Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Reaction Time drills

Hi guys just wondering if any1 knows any good reaction time drills for defensive evasion in boxing?
    Both basic and complex drills are gr8!
    Preferably the drills should specifically involve boxing skills, however if the drills dont spefically involve boxing skills thats fine also.
    Thanks alot guys, much appreciated!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Reaction Time drills

Heaps of good ideas in this article, personal favourite is the woods running. Helps you react to things flying at your face extremely well.

http://bodybuilding.com/fun/bioplyo2.htm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lightbulb Re: Reaction Time drills

Quote Originally Posted by LukeJ View Post
    Hi guys just wondering if any1 knows any good reaction time drills for defensive evasion in boxing?
    Both basic and complex drills are gr8!
    Preferably the drills should specifically involve boxing skills, however if the drills dont spefically involve boxing skills thats fine also.
    Thanks alot guys, much appreciated!!!!!!
    I like this idea, it's what good mitt-work and controlled sparring should help reinforce. For instance look at Floyd Mayweather working off of his uncle on the pads. He has practiced many several defensive moves to the point where it's engrained into his muscle memory.

You can cover any of the defensive moves (i.e. block, slip, duck, bob, weave, shoulder-roll, parry/catch, and clinching) and then you can proceed into counter punching that was set up by a defensive move that has made your opponent vulnerable. If you need to learn these moves, or review them you can download Edwin L. Haislets boxing manual which can be found in the Important/Useful posts subsection of the Ask the Trainer board. It's a terrific book as a starting point and for good reference.

It would also be a good idea to spend some time analysing how your stance ties into this. Use your stance to set up your offense. For instance a couple that comes to mind is the narrow stance that was employed by many great defensive fighters in the past as well as guys like the Mayweathers, and Hopkins. This narrows your opponent's options, which means you won't even have to draw much out of your defensive bag of tricks to get the better of them.

The other that I can think of is using a crouch designed to affect the choices of punches that your opponent can throw. All in all if you have a better idea of what your opponent is going to throw, you'll be ready for it.

I almost forgot to mention footwork. Circling will also allow you to control your opponent and in combination to your stance and the punches that you use (what you are offering them) make your opponent much more predictable.

I know I'm jumping ahead, therefore that should come later.

I think at first you should work out the proper defensive moves as a "reaction" to your opponent's particular punch. Practice it over and over until to the point that it feels like there's no other way but right . Your training on the bags as well as shadow boxing should further reinforce those techniques. Remember when hitting the bags, etc. to keep your opponent in mind, work on improving specific things, and even when you're not breaking a sweat it doesn't hurt to do a quick rehearsal of the moves in your mind.

In a Nutshell:
    Step 1. - Develope good reactions. Do the right moves for the right reason and at the right time.
    Step 2. - Become smarter. Learn how to influence and control your opponent.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 02-19-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: added something that I missed
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One thing I do,is when we're working the mitts,if someones getting sloppy,I tap them one,just to keep their head in

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Heaps of good ideas in this article, personal favourite is the woods running. Helps you react to things flying at your face extremely well.
    That's a good idea. It can help with a person who has a tendency towards flinching when something is coming toward there face. Here's something along a similar vein. Even if you're not in the woods, you can also stand infront of a tree with dangling leaves and then go about sharpening your punches, and practicing a couple of defensives moves. It's not about reacting but it's good opportunity to practice your technique in a fresh and fun way.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 02-19-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: just thought of something...
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post

Bodybuilding.com - Bionic Plyometrics - Cat Like Reflex Training Methods!
    I thought I was the only one who knew about that!

Sometimes when I am taking my dog for a run (am I am sure no one is around to see me ) I will take off and run in the woods, jumping over logs, ducking and weaving between trees.

Got to be 100% aware of what is directly in front of you and what is coming on on the ground below you, great to keep the reactions sharp. Taken a couple spills doing it, but the adrenaline is so high (my dog is usually chasing me biting at my legs) I jut get back up and keep going.

I like it, it makes me feel like a wild man. Always feel great afterwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez The Killer View Post
    I thought I was the only one who knew about that!

Sometimes when I am taking my dog for a run (am I am sure no one is around to see me ) I will take off and run in the woods, jumping over logs, ducking and weaving between trees.

Got to be 100% aware of what is directly in front of you and what is coming on on the ground below you, great to keep the reactions sharp. Taken a couple spills doing it, but the adrenaline is so high (my dog is usually chasing me biting at my legs) I jut get back up and keep going.

I like it, it makes me feel like a wild man. Always feel great afterwards.
    We just thought that one was a given,sorry we moved to WV for the countryside

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a thing thats interested me for years, in fact its become an obsession. So much so that Ive devised a syetem where by using one peice of equipment you can bond all the fast neurons and fibres at once. Its taken a few years to come up with but now its done and should be on the market sometime this year. All the ginipigs that weve used for testing say the same thing, this is the system. So Ive decided to call the system T.I.T.S.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information