Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Roy Jones Jr.'s Middleweight Title Reign

So I ordered that 12 disc set of Tuesday night Knockouts and there was an old NON-Title MW fight of Roy Jones after he beat B-hop. I did not know that he had 3 STRAIGHT NON-Title fights after winning the IBF against Hopkins. So my question is WHO were the other titlists at the time? Does anyone know? CC to to the first one to answer.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

ICB Guest

Default Re: Roy Jones Jr.'s Middleweight Title Reign

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk
    So I ordered that 12 disc set of Tuesday night Knockouts and there was an old NON-Title MW fight of Roy Jones after he beat B-hop. I did not know that he had 3 STRAIGHT NON-Title fights after winning the IBF against Hopkins. So my question is WHO were the other titlists at the time? Does anyone know? CC to to the first one to answer.
    Reggie Johnson, Chris Pyatt, Julian Jackson, I could be slightly off but i believe they were the other 3. Jackson did lose his title round about the same time Hopkins lost his, so it could of been Gerald McClellan instead.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    Reggie Johnson, Chris Pyatt, Julian Jackson, I could be slightly off but i believe they were the other 3.
    CC. Good work! This took FOREVER for someone to respond. So at this time where was Mike McCallum? The G-man hadn't beaten Jackson yet huh? I don't know the mid 90's MW scene very well at all.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    Reggie Johnson, Chris Pyatt, Julian Jackson, I could be slightly off but i believe they were the other 3.
    CC. Good work! This took FOREVER for someone to respond. So at this time where was Mike McCallum? The G-man hadn't beaten Jackson yet huh? I don't know the mid 90's MW scene very well at all.
    McCallum won Middleweight title off Sumbu Kalambay in 1991 he then vacated it i believe, then he fought James Toney for IBF Middleweight Title in 1991 and they drawed. They then rematched again in 1992 and McCallum lost a close decision. Then by 1993 McCallum started at Light Heavyweight i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't know much about the middleweights at that point either, but Pyatt was not world class. He was European level at best. That said, I loved it when he won the title.

Thread Information