Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody here study Psychology or are intersted in it.....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anybody here study Psychology or are intersted in it.....

I'm studying A-Level Psychology and had my first exam today and it went pretty well.

Do any guys on here study psychology, have done in the past or are interested in it .

I had spent months revising and preparing so I'm pretty confident i'll get good results as I remembered the notes. ATM I have just done cognitive Psychology and attachments which covers these things, below is everything I had to study including remembering evaluations in each one, case studies and findings of research and a number of the topics below were tested on the exam today:

Short Term Memory (STM)
    Long Term Memory (LTM)
    Multi-Store Model Of Memory
    Alternative to the Multi-Store Model of Memory
    Emotional factors in forgetting
    Forgetting in STM
    Forgetting in LTM
    Flashbulb Memory
    Reconstructive memory
    Eyewitness Testimony
    Insecure and Secure Attachments
    Stages Of Attachments
    Privation
    Day Care on Cognitive and Social Development
    Cross-Cultural Variations
    Bowlby's Maternal Deprivation Hypothesis

I enjoy it although it's a S*** load of work, and that's just one unit as we start the second unit tommorow in class, I can't remember what it's on just yet but I'm sure a couple of people on here I noticed (I may be wrong) are interested in Psychology, do is interest you??.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anybody here study Psychology or are intersted in it.....

My sister is a doctor of psychology and aside from tutoring at Sydney Uni she has her own practice and looks after abused women and children.
    We have some great conversations,she is a very special person doing that job.
    She did her thesis on art therapy.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually Psychology directly ties in to boxing
    The difference between talent and running is in your head,I had a very talented heavyweight a while back
    He got torched in his first amateur bout
    Hey,it happens sometimes
    But this guy had legit skills to pay the bills
    Turns out he was pampered his entire life,and just didnt have that extra gear
    He's quit
    Im still pissed off about it,not even the training time,its the "H e could have been someone" part that bugs me

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    The difference between talent and running is in your head,I had a very talented heavyweight a while back
    Hey,it happens sometimes
    He's quit
    Im still pissed off about it,not even the training time,its the "H e could have been someone" part that bugs me
    You can only lead them mate, its up to them how much they drink.
    If your doing what you love to do,for no other reason, it can never be a waste of time.
    Oh well, he still is someone special;(the person he wants to be )and at the end of the day (for him)thats more important than anything else.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got a grade A in psychology A Level about 13 years ago.

I must admit looking at your exam topics it seems to have changed a bit since I did it.

The things that stick out in my mind are:

Festinger's theory of cognitive disonance
    Stanley Milgram's electric shock experiment
    Zimbardo's prison experiment
    B F SKinner and his work on rats.

I can't remember a whole lot else to be honest. I did Sociology and got an A in that too, plus a C in Religious Studies.

I then dropped out of uni after less than 6 weeks there, got a job portering in a hotel and then got cancer and did fuck all since.

What a waste

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't study psychology but have always been interested in it. One of my best friends studies Psychology at a high level and finds it so advanced that her life has become consumed with keeping psychology out of her personal and social life!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre
    Hey,it happens sometimes
    He's quit
    You can only lead them mate, its up to them how much they drink.
    If your doing what you love to do,for no other reason, it can never be a waste of time.
    Oh well, he still is someone special;(the person he wants to be )and at the end of the day (for him)thats more important than anything else.
    Odd how the human mind can work
    One guy,all the talent on earth,but his head wasnt in it,one butt whipping and he quits
    Another guy,not a shred of talent,and that exact personality that make you want to hit him,just a collection of "Oh dear god,he couldnt have been stupid enough to say that"s
    You know that guy,the guy who makes you say,"Hey some people really are raised by wolves,severly retarded ones at that"
    But one day,I had to actually say to the guy,"Dude,pack it up,I cant hit you anymore" I beat seven kinds of hell out of him,just couldnt hit him in good consience any more,not one more time
    If I could combine jerkoffs heart,and the other guys body and skills, Id be a VERY wealthy man right now,Id allready be looking at where I want my summer home

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of my best freinds is the highest practioners in the field, with an I Q of 181 one of the top in Mensa absolutaly brilliant. That was last year, now he is an alcoholic makes you wonder everybody has tried to help we had him for 3 months at our place. It was sad his mother and brother tried to get him sectioned. But hes higher qualified than the people who test him , its a sad story.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

am very interested in psychology.my younger sister graduated with a degree in psychology. am sometimes reading her books.

sometimes, it helps to know some concepts in psychology to be able to deal with people effectively. i'm interested in conducting researches in organizational behavior.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    I got a grade A in psychology A Level about 13 years ago.

I must admit looking at your exam topics it seems to have changed a bit since I did it.

