Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saddoboxing Fight Study Group

I can sort of see Chris's logic with having it in the Ask the Trainer board. I guess it depends on what you really want to assess/ discuss from the vids.

If you want to talk strictly technique only and how we might use it to learn to adapt to or counter what other fighters do then I think this is the board.

If you want to discuss who has a good chin, who should be training harder than they are, what that fighter's future is etc then the other boards are fine.

I guess as a selfish Ask the Trainer fan I'd worry that we wouldn't get the most we can out of it as a tool for our own boxing improvement if it was in another board since people might be more tempted to go off topic a bit.
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nope totally saw the logic
    Is it just me,or does Griffith and Benvenuti look sloppy as hell in their title match
    Benvinuti can never get off on time,and Emile is holding and lunging like crazy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah true TM, Both looked nervous before hand, like they were aware that they could both be hurt by the other.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla
    I can sort of see Chris's logic with having it in the Ask the Trainer board. I guess it depends on what you really want to assess/ discuss from the vids.

If you want to talk strictly technique only and how we might use it to learn to adapt to or counter what other fighters do then I think this is the board.

If you want to discuss who has a good chin, who should be training harder than they are, what that fighter's future is etc then the other boards are fine.

I guess as a selfish Ask the Trainer fan I'd worry that we wouldn't get the most we can out of it as a tool for our own boxing improvement if it was in another board since people might be more tempted to go off topic a bit.
    It's not misplaced, or selfishness at all, it's pure intention that this is where it's going to be at. There's nothing wrong with being a fight fan and talking boxing, but the idea with having a "fight study group" is to give fighters and students of boxing a place to talk shop and in a sense be a boxer's workshop.

As I see it, this should be a tremendous benefit for boxers. Instead of just watching a fight through the fight fan's lense of what fighter is doing what, start breaking down what each fighter is doing, what are they trying to do, what similarities/patterns can be observed that is relevant to other fights. Then you can go a step further and look into the particulars of each fighter, what they are trying to accomplish with the jab? How are they dealing with their opponent's punches? What are their tendencies and preferences, strengths and weaknesses?

Once you're capable of observing each fight in it's entirity then you can start to enjoy a new change of perspective. You can begin to ask yourself, "What would I have done differently if I had been in their position?", and when you have a good understanding of the fighter you'll ask yourself, "How would I fight them?"

The point that I want to make here is that it's much more than simply watching fights closely, it's about familiarizing yourself with the different recurring patterns that exists in all fights so that when the time comes you'll be ready for it. It's really good mental and observational exercise, as well as an ongoing process.

This is going off of Thomas's ideas on how to watch a fight, as well as what Andre and Joe have alluded to before. Even the concept of introducing a fighter, fight or an aspect of such is not new. Thomas Tabin has made some good posts on this vein, but generally the feedback is shallow and even many of the regular posters on this board ignore it.

Anyways as I said before it's an ongoing process, and I'll admit I'm practically on square one myself. Having a group to discuss with will make things easier rather than a baptism of fire of being overwhelmed of what's going on in a fight and not knowing what to look for. As you read comments by other members in the group, you'll start learning what kind of things to look for in a fight, and more importantly being able to recognize the patterns.

I think that it would be best not to restrict this to one thread, but to give more freedom to the members by letting them make their own threads. This way we can get more perspectives while covering more ground.

This is still in the idea stage. I think that before this can really materialize, there needs to be a post covering 'How to Watch a Fight.' This will help level the playing field for those who are still in the dark, which should also help by getting straight to the point for any discussions to come.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Uh I've been looking around and I've found two places where people post up fights.

http://ringsidereport.com/rsrboard/v...6e949f5215e4c0 This place is good lots of fights but I believe you must register.

AUTO MESSAGE: SORRY THIS SITE NAME AND ANY CONTENT FROM IT IS BANNED FROM THIS FORUM PLEASE DELETE[/b].com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148]http://www.AUTO MESSAGE: SORRY THIS SITE NAME AND ANY CONTENT FROM IT IS BANNED FROM THIS FORUM PLEASE DELETE.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148 This one you don't you need to register for

There is another site like the WBVA but I don't have any invites anymore.

Chris good post. Fights are hard to understand thats surely true. I notice its easier for me to understand a fight when it involves a fighter who fights similarly to me. Like Joey Giardello fights I have an easier time understanding because his movements are more or less the same as my own. It makes it easier for me to put myself in his shoes that way. It almost feels as though I were watching a tape of me and reviewing my own movements and mistakes. Fights that include a fighter who has a similar style as you do also allows you to put yourself in your opponent's shoes and see what its like trying to get past your own defense. In this way you get to experience a greater appreciation of yourself and your style because you're looking with honesty for weaknesses and mistakes from the perspective of an opponent. You're trying hard to figure a out a way to knock yourself out. Its rare that you get to exercise your brain in that way and its also the only way for you to do this apart from shadowboxing yourself from the perspective of an opponent.

So pick a fighter that fights like you or one who you would like to fight like. Get as many fights of him as you can and study all of them. Very soon you will begin to notice the same patterns and scenarios repeating over and over. I've been watching a lot of Tommy Hearns lately (both as him and as his opponent) and I have a very good idea of his strengths and weaknesses that way. It was said that as a young fighter the great Joe Gans followed around Bob Fitzsimmons from city to city to watch his fights and see him train. He soaked up everything he could. Imagine if young Joe Gans had thousands of fights at his disposal to watch whenever he wanted. he would read them like books and learn so many things. Joe would have leaped at the opportunity. I think young fighters should try and be like Joe.

edit: Okay the second site is banned from here so PM and I can give you the link

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTabin
    Uh I've been looking around and I've found two places where people post up fights.

Chris good post. Fights are hard to understand thats surely true. I notice its easier for me to understand a fight when it involves a fighter who fights similarly to me.
    man tabin, in another fighting forum a couple months ago, i made this whole long thread about "How to watch a fight", I pretty much said what you said. Like how in the beginning, Boxing to me was nothing more than limbs flying and flash knockouts happening. But as i began to grow and get learned in the sport, All of a sudden, my eyes were a little better on spotting the subtle slips and angle shifts, things of that sort. And i went on about how commentators had eagle eyes, and that i wanted to have that ability to process and analyze a fight and a fighter just by a glance. Somewhat like Scraps magical ability to gauge posture just by looking. I dont know, it was a pretty in depth lengthy post. Ill try and find it and repost it here. Anyways, my whole point is again, It would be nothing but beneficial to anyone who participated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chis, like the idea a lot! With regard to the site you posted, I think Ive figured out why it wont let you register.... I checked the other site out last night (tc-boxing) and it wouldnt allow free email addresses (hotmail, gmail, etc.) for new users to sign up. Tried my school/work email address and no problem. Went to the first link you posted (fights.worldboxingvideoarchive) and tried the same thing. Worked as well and now Im signed up. Then, I went in to the profile settings and just changed from the school email to a gmail address.

Now, to get some more research materials...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good work hydroman.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cool idea Chris.
    Out there they are more into the history of who did and who didnt,what ifs ,etc
    I dont think they are into the nuances as you put it ,or they would be in here already putting up posts that are thoughtful in regards to in ring experiences.
    Real techniques arn't talked about as much out there as in here,but wortha try I suppose.
    Maybe start it in here first and then move the post out there so the pattern is already set?
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Thread Information