Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default inspiration?

thought id start a thread where we can share, inspirational quotes, stories, sayings, and anything else generally inspirational!! although personal at the moment i have none as i have just got back from not doin to well in sparring some bigger guys and am a bit down in the dumps. lol, ill be back tmorrow tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: inspiration?

Quote Originally Posted by gally View Post
    thought id start a thread where we can share, inspirational quotes, stories, sayings, and anything else generally inspirational!! although personal at the moment i have none as i have just got back from not doin to well in sparring some bigger guys and am a bit down in the dumps. lol, ill be back tmorrow tho.
    larry holmes against the odds
    teddy atlas bio
    give him the the angels
    and ken norton going the distance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

cheers sexyboxer nice 1 ill try pick them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yer a bum-Me working the gym or Mickey from the Rocky flicks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lightbulb in-spray-shun

Burgess Meredith in his gravelly voice playing Mickey is the only thing that stands out in the Rocky movies. Hence my favorite quote, "...if you ever get hurt, and you feel that your goin' down, this little angel is gonna whisper in your ear he's gonna say, GET UP YOU SON OF A BITCH because mickey loves you." Poetry for the heart and soul...

Yeah, a few words wisdom can go a looong way. Once in a while on a long plane ride you might find yourself flipping through one of their in-flight magazines because honestly you're that bored. All of a sudden you'll stumble over some infinate source of wisdom that would go nice with what ever your current philosophy is. That moment for me was while reading an interview of Apolo Ono who was the speed skating gold medalist at the last Olympics. He paraphrased what a greek philosopher named Nikos Kazantzakis (sp?) said, "We shouldn't be concerned with either winning or losing, what should be more important is to carry on the struggle"

For a while "carry on the struggle" became a broken-record of a mantra when ever I found myself in the gut-wrenching phase of my training. It helped kept me continue to fire on all cylindars when otherwise I'd have nothing left and more than happy to call it a day. Now even though I don't repeat those words to myself, it's affect is still with me. Unconciously when I feel hurt and on my last legs I push myself harder, with those words now in the back-burners of my mind.

When it comes to motivation period, it comes from a lot of sources. Getting a compliment that you're tearing it up, or that I have a great body. Knowing that everyday you're covering ground and getting closer to your goals. Having some lovable jerk egg you on while you're training, and you getting a personal kick about showing them what you're made of. The big thing is to capitalize on as many golden opportunities as you can. The dude that's always happy with what he's doing needs no pick me up.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i always find music an inspiration but i've always liked the saying 'you reap what you sow'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fit old people

Sounds strange but I wanna be a fit old person when I get old. I admire people who live their lives to the full and don't ever decide to just give up and grow old gracefully.

In boxing specifically i think i'm inspired by the fact I find it so difficult. I like the technical side of it, the personal side of it and of course the physical side of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Sharla View Post
    Fit old people

Sounds strange but I wanna be a fit old person when I get old. I admire people who live their lives to the full and don't ever decide to just give up and grow old gracefully.
    u sound like rocky balboa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Karas View Post
    u sound like rocky balboa
    I don't know about Rocky

My mum and her firends actually make me think this way. She's 56 and going to cycle around Euorpe with her partner in March for about a month. I know 80 year old men who still run marathons.

A lot of older people seem to get into sport to look after their health and suddenly find a whole new social life and things that really excite them regardless of whether they'll ever be amazingly fast. Some of them are pretty fast anyway!

They're all still healthy enough to be independant and really enjoy life and some of the older ones will tell you straight out that they keep fit because all their friends aer either in nursing homes or dead and it's their sport that keeps them going!

Obviously one day i'm going to have to say i'm too old to compete as a boxer anymore but I never want to stop sport completely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This world is not sunshine and rainbows... it's a mean and nasty place... and I don't care how tough you are... it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.

You, me... or nobody is going to hit you as hard as life... but it's not about how hard you can hit... it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward... how much you can take and keep moving forward...

That's how living is done!

If you believe in something... then go out and get what you believe in... but you have to be willing to take the hits, and not point fingers... saying you are not where you want to be because of him, her, or anybody else...

Cowards do that... and I do not believe that any of you are cowards... you are all better then that...

Paraphrased from the new Rocky movie...

That motivates me a lot...

Blackvenom-2001

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've always been inspired by watching films of great fights.

I remeber watching Sugar Ray Leonard against Wilfredo Benitez...
    That night I trained til I bled and did the same again and again.
    The same with Ali Frazier, Gatti-Ward, Hatton Tszyu....any fight where I see a great fighter(s) in action...I just take a glance and know I'd trade every drop of blood I have to be him, with a professional trainer, getting paiod to sweat and fight.

I think the fights just unleash a desire in me, andan awareness too. if I don't fully make it I can never say it was from lack of effort. Does that make sense?

Also last week when I boxed in the quarter final, I sat back and boxed. I did what I had to do and won a nice UD.

In the semi final I fought a shorter stronger guy...His corner screamed "knock him out Sean" Strange advice in the first round I know!!

But it triggered something in me and I said to myself in a kind of Rocky Graziano like moment "You goin to take this from him, you gonna let him take your dreams away" I retaliated with force and serious vigour!

I know it sounds stupid, but thats how it was...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hate to say this,but I love this quote
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Better Better Best, never let it rest until youre Betters Better and your Best is Best. My Mum told me thatwhen I was 6 Never Forgot it, but never practiced it
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lance armstrong has a fav quote of mine...

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. That surrender, even the smallest act of giving up, stays with me. So when I feel like quitting, I ask myself, which would I rather live with?"

Anyone read his book? It's pretty inspiring.

Champion by gringspoon is always in my running playlist, gives me a boost when i need it most.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Lance armstrong has a fav quote of mine...

"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. That surrender, even the smallest act of giving up, stays with me. So when I feel like quitting, I ask myself, which would I rather live with?"

Anyone read his book? It's pretty inspiring.

Champion by gringspoon is always in my running playlist, gives me a boost when i need it most.
    Loving that quote

Thread Information