The things that stick out in my mind are:

Festinger's theory of cognitive disonance
    Stanley Milgram's electric shock experiment
    Zimbardo's prison experiment
    B F SKinner and his work on rats.

I can't remember a whole lot else to be honest. I did Sociology and got an A in that too, plus a C in Religious Studies.

I then dropped out of uni after less than 6 weeks there, got a job portering in a hotel and then got cancer and did F*** all since.

What a waste
    WOW pretty cool bro and clever, Yeh I remember the work on rats i done that the other week but the other stuff you mentioned I have not heard of. Interesting anyway bro.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    One of my best freinds is the highest practioners in the field, with an I Q of 181 one of the top in Mensa absolutaly brilliant. That was last year, now he is an alcoholic makes you wonder everybody has tried to help we had him for 3 months at our place. It was sad his mother and brother tried to get him sectioned. But hes higher qualified than the people who test him , its a sad story.
    You know I get the feeling that he has hit the wall.
    MAny top high IQ men do.
    Some of best serial killers in history had a high iq and they went all the way in their own field and literally hit the wall.
    HEs a nice guy not blame society and lash out secretly.
    Funny isnt it, he now needs love dealt to him in hearts and its the only thing that can save him.
    ITs also the only thing psychologists havent learned from there studies of others.
    A loving personality or spirit may save him.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hes a lovely guy Andre always Helpfull with soul. Was doing great work with Cancer sufferers and getting amazing results. But he couldnt save his Sister with the illness, it broke Him.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh crap , self punishment can come along with grief in males more,
    alot of men dont know how to cry or thats its ok or they are aloud to share pain and they bottle it up.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

alot of men dont know how to cry or thats its ok or they are aloud to share pain and they bottle it up.
    Andre is dead on,self flaggelation is a very male thing
    We're built to think we can fix everything,and when we cant,especially with above average abilities,the train wreck happens
    Im really sorry for your friend,but most above average intelligence people end up like that,theres also a frustration with other people level you have to consider,a "Jesus Christ do I have to right you people a map!!!!!!!!" factor

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I tihnk our ego is alot larger than most womens through our thoughts and as you say (having to fix things) instead of feelings like in the difference betwen women and men and which part of our makeup we allow to run ourselves.
    Thoughts run away from you and your emotions follow along blindly until your caught in a catch 22 where the friction of the two becomes something enough to take the edge off the real first pain that caused it.
    The feelings if followed blindly have a real limit and you break down like compost and can regrow new better than before.
    Its so much harder to just give in to something thats bigger than you when your comming from thoughts instead of going with the feeling 100% and give in to it keeping your thoughts seperate from your feelings.I belive there is an exersice that allows you to do that butyou have to be consiously aware and not subconsiosly dragged along in survival mode like a dream state.
    Theres no internal fight if you refuse to allow it by taking one side or the other away so theres no friction,
    but then your left with the cold hard truth and how you feel about it ;that makes for a bigger man anyway.

Many people prefer the friction.
    Andre is dead on,self flaggelation is a very male thing
    We're built to think we can fix everything,and when we cant,especially with above average abilities,the train wreck happens
    Im really sorry for your friend,but most above average intelligence people end up like that,theres also a frustration with other people level you have to consider,a "Jesus Christ do I have to right you people a map!!!!!!!!" factor
    I tihnk our ego is alot larger than most womens through our thoughts and as you say (having to fix things) instead of going on base feelings ;
    like the difference betwen women and men and which part of our makeup we allow to run ourselves or (allow ourselves to be run off!!.) theres less control over the latter because you can litteraly hand over the controls like going on auto pilot which also becomes addictive).
    Thoughts run away from you and your emotions follow along blindly until your caught in a catch 22 where the friction of the two becomes something enough to take the edge off the real first pain that caused it.
    The feelings if followed blindly have a real limit and you break down like compost and can regrow new better than before.
    Its so much harder to just give in to something thats bigger than you when your comming from thoughts instead of going with the feeling 100% and give in to it keeping your thoughts seperate from your feelings.I belive there is an exersice that allows you to do that butyou have to be consiously aware and not subconsiosly dragged along in survival mode like a dream state.
    Theres no internal fight if you refuse to allow it by taking one side or the other away so theres no friction,
    but then your left with the cold hard truth and how you feel about it ;facing it makes for a bigger man anyway.
    If only we realised it to start with the ego part of our brain may feel safer going with it at the start.

Many people prefer friction first until the breakdown occurs physically before they give in mentally.

Thats just my take and of course I only got a basic education to year 8 and got the boot so I'll probably get shot to bits by a few physcology masters here ! I await my fate .

I can explain it.

Thread Information