

How times have changed Can you imagine this in Bruno's day !!

Long term damage by the alphabet boys here - it's certainly a sign of how poor and fragmented the heavyweight division has become
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Matt Skelton fights for world title in 2 weeks - anyone interested ??

It would be definitely good if he wins it for the UK but I just don't see it happening.

If he does by chance you can imagine the 1st defence. The rubber v Williams matchup and the winner to face Fraudley and then the heavyweight roundabout has started .

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Matt Skelton fights for world title in 2 weeks - anyone interested ??

It'll be on Setanta. It's a pity that he's not getting any publicity. A little support may help him a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Must be gutting his last fight was the most boring fight I've ever seen.

How he managed to get a title shot after it fuck knows.

I'll probably watch out of curiosity,great if he wins.
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Honestly is anyone interested in the heavyweights at the moment it's the most boring time in that division that I can remember in 50 years of watching boxing. some months ago I was looking at the world amateur rankings & had to go down the weights to middleweight before I found a rated yank,it says so much about the sport . there used to be a saying " as goes the heavyweights so goes boxing" certainly as far as the USA goes this seems true until a Tyson like fighter comes out of nowhere & fires the imagination I think except for a few big fights in the lower weight groups boxing will remain 2nd best to all the other sports over there.Haye v Macca also delays any possible resurgence of the heavys over here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I must admit it is not the most appealing fight...I don't like Chagaev and Matt is OK...So the hype is not there but personally I would like to see Skelton pull it out...Mainly on a sentimental side...

40yr old who started late after a somewhat professional K1 Career...(Not many Kickboxers who turn to pro boxing even make it to a title shot)....Family man, Nice guy....one of those do well stories....I don't see him holding it long if he does win but all the same
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whos this Skelton fella you speak of?
    Bring him to me at once....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't worry yank he will soon go away

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by telboy66
    Then dispose of him at once.

On a more serious note I was thinking he might pull off the upset special here. Would love to see Wladdy vs. Skelton...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm looking forward to it. I hope the big bear can pull an upset. I'm not looking forward to the heavyweight championship round robin that would doubtless occur in Britain if he did win. The idea of John McDermott conceivably being world champ by the end of 08 is something of a nightmare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chagaev does not seem like a champion that will go after the best, and when he does fight other top heavyweights he barely wins like Ruiz an Valuev. Skelton is almost 41 years old and this is probably the only chance hell get at becoming champion so hell be prepared but I dont give him too big a chance at the upset. Plus like some of you said taht would come with a cost cause Audley and Williams name might come back up.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't believe how silent the build up to this fight is. It's as if both fighters are trying to be champion by stealth so as not to attract attention from any of the other champions.
    I feel if Warren felt confident of a Skelton win he would publicise this to the rafters.

It makes me question whether or not Skelton has fallen out of favour with Warren.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO
    Skelton v Chagaev : 19th January

Isn't it amazing that a British fighter fights for the 'world heavyweight title' in a couple of weeks and that no one seems to give a shit. It's getting hardly any coverage over here and I have to be honest I don't even know what version of the title it is for - or even if its actually on tv over here !!! Guess it must be on somehere ?!?

How times have changed Can you imagine this in Bruno's day !!

Long term damage by the alphabet boys here - it's certainly a sign of how poor and fragmented the heavyweight division has become
    You have to remember all Brunos early bouts were on BBC so he was known to the public and he played the game and had funny catchphrases. He was more a personality than a boxer. i want Skelton to win and lets hope he doers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it the responsability of the boxer to play to the media or the responsability of the media to come to the boxer.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    Quote Originally Posted by telboy66
    Then dispose of him at once.

On a more serious note I was thinking he might pull off the upset special here. Would love to see Wladdy vs. Skelton.
    You sick, sick funker.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information