Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Should Boxing be taught in schools?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Should Boxing be taught in schools?

Youth worker wants boxing in schools.

A leading youth welfare worker is calling for boxing to be included in Australian school
    education programs in a bid to combat violence and poor health.
    Les Twentyman, a former teacher and social worker, said including boxing in school curriculams would go
    along way to tackling problems like street violence, bullying in schools and obesity.

"Apart from the basic point of being able to look after yourself, there's also the issue of boosting your self-confidence, it honours the rules of engagement and also creates a sense of dignity"

"You read the newspapers and watch TV and see attacks with six or seven people attacking one person, and then you have kids carrying weapons-it's just wrong. There's no sense of fair play".

"Gangs of youths attacking individuals showed that many youngsters lacked respect and were incapable of sorting out problems sensibly and responsibly"

"Teaching boxing in schools would bring back some sense of decency and dignity because kids today cannot sort things out sensibly"

Les Twentyman is a well respected social worker down here.

Apart from the physical and health benefits (look at how many fat kids are walking around and boxing training is hard) I think he might have something here?

I would be interested to know what you think of this idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Should Boxing be taught in schools?

Absolutely, but the schools dont want the liability. No different from allowing any other sport. Amateur boxing actually has a lower injury rate than football.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is funny. When I was in Primary - Grade 9 in my hometown of Halifax, Nova Scotia, we had a Boxing Gym in our Basement called the Citadel Boxing Club. It turned out many successful Amateurs.

Raymond Downey - Olympic Bronze Medalist 154lbs, 1988 ( he lost a disputed decision to the same Korean Roy Jones lost to)
    Billy Downey - Commonwealth Games Silver Medalist 126 lbs

are two who I went to School with.

I was a member of the club myself. It no longer operates as a school, but the boxing club is still there.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No doubt.It was at one time pretty common in some colleges.We had one or two youth boxing leagues in Va.Beach when I lived there until they lost funding.
    I think compared to the intense levels of all to real and actual violence kids are exposed to these days,The P.C crowds and kneejerk re actives can no longer use the tired line of it introducing young ones to violence.They need it,Not for self defense but a road to mental development and discipline that is sorely lacking . If youth does not have some sort of structure coming up they can fall into all kinds of destructive "outlets".These fella's and kids down here in New Orleans would just assume take out a Pistol and waste some one without blinking,That S*** has to change.It's a dead end generation going no where fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli Surfs 'Nawlins
    No doubt.It was at one time pretty common in some colleges.We had one or two youth boxing leagues in Va.Beach when I lived there until they lost funding.
    I think compared to the intense levels of all to real and actual violence kids are exposed to these days,The P.C crowds and kneejerk re actives can no longer use the tired line of it introducing young ones to violence.They need it,Not for self defense but a road to mental development and discipline that is sorely lacking . If youth does not have some sort of structure coming up they can fall into all kinds of destructive "outlets".These falla's down here would just assume take out a Pistol and waste some one without blinking,That shit has to change.It's a dead end generation going no where fast.
    hahaha. When I went to high school, we had a gun club in our basement that the School's Proctor used to run. We used to bring our 22's to school after classes for evening fun of shooting at sandbags. Man times sure have changed haven't they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli Surfs 'Nawlins
    I think compared to the intense levels of all to real and actual violence kids are exposed to these days,The P.C crowds and kneejerk re actives can no longer use the tired line of it introducing young ones to violence.They need it,Not for self defense but a road to mental development and discipline that is sorely lacking . If youth does not have some sort of structure coming up they can fall into all kinds of destructive "outlets".These falla's down here would just assume take out a Pistol and waste some one without blinking,That S*** has to change.It's a dead end generation going no where fast.
    hahaha. When I went to high school, we had a gun club in our basement that the School's Proctor used to run. We used to bring our 22's to school after classes for evening fun of shooting at sandbags. Man times sure have changed haven't they?
    We had a rifle team when I was in high school. We'd shoot at an indoor range at the national guard armory. Used .22's and shot for medals and against other schools. Want to know the best part? We were all made jr. NRA members. All this in the People's Republic of PC, Massachusetts.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theres a pilot in place for schools in the UK, forget where though. Non contact training with a boxing coach, anyone that wants to go on and do it 'proper' can do so outside of school.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Thread Information