Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Nose Guards?

I typed in headgear in google just to see how some models looked. I came across something interesting and potentially revolutionary? Maybe.

Its called a nose guard or nose protector. The kind basketball players wear when they have facial injuries i.e. Rip Hamilton, Lebron James...

This is interesting because it appears to protect not only the nose from direct impacts, but also the brow which is prone to cut. Originally, headgear for boxers was invented because fighters would often get cut in sparring which would postpone their upcoming fights. So headgear was invented to protect from cuts. Specifically headbutt induced cuts, which tend to appear on the brow. Over the years headgear began to lose touch with that idea. Excessive padding, cheek protectors, nose bars, even padding for the chin. The results of that create for an overly covered fighter who can barely see, is weighed down by the excessive bulk, and overly protected reducing the realism of being punched creating a false sense of security which translates to a fighters learning to take punches he has no business taking because there is a helmet protecting him.

These factors actually cause the fighter to be hit more than if he wasn't wearing any headgear at all.

In every boxing gym across the world you walk into you will see fighters using this kind of headgear in sparring. They tend to fight recklessly as it is nearly impossible to not fight recklessly when you can barley see.

I just wanted to know if anybody had any experience with these nose guards. They seem to able to protect from cuts along the brow in addition to protecting the nose. It appears that a direct impact would absorb on the pads which suspend the small plastic shield above the nose. They also are obviously light in weight and allow almost complete vision.

But I've never tested these or seen anyone using them for boxing.

I'm going to try and order one to see how it really works. If you have tried this before please tell me how it works and you're experiences. If you get one be sure to write a review for me.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00015QMME?...0&linkCode=asn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nose Guards?

Good idea.

Here's a link to a couple reviews that I've found on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/review/product...owViewpoints=1

It may also be worth considering the differences between different models, like the one that Rip Hamilton uses.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good finds I didn't see those reviews. I read one that said it did not protect the nose very well and another that said it was fine but cuts off vision directly below the cheekbones. The great question is whether or not the design is strong enough to withstand the impact of punches. Its weakest point seems to be head on right there on the center of the nasal bridge area. If lots of force can be directed purely to this bridge area then the shield may give way but with the relatively large striking area of a glove it shouldn't be a problem. Even if a punch were to land head on at the shield's weakest point the striking area would be large enough to distribute most of its force into the surrounding pads.

The design looks sound to me, depending on how sturdy the whole thing is. But in theory it should work.

I dont think these would work because there is no means to provide shock absorbtion. They seem to provide only slight protection to the nose and look geared towards maximizing visibility which is pretty important in basketball.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hmmm. Talking about shock absorbtion, I don't think that the small pads would not be an an issue as so long as it is not obstructing the wearer's peripheral vision. By the looks of it looks safe, maybe the guy that said it didn't protect your nose very well had a mask that didn't fit right. It's worth trying though.

I just remembered something... You mentioned before your own ideas in regards headgear, and described two triangles on both sides of the nose. Perhaps that would protect the bridge (boney part) of your nose as well with no weak spot in between the eyes. It's just some food for thought.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They look like a fine idea for their purpose, but they would require a huge amount of adaption for their purpose imo.

In boxing it is not only the face that requires protection, but also the temples, rear of the head, lower neck and ears. (As you're already aware I know)

However, what I'm saying is, is to integrate this idea into the boxing headguard, would alter it's design so much that it would be a completely different headguard...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris actually the design I was thinking is very similar to this. The nose is really a problem in boxing as it pokes out making it the first to absorb punches to the face. The two triangle pads were meant to in effect "flatten" the face so that the glove strikes the pads and not the nose. It prevents the nose from poking out so to speak. The design with the nose guard seems to have a similar objective but way more effective than my idea. For one thing its a thousand times less bulky and much lighter. The pads are smaller so it beats me in peripheral vision also.

