0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nose Guards?

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by bikersk
    Thanks hitmandonny cc back. Well as a kid I loved boxing and started training around 14 or 15 i guess. Trained a lot but never did much though and only did that karate thing and some other MMA stuff i guess but not like it is now. I mostly did boxing training but a kick boxer trained me and my brother for a while. He helps train a guy here called the "Preacher" now who has or had Aus title had in Muay Thai i think. Have pretty much trained on and off, i'm 37 now and just got back into it this year (oops last year it's 08 now DOH). Im satisfied with training and sparring unless there is someone else around here as old and silly as me wants to.....

Um wasn't this thread about nose guards?
    The original point was that you could get by in full sparring without anything but a nose guard
    My point back was that you run a risk of repeat concussions that way,and if that does happen it turns up on your MRI's,and then you arent getting a liscence,which kind of defies that point of sparring doesnt it?
    It's a good point. I saw Valeros most recent fight the other day. They were saying he is having trouble being licensed in parts of the US due to results of an MRI. They said it was a result of a car accident or something - not sure but either way he's at the top of the tree and could really crack it big time in the us and his MRI is preventing that at the moment.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N.
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...4/johnson7.jpg

Here's another picture that you might like. I wish I could download his fights, but it's tough when your download speed is 5kbs.
    That's cool. Is that yours?

5kb that is slow.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin
    might look weird though
    Sure, but if you can see the punches coming it'll be worth it, clown nose and all.

When it comes to the wierd, I can imagine DeMarcus Corley wearing it in his ring walk.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If your peripheral vision is so piss poor that you cant see around a head guard,try tennis
    I seem to remember a thread a few months back when you realised that one of Fuer's bad habits was from trying to see wearing her head gear. With that in mind you wouldn't even try a slightly more streamlined headguard?

Was it Andre or someone who said thay had an idea of what might improve visibility with the headguards and you said you liked the idea so what's so bad about looking at and discussing other options now?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    If your peripheral vision is so piss poor that you cant see around a head guard,try tennis
    I seem to remember a thread a few months back when you realised that one of Fuer's bad habits was from trying to see wearing her head gear. With that in mind you wouldn't even try a slightly more streamlined headguard?

Was it Andre or someone who said thay had an idea of what might improve visibility with the headguards and you said you liked the idea so what's so bad about looking at and discussing other options now?
    Yeah, as I recall that was Thomas, and I believe that was in one of TM's threads.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla

The original post had seriously bare nose guards without padding,youve got to find a middle ground in most things.
    Yes the really big head pieces are ridiculous,but so is the idea of a,well,nothing piece
    A tight head piece thats sufficiently padded is better then none at all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just got a Mueller Nose Guard in the mail from amazon.com. The cheek area is too triangular and fits awkwardly over the face. What I mean is instead of being flat (to lay across your cheekbones) its very triangular so that it doesn't lay flat across the face.

I fiddled with the straps but because the plastic is so resilient it doesnt bend down to become flat without great effort. When you finally do adjust it enough to lay down flat instead of triangular the plastic is such its so strong that it wants to return to its original shape. You can imagine this causes incredible discomfort for your face! the plastic shield is literally squeezing into your cheekbones which is held flat by the straps but all the while trying hard to return to its default state. Your head is basically being crushed in this little conflict. Very uncomfortable.

I did get around to punching myself while wearing it though

It protects the nasal bridge perfectly. the shield doesn't even come close to touching the nasal bridge and I have a pretty decent nasal bridge. I find that it does squish the nose tip just slightly. The tip of the nose is just cartilidge and is designed to give a little bit so its not a big problem. It doesn't come in enough to break the nose or even enough to get a nose bleed.

Vision is great in that you can see nearly everything you could if you weren't wearing anything. Things directly below the cheekbone are blocked out though. Looking through the clear plastic shield is strange in that it blurs things slightly when appearing through the shield. So that there is a middle area in your vision that is slightly blurred.

Overall I found that it protects the face and nose very well but it was just too uncomfortable to wear. Almost to the point that I think I must have gotten a factory defect. I'm going to return the Mueller nose guard and try and get something else hopefully something more comfortable to wear.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cc Thomas Way to be proactive?
    If the cheek piecesare so hard and strong would I be right in sayyiong, they could potentially cause cuts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cause cuts to your opponent? I guess if he slams face first into your face. You'd be safe though

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah thats one possability.

But what I was thinking was
    1) If hit with sufficient force on the cheek would the plastic be forced in and cut you?

2) If hit directly with the glove could it possibly cut/tear the glove? Particularly amateur gloves?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The plastic is a smooth rolling design on the surface. There aren't any sharp edges anywhere. I would have a hard time seeing how it could possibly cut a glove.

The shield doesn't come into any contact with you except for at the tip of your nose where it can sort of tap you. The pads stop the plastic shield from sinking into the face they act as kind of a stopper.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Very good,
    Are you thinking of adapting a prototype and banging on a patent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe. All you would need to do is combine the nose guard with something to cover the ears, temples, and the back of the head. To be fair its kind of your idea since you were the first one to bring it up earlier in this thread.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not at all!
    You brought up the idea of the nose guard and a new system, I merely contributed my opinion.

In sparring I had been perfectly happy to tolerate the headgear when I had to wear it and throw it off when I could get away with it. You had the idea to think creatively and look into new ideas. So If you do wish to do something with your idea (and I genuinely feel you should) the credit is all yours Thomas.

Thread Information