Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Oscar De La Hoya

When I heard the news about Oscar fighting Steve Forbes, I was shocked. I'm not an Oscar fan, but I do respect the guy for fighting the best. He took on JCC, Whitaker, Quartey, Trinidad, Vargas, Mosley, Hopkins. And you have to respect that fact even though JCC and Whitaker we're past it, he shouldn't have got that decision against Quartey, he ran in the biggest three rounds of his career against Trinidad, he did what Tito already showed him how to do against Vargas, he got outhustled against Mosley, and Hopkins knocked him out. Whatever. You still have to respect the guy for taking those challenges in the first place.

But this trash that GBP is peddling as a "thank you" to the fans is completely disrespectful to any boxing fan. Oscar is damaging his own legacy. GREAT fighters don't do this. I understand taking a tune up but he could have fought a fringe contender or journeyman at welterweight like Judah, Collazo, Richard Gutierrez, Baldomir, Alfonso Gomez, or even Spadafora who's record would look good. Don't bring up a very small guy like Forbes to come all the way up to 150 where he has basically no shot in hell at even winning a round. While Forbes has fought at light welter/welter since the Contender, the guy is a lightweight. Floyd is basically the same size as Forbes but Floyd has a skill set that no else in boxing has that can compensate for his small stature. Forbes is nowhere near that.

The sad thing about this is that Steve "Two Pound" Forbes has the heart of a lion, maybe too much heart, but in this case he just doesn't have the physical tools to have a realistic shot. And what's even sadder is that Oscar already knows all of this. I hope one of two things happens, Oscar gets stopped on a body shot or Forbes runs and makes the fight so horrible to watch even though Oscar wins, it will be like he lost because the fight was so horrible.

With that being said, Oscar De La Hoya, as a boxer, is dead in my eyes. And I can't wait until the day he takes his checkbook and briefcase out of boxing and just focus on being promoter (because I actually like him as a promoter). Right now, Oscar De La Hoya as a boxer, is quite honestly, a cancer to the sport.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Fuck Oscar De La Hoya

Quote Originally Posted by albsur2006
    When I heard the news about Oscar fighting Steve Forbes, I was shocked. I'm not an Oscar fan, but I do respect the guy for fighting the best. He took on JCC, Whitaker, Quartey, Trinidad, Vargas, Mosley, Hopkins. And you have to respect that fact even though JCC and Whitaker we're past it, he shouldn't have got that decision against Quartey, he ran in the biggest three rounds of his career against Trinidad, he did what Tito already showed him how to do against Vargas, he got outhustled against Mosley, and Hopkins knocked him out. Whatever. You still have to respect the guy for taking those challenges in the first place.

But this trash that GBP is peddling as a "thank you" to the fans is completely disrespectful to any boxing fan. Oscar is damaging his own legacy. GREAT fighters don't do this. I understand taking a tune up but he could have fought a fringe contender or journeyman at welterwei
    ght like Judah, Collazo, Richard Gutierrez, Baldomir, Alfonso Gomez, or even Spadafora who's record would look good. Don't bring up a very small guy like Forbes to come all the way up to 150 where he has basically no shot in hell at even winning a round. While Forbes has fought at light welter/welter since the Contender, the guy is a lightweight. Floyd is basically the same size as Forbes but Floyd has a skill set that no else in boxing has that can compensate for his small stature. Forbes is nowhere near that.

The sad thing about this is that Steve "Two Pound" Forbes has the heart of a lion, maybe too much heart, but in this case he just doesn't have the physical tools to have a realistic shot. And what's even sadder is that Oscar already knows all of this. I hope one of two things happens, Oscar gets stopped on a body shot or Forbes runs and makes the fight so horrible to watch even though Oscar wins, it will be like he lost because the fight was so horrible.

With that being said, Oscar De La Hoya, as a boxer, is dead in my eyes. And I can't wait until the day he takes his checkbook and briefcase out of boxing and just focus on being promoter (because I actually like him as a promoter). Right now, Oscar De La Hoya as a boxer, is quite honestly, a cancer to the sport.
    Don't take this offensively in anyway but you are the most Jekyll and Hyde poster on this forum. One minute,you'll post absolute crazy comments(like the RJJ v Oscar at 156 being a good fight_) and the next,you post genius like this!! CC on me man. The highlighted points are awesome.

Oscar has done alot of good for the sport,but now he is a disease to boxing. Everything revolves around him. When Oscar wants to fight,EVERY boxer waits for a call,because they want the $$$ and exposure that comes with the fighting him. So what does he do? Calls out small 140 pounders like Paulie and Dimitri and Forbes to jump almost 2 weight classes to fight him. Why not fight a hungrier,WW at least like the guys you mentioned?

He better make sure the undercard is stacked for the Floyd rematch too,punk. He CLEARLY lost the first fight and should have called it a day then. I don't blame Floyd for taking the fight,because it's easy $$$ but had Oscar not chosen him,I'm sure we would see Floyd v Cotto at the end of 08. We're not going to see that now.