Donny I guess you're right about all of that. Its seems almost dangerous to wear one of these. But thats the whole point. To get as close as you can to the real thing without having to worry about breaking your nose or getting cut. I don't think anything should be protected except for that because even conventional headgear won't prevent you from getting a concussion so why even have all that padding in the first place. I agree with you about having some padding at the rear of the head though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?i...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Ok I still haven't worked out how to imbed images. What do you guys think of the face masks they already make to fit onto TOP Ten headguards compared to these nose guards?
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen those before but never wore one. I've seen people spar in them as well as head gear with cage fronts. I think the thing to remember is that head gear was never intended to protect you from punches. They're only meant to stop cuts not to completely stop you from being punched.

It looks bulky to me but probably stops cuts and nose damage completely. The only thing is that it stops everything else too. To the extent that you depend on the headgear to protect you and do the work for you. But it looks like you have decent visibility with it. Might fog up from breathing.

Buts its better than this.

This headgear has zero visibility and only protects the nose from some angles. Its also extremely bulky and, despite actually being physically light, will still give you the feeling of being weighed down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah CC for your thoughts Thomas. Someone wanted me to get the face shield for the top ten head gear since I already own the top ten head guard.

I think I would probably rely on it too much though since I already fail to notice punches sometimes and forget to keep my guard up - I'd worry it might reinforce bad habits I already have.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin
    I've seen those before but never wore one. I've seen people spar in them as well as head gear with cage fronts. I think the thing to remember is that head gear was never intended to protect you from punches. They're only meant to stop cuts not to completely stop you from being punched.

It looks bulky to me but probably stops cuts and nose damage completely. The only thing is that it stops everything else too. To the extent that you depend on the headgear to protect you and do the work for you. But it looks like you have decent visibility with it. Might fog up from breathing.

Buts its better than this.

This headgear has zero visibility and only protects the nose from some angles. Its also extremely bulky and, despite actually being physically light, will still give you the feeling of being weighed down.
    I've used one just a couple of times like the red one there, different brand though. It doesn't even fit my big fat head too well and I didn't have too much trouble with vision. I could hear guys calling out "use the hook he won't see it coming" and things like that but i didn't notice much difference from the full open face ones really, and it did protect my nose ok.
    “If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” Muhammad Ali.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually what will get your liscence suspended,and for the longest amount of time,to the point where if you violate no contact conditions is a potential concussion.Thats why they have head guards
    If you have a TKO in Illinois your under 2 month suspension,in California,its one month,that isnt you cant fight,no contact sparring at all even with head guards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Concussions happen almost every time you spar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Concussions happen almost every time you spar.
    Not if your doing it right and wearing proper gear
    If your getting TKO level dropped every time you spar,pack it up,because youve got reptitve concussion syndrom and our obviously stacking your concussions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats true but not every concussion is from TKO level punches. Concussions differ in severity and even the slight ones will stack up. Headgear might reduce the impact of punches but they won't stop concussions. No headgear can do that. I think that instead of trying to reduce concussions with bulky helmets (which won't protect you from concussions anyway) its best to wear headgear that allows for the best vision and ease of movement. Stopping the impact of punches shouldnt be a job for the headgear it should be the job of the fighter.

Headgear whos concern it is to defend punches does the job for the fighter and ultimately gets them hit even more. The natural result is more concussions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thats true but not every concussion is from TKO level punches. Concussions differ in severity and even the slight ones will stack up. Headgear might reduce the impact of punches but they won't stop concussions. No headgear can do that. I think that instead of trying to reduce concussions with bulky helmets (which won't protect you from concussions anyway) its best to wear headgear that allows for the best vision and ease of movement. Stopping the impact of punches shouldnt be a job for the headgear it should be the job of the fighter.

Headgear whos concern it is to defend punches does the job for the fighter and ultimately gets them hit even more. The natural result is more concussions.
    Again,if you are getting TKO dropped,your getting suspended in the first case,period,even lax commisions like WV and Louisana will suspend you eventualy
    Youve got no shot of even getting a liscence in California where they run a battery of tests,including an MRI before they even pass you on
    Repetitive Concussion Syndrome shows up on an MRI
    And in the second case,headaches and lack of balance do not aid in the art of boxing,ever notice that guys whove taken a lot of big shots start getting easier to hit? Thats why

Thread Information