Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yea ,rocky marciano wouldnt be undefeated in the golden era, joe louis ....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default yea ,rocky marciano wouldnt be undefeated in the golden era, joe louis ....

wouldve had a short reign. i bring this up because every1 says oh rocky wouldnt be the legend he is if he had been in the golden era, but neither would joe louis...a point people fail 2 bring up.

marciano claim 2 fame--never lost a fight
    louis claim 2 fame--25 title defenses and longest reign in hw history

louis in the golden era--could he have made successful title defenses against - ali, frazier, foreman, norton--i say no, i can see louis with 1 or 2 defenses -then loosing 2 1 of those guys

marciano -- i cant even see becoming hw champ. loosing to all the above as well.

my point being if u gonna dis marciano for quality opp--u must dis louis as well

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: yea ,rocky marciano wouldnt be undefeated in the golden era, joe louis ....

Sure. I don't think either would have beaten Ali, Foreman, or Holmes at their best. I'd give Joe Louis a crack at Frazier, think he'd probably beat Norton, Shavers, Quarry, and the next tier.. He was a better boxer than Rocky, and noone was gunna beat those Golden era HW's with brawling tactics like Marciano, imo.

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: yea ,rocky marciano wouldnt be undefeated in the golden era, joe louis ....

Why does this matter?

Is there a point to this thread?

Rocky Marciano fought some great fighters, they were older but he beat them and he went undefeated....what else would he have to do to impress you? Apparently come back from the dead and fight Ali, Foreman, and Frazier.

Joe Louis successfully defended his title 25 times, he fought 7 times in one year WHILE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD and won all those fights on stoppage.

If we're looking back in time then we must admit Muhammed Ali wouldn't last in today's division, neither would Frazier, and neither would Foreman.

ICB Guest

They were great for that time but Heavyweights got bigger and stronger. But that doesn't mean anything they were still the best of there era even if you question there opposition you can't deny they fought everyone. And i think your forgetting Marciano would be in Cruiserweight division now which i think he would very well in. And lets not forget imagine if Marciano, Louis, were trained like modern fighters they would be even better. And i for 100 percent would give a prime Louis a shot against Ali in the 60s. Louis had such devastating power on the inside with his short little chopping hooks, there is a reason he is called one of the best punchers of all time and ditto for Marciano. Louis also had great hand speed sure he was flat footed but that doesn't mean he hasn't got a chance against Holmes, Ali, or Foreman. Because both Holmes and Ali have struggled with fighters who didn't have good foot movement, aka Mike Weaver for Holmes, aka Doug Jones for Ali. I think Foreman may be a little too big for Louis but i wouldn't write off Louis. Because look at what Jimmy Young done to Foreman he totally out boxed him and nullified his offense, and Young wasn't that much bigger in weight that Louis was Young was 213, 6'2, when he fought Foreman, and Louis is 6'2 and could weigh 207 and even a little bit more and still be in good fighting shape so don't underestimate Louis.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lyle I have to disagree. Ali would be great in the modern era! His size is well suited to modern heavies, his skills are unquestionable and his chin was one of the best ever. A prime ALI would dominate every era for me, only running into problems with prime Holmes, Norton, Louis and Johnson imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

fact is if rocky had been around in the GOLDEN ERA he'd have natrually been a few inch's taller and 20-30 lbs heavyer, its like saying the 70's fighters taking on the golden era of the 90's heavys

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    Lyle I have to disagree. Ali would be great in the modern era! His size is well suited to modern heavies, his skills are unquestionable and his chin was one of the best ever. A prime ALI would dominate every era for me, only running into problems with prime Holmes, Norton, Louis and Johnson imo.
    Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis, Wladimir Klitschko, Vitali Klitschko.....all bigger, stronger, and more athletic fighters than Ali ever fought including Larry Holmes.

They were/are bigger punchers, they used their size to their advantage, they were/are more than one trick ponies, they had more than ONE punch.

At this point in time Ali would be equal to Chris Byrd in a Ray Austin body or Larry Donald with a little more speed and crisper punches.....and honestly he wouldn't be able to handle those big punchers....I'm sorry it's true though. At the time Ali was a freak of nature he was huge (6'4 225) and fast and could take a punch and had an odd style but the guys he fought had styles that played right into his hands....Foreman, Frazier....plodding power punchers who couldn't put punches together to save their lives....they were strong and had heart but they just couldn't fight Ali's style whereas todays fighters would crush that style.

I think a prime Holyfield would be tough for Ali to beat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle

I think a prime Holyfield would be tough for Ali to beat
    Hmm good argument, it would be tough but Ali would still beat him. His speed for a HW is just too much. Ali by UD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Why does this matter?

Is there a point to this thread?

Rocky Marciano fought some great fighters, they were older but he beat them and he went undefeated....what else would he have to do to impress you? Apparently come back from the dead and fight Ali, Foreman, and Frazier.

Joe Louis successfully defended his title 25 times, he fought 7 times in one year WHILE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD and won all those fights on stoppage.

If we're looking back in time then we must admit Muhammed Ali wouldn't last in today's division, neither would Frazier, and neither would Foreman.
    u got me all wrong--marciano is 1 of my favorites--the purpose of this this thread was stop dissing rocky. the same people never give rocky credit for being undefeated cuz of his opposition r the same people who praise joe louis. the quality opp for louis is the same. so people shouldt praise louis then slam marciano

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Marciano would of fought in the 1980's or 90's and even now in the 2000's he would of got his ass smashed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    If Marciano would of fought in the 1980's or 90's and even now in the 2000's he would of got his a** smashed.
    so would louis

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by undefeated
    If Marciano would of fought in the 1980's or 90's and even now in the 2000's he would of got his a** smashed.
    so would louis
    He would do a little better. But yeah he to would get smashed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he would be a cruiserweight by todays standards....so more like alot of cruisers today would be getting there ass handed to em by rocky.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cockey cockney
    he would be a cruiserweight by todays standards....so more like alot of cruisers today would be getting there a** handed to em by rocky.
    Cruisers not notorious for depth to begin with , nor Marciano for his multi dimensions.There would be some hurt dealt out mutually but In the end Marciano would get mucked up more than a few times.
    Im thinking Kenny Keene

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In modern boxing it is a distinct possability that Rocky would not have been as succesful.
    It is also a distinct possability that his work ethic and dedication could have made him great, but perhaps at Light Heavy, given modern training, conditioning and nutrition.

Horses for courses.
    In th era of the smaller heavyweight. Where stamina, power and resilience were the key rather than size, power and chin, Marciano was King.
    He would be so succesful now, but then again one couldn't rule out wins against Chagaev, Imbragimov or the second Tier, could they?

Thread Information