Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Jose Luis Ramirez

I have just watched Ramirez V Rosario 2 and what a fight!
    This guy fought some great fighters, Olivares, Arguello, Mancini, Rosario, Camacho, Chavez and Whitaker.
    I get the feeling that he is not recognized as he should be due to 'The Robbery' SD against Whitaker.
    No doubt it was a poor decision but Jose Luis Ramirez deserves a new appraisal of a long and illustrious
    career. ?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Jose Luis Ramirez

I think Rameriez's highlight controversy with Whitaker are his scarlet letter.He fought BUU-KOO cab drivers though.What you saw was what you got,somewhat standard but a solid fighter.Almost had Rosario with late pressure in first go-round but ran out of rounds
    The fact he climbed off canvas after being savaged in rematch and Forced Rosario to Pretty much no-mas was statement.Classic war as Rosario was often Involved in.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Solid fighter, def. world class but IMO he falls short of greatness.
    Moved well and used his skills throughout.

When he lost to Ruben it clearly showed that up until then he hadn't fought good opposition. Right after the loss he went back to low quality of opposition. I had him loosing the Alexis fight by 3 rounds so don't let the decision fool you for those who haven't seen it....
    You gotta love the 2nd Rosario fight what a fight and how he turned it around was amazing....

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In my mind (I never saw him fight) he was a southpaw JCC? But not as great.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought he was a tremendously exciting fighter who fought whoever was put in front of him. Can't ask for more than that!

ICB Guest

Ramirez and Chavez were good friends i heard they were former sparring partners and also neighbours, wasn't Ramirez also God-father to one of Chavez's sons as well ?? anyway as for Ramirez exciting tough fighter he did fight a lot of cab drivers early in his career. The first good opponent he fought was Ruben Olivares who was at the end of his career, but still Olivares still easily stopped him in quick fashion. He then went back to fighting cab drivers for a few years until he met Alexis Arguello, now i remember VD telling me about how Ramirez was robbed in this fight so i went and see it for myself. And i had Arguello winning a close but clear cut decision. He then fought Ray Mancini and was clearly beaten, the thing about Ramirez is that it took him long time to finally beat an opponent who was at the top level. When he beat Rosario in there 2nd fight, a Hagler vs Hearns type of war that was his first real victory over top level opposition. After that he was clearly out pointed by Hector Camacho, he then went on to have decent wins over Cornelius Boza Edwards, Terrence Alli. Then he met Pernell Whitaker now sorry folks but i refuse to call this a *victory* for Ramirez. Whitaker easily won first 5 rounds Ramirez slightly comeback in middle rounds but Whitaker still gave him boxing lesson winning 9 rounds to 3 on my scorecard. Then he fought Julio Cesar Chavez now this was a bit controversial, im not saying Chavez didn't deserve to win but i think the doctor made ridiculous decision. When he stopped the fight because cuts on Ramirez forehead wern't effecting his vision. He then faced Whitaer in a rematch and was beaten in a one sided fashion even worse than the 1st fight, and that was basically the end of his career. I wouldn't call him great because most of his wins come against cab drivers and he only had a few wins against top opposition. But still an exciting fighter with a granite chin who always came to fight with courage.

Mentioned
    1669 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC for that assessment.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Master
    CC for that assessment.
    Thanks CC back.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ramirez was very good fighter. But like Mick said he falls short of greatness. The so-call victory over Whitaker should not even be mentioned. Cuz it was no victory for him. Still Ramirez does hold some good over good fighters. And I had him beating Arguello in there fight. He had a good career

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    Ramirez and Chavez were good friends i heard they were former sparring partners and also neighbours, wasn't Ramirez also God-father to one of Chavez's sons as well ?? anyway as for Ramirez exciting tough fighter he did fight a lot of cab drivers early in his career. The first good opponent he fought was Ruben Olivares who was at the end of his career, but still Olivares still easily stopped him in quick fashion. He then went back to fighting cab drivers for a few years until he met Alexis Arguello, now i remember VD telling me about how Ramirez was robbed in this fight so i went and see it for myself. And i had Arguello winning a close but clear cut decision. He then fought Ray Mancini and was clearly beaten, the thing about Ramirez is that it took him long time to finally beat an opponent who was at the top level. When he beat Rosario in there 2nd fight, a Hagler vs Hearns type of war that was his first real victory over top level opposition. After that he was clearly out pointed by Hector Camacho, he then went on to have decent wins over Cornelius Boza Edwards, Terrence Alli. Then he met Pernell Whitaker now sorry folks but i refuse to call this a *victory* for Ramirez. Whitaker easily won first 5 rounds Ramirez slightly comeback in middle rounds but Whitaker still gave him boxing lesson winning 9 rounds to 3 on my scorecard. Then he fought Julio Cesar Chavez now this was a bit controversial, im not saying Chavez didn't deserve to win but i think the doctor made ridiculous decision. When he stopped the fight because cuts on Ramirez forehead wern't effecting his vision. He then faced Whitaer in a rematch and was beaten in a one sided fashion even worse than the 1st fight, and that was basically the end of his career. I wouldn't call him great because most of his wins come against cab drivers and he only had a few wins against top opposition. But still an exciting fighter with a granite chin who always came to fight with courage.
    CC ICE, i think of Ramirez in Football terms as a fighter who was in the Top 3 of the 2nd Division awaiting promotion to the big league. Occasionally he would win a cup tie but mostly just fall short of beating the elite consistently. His win against Rosario was one fine effort and credit to him for that.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Cold Boxing
    CC ICE, i think of Ramirez in Football terms as a fighter who was in the Top 3 of the 2nd Division awaiting promotion to the big league. Occasionally he would win a cup tie but mostly just fall short of beating the elite consistently. His win against Rosario was one fine effort and credit to him for that.
    Yep spot on mate CC back.

Thread Information