Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Anyone Read Any Chuck Palahniuk Books??

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anyone Read Any Chuck Palahniuk Books??

If your not familiar with him he is the Author of the book Fight Club that was turned into a great movie. He is also the Author of many other great books (I definately recomend reading some of his work). I was just wondering if anyone on here likes Chucks writing style, and if so can they recomend and Authors that are similiar. I heard Craig Davidson is really good and his book "The Fighter" is suppose to vary vary good I think I"m going to check that out next.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anyone Read Any Chuck Palahniuk Books??

Ive read all his books.. apart from - Rant.

I can only give you the predictable Bret Easton Ellis, Douglas Coupland (ive read plenty of their stuff) but I believe there's a huge Palahnuik-like list of Authors recommended by fans on his site.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    Ive read all his books.. apart from - Rant.

I can only give you the predictable Bret Easton Ellis, Douglas Coupland (ive read plenty of their stuff) but I believe there's a huge Palahnuik-like list of Authors recommended by fans on his site.
    Thanks man I'll take a look at the Authors you sugested? Have you heard of Craig Davidson like I mentioned in my first post? I guess his book "The Fighter" is supose to be similiar to the way Chuck rights, I just got in the mail I'm gonna start it soon.

So whats your Favorite Chuck Book, I would have to say mines Survivor, I really wish they would make that into a movie. I guess the "Choke" book is coming out as a movie soon, I'm looking forward to that.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hadn't heard of Craig Davidson. I haven't really read a book in ages. Might check "The Fighter" out.

Ive enjoyed all of Palahniuk's books. Especially a few years ago. Lots of chapters stick out because they read like separate short stories to me.

Hard to pick a favourite but "Survivor" ive read quite a few times. I remember finding "Lullaby" hilarious.. but have only read it the once

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have read "Survivor" "Choke" and "Lullaby"

This was all 3-4 years back, I haven't read any of his newer stuff. Survivor was my favorite just like you guys, that was a GREAT book. Choke was my second favorite. I didn't like Lullaby very much, and after reading that kind of lost interest.

I remember I tried reading "Fight Club" once, but after seeing the movie a hundred times back in high school I couldn't get into it.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like his stuff but I don't love it, not one of my favorite authors by any means. I forget all of what I've read, Survivor and Invisible Monsters I know I read for sure, I know I have Lullaby but I'm not sure I ever read it. Is Lullaby the one with the real estate agent and like a haunted house or something? I think I read like the first twenty pages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    I hadn't heard of Craig Davidson. I haven't really read a book in ages. Might check "The Fighter" out.

Ive enjoyed all of Palahniuk's books. Especially a few years ago. Lots of chapters stick out because they read like separate short stories to me.

Hard to pick a favourite but "Survivor" ive read quite a few times. I remember finding "Lullaby" hilarious.. but have only read it the once
    I actually just finished survivor, so far that is my fav. He has another one coming out sometime this year called "Snuff" or something I'm sure I'll read it when I get there, I still have a few more to get through before I have all of his current books he has released.

Yeah I heard nothing but things about Craig Davidsons "The Fighter" even Chuck himself said it was a really good book. I read what it was about and I was like shite I have to get this book and read it. I guess its his first novel. He has another book out called "Rust in Bones" but I guess its just a bunch of short stories compiled into a book. But I guess there all about like street fighting and things similiar to that.
    I read somewhere that He actually took steriods and took boxing lessons and had a few amatuers fights just so he would no more about what he was writing when he was writing the book "The Fighter" I'm actually gonna start it here in a few days, I'll definately let you know how it is once I start it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    I like his stuff but I don't love it, not one of my favorite authors by any means. I forget all of what I've read, Survivor and Invisible Monsters I know I read for sure, I know I have Lullaby but I'm not sure I ever read it. Is Lullaby the one with the real estate agent and like a haunted house or something? I think I read like the first twenty pages.
    Lullaby is one the with the Culing Song and yes it does have the real estate agent that sells haunted houses.
    I thought it was a pretty decent book, not his best but pretty good. Survivor to me is His best, maybe because I just finished it but I did really enjoy it I couldn't put that book down.