OSCAR IS A PUNK,TAKING BOXING FANS AS FOOLS.It' doesn't matter how many good fights he's given us,he's made him $$$$$ yet he continues to make as much more as possible,making other fighters and us look like asses. He can stick this gift up his ass.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: F*** Oscar De La Hoya

GREAT fighters don't do this.
    I agree, great fighters don't give free fights just because.

I understand taking a tune up but he could have fought a fringe contender or journeyman at welterweight like Judah, Collazo, Richard Gutierrez, Baldomir, Alfonso Gomez, or even Spadafora
    ...Cotto or Margarito .

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Oscar De La Hoya

I've amended thread title, I know it had "***" but it looks bad and makes us look like some of the other muggy little sites if we have that up on the front forum page.

Cheers

God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    Quote Originally Posted by albsur2006

But this trash that GBP is peddling as a "thank you" to the fans is completely disrespectful to any boxing fan. Oscar is damaging his own legacy. GREAT fighters don't do this. I understand taking a tune up but he could have fought a fringe contender or journeyman at welterwei
    ght like Judah, Collazo, Richard Gutierrez, Baldomir, Alfonso Gomez, or even Spadafora who's record would look good. Don't bring up a very small guy like Forbes to come all the way up to 150 where he has basically no shot in hell at even winning a round. While Forbes has fought at light welter/welter since the Contender, the guy is a lightweight. Floyd is basically the same size as Forbes but Floyd has a skill set that no else in boxing has that can compensate for his small stature. Forbes is nowhere near that.

Don't take this offensively in anyway but you are the most Jekyll and Hyde poster on this forum. One minute,you'll post absolute crazy comments(like the RJJ v Oscar at 156 being a good fight_) and the next,you post genius like this!! CC on me man. The highlighted points are awesome.

Oscar has done alot of good for the sport,but now he is a disease to boxing. Everything revolves around him. When Oscar wants to fight,EVERY boxer waits for a call,because they want the $$$ and exposure that comes with the fighting him. So what does he do? Calls out small 140 pounders like Paulie and Dimitri and Forbes to jump almost 2 weight classes to fight him. Why not fight a hungrier,WW at least like the guys you mentioned?

He better make sure the undercard is stacked for the Floyd rematch too,punk. He CLEARLY lost the first fight and should have called it a day then. I don't blame Floyd for taking the fight,because it's easy $$$ but had Oscar not chosen him,I'm sure we would see Floyd v Cotto at the end of 08. We're not going to see that now.

OSCAR IS A PUNK,TAKING BOXING FANS AS FOOLS.It' doesn't matter how many good fights he's given us,he's made him $$$$$ yet he continues to make as much more as possible,making other fighters and us look like asses. He can stick this gift up his a**.
    LMAO

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The part which disgusts me most is that after Forbes was robbed against D-Hop, Forbes went to Oscar about quitting the sport. Oscar reassured him and persuaded him to stay in.

Then Oscar uses him as a comb to groom his own ego.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny
    The part which disgusts me most is that after Forbes was robbed against D-Hop, Forbes went to Oscar about quitting the sport. Oscar reassured him and persuaded him to stay in.

Your shitn me... is that true?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan

That is an awful story.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    One minute,you'll post absolute crazy comments(like the RJJ v Oscar at 156 being a good fight_) and the next,you post genius like this!!
    CC back. Hahahaha, yeah I'm a bit all over the place.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah it's true.
    I actually heard the story a couple of days before the announcement of this fight.
    We weree discussing the sports worst recent robberies and I mentioned Forbes Hopkins. I remeber Ice disagreed and said he scored the fight for Hopkins. LeftyLee agreed with me and then another poster chimed in telling us that Forbes was going to retire afterward, but Oscar talked him out of it. I read this in another random magazine a short time ago also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chino
    GREAT fighters don't do this.
    I agree, great fighters don't give free fights just because.

I understand taking a tune up but he could have fought a fringe contender or journeyman at welterweight like Judah, Collazo, Richard Gutierrez, Baldomir, Alfonso Gomez, or even Spadafora
    ...Cotto or Margarito .

Oscar is not looking to put either of them on his dance card....I am sure Margarito was available...
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah it's true.
    I actually heard the story a couple of days before the announcement of this fight.
    We weree discussing the sports worst recent robberies and I mentioned Forbes Hopkins. I remeber Ice disagreed and said he scored the fight for Hopkins. LeftyLee agreed with me and then another poster chimed in telling us that Forbes was going to retire afterward, but Oscar talked him out of it. I read this in another random magazine a short time ago also.
    Yeh that was me too as when I was looking through boxrec one time I noticed the article and that was true, Oscar talked Steve out of retiring.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee

Yeah it's true.
    Yeh that was me too as when I was looking through boxrec one time I noticed the article and that was true, Oscar talked Steve out of retiring.
    I read it in a small obscure boxing mag too Lefty, so it's pretty condemning huh?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh...and also I feel this fight may just be a ploy to see can Oscar make the weight.

Even If he is weight drained he should be able to beat Forbees so it's a safe test to see can he make it and still have energy. Don't be surprised to see Oscar carry him so as to see can he go a good few rounds with comfort at 150 (not a million miles from 147.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The sooner DLH retires and becomes a full time promoter the better

Thread Information