Who do you like as far as writers go?

I just recently got back into reading, I really didn't have time before but now I'm making time, I love reading a good book its almost like your in a different world and your watching other people lives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Choke was my favorite.. with Diary being a close second.

They are making that into a movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024715/

which i'm pretty excited for..

Also i've read that invisible monsters will be made into a movie with Jessica Biel being the girl in it, but i heard that a while back and nothing came of it so who knows..

I'd have to say that Bret Easton Ellis is probably the closest to Chuck as far as writing goes, as i love his books also.. Rules of Attraction was an incredible book..

Has anyone read Fugitives and Refugees by Chuck and/or Stranger than Fiction? Curious as to how you liked it..

I work at a Border's bookstore so it's sweet cause i get to just loan out any 2 books at once, so i was able to read through Chuck's work pretty cheap and easily as they're not too long of a read

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33

Also i've read that invisible monsters will be made into a movie with Jessica Biel being the girl in it, but i heard that a while back and nothing came of it so who knows..

I'd have to say that Bret Easton Ellis is probably the closest to Chuck as far as writing goes, as i love his books also.. Rules of Attraction was an incredible book..

Has anyone read Fugitives and Refugees by Chuck and/or Stranger than Fiction? Curious as to how you liked it..

I work at a Border's bookstore so it's sweet cause i get to just loan out any 2 books at once, so i was able to read through Chuck's work pretty cheap and easily as they're not too long of a read
    I also heard that Invisible Monsters was suppose to be made into a movie , I think that would be a hard movie for someone to pull off though especially since the main character has half of her jaw shot off, but I'm sure its possible.
    I'm looking forward to Choke in the theatres also, I'm hoping its as good of a portrayal as the fight club movie was.
    The two books you mentioned are still on my list that I need to read, I heard allot of people didn't really care of Stanger Than Fiction to much, what was your take on it?

I'll have to look into Bret Easton Ellis, thanks for the recomendation. Thats cool that your able to loan out books from borders.
    I just heard also from another site that Survivor is actually going to be made into a movie and the same guy that did "I am Legend" with Will Smith is supose to be making Survivor, I'm not sure when its suppose to be released but if that is correct info then I cant wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Wadeb_21
    Quote Originally Posted by RP33

I also heard that Invisible Monsters was suppose to be made into a movie , I think that would be a hard movie for someone to pull off though especially since the main character has half of her jaw shot off, but I'm sure its possible.
    I'm looking forward to Choke in the theatres also, I'm hoping its as good of a portrayal as the fight club movie was.
    The two books you mentioned are still on my list that I need to read, I heard allot of people didn't really care of Stanger Than Fiction to much, what was your take on it?

I'll have to look into Bret Easton Ellis, thanks for the recomendation. Thats cool that your able to loan out books from borders.
    I just heard also from another site that Survivor is actually going to be made into a movie and the same guy that did "I am Legend" with Will Smith is supose to be making Survivor, I'm not sure when its suppose to be released but if that is correct info then I cant wait.
    I haven't read either Fugitives and Refugees or Stranger than Fiction, but one of my co-workers read STF and liked it.. I was just curious cause i will eventually read it and was curious as to what to expect.

I think Choke would be a good film because it wasn't crazily in depth.. It will depend heavily on the actors i think though.. I think Chuck's books are made into good movies because of their length.. You're not trying to fit some 400-500+ book into an hour and a half movie (see: Harry Potter)

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Fugitives and Refugees" is a short travel book/autobiography thingy about all the "weirdos" in Portland.. I never realised Palahniuk was gay until reading some of the short stories in this.

I had read most of the essays and interviews in "Stranger than Fiction" on the net already. Personally i would stick the fiction stuff.

They were making Survivor into a movie with Kevin Spacey, but it was stopped because of 9/11.. if I remember right. Seems like ages and ages and ages ago

Thread Information