Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Question about footwork

I've been working a lot more on my timing and combos this past month, and there is one particular combo that Im having trouble where I lose my balance just enough that on my last punch Im really not getting it off solid and crisp like I want to. I'll admit, as far as a boxer, Im still learning to get the street fighter out of me (I know what you think about that street fighting Andre, but that's where I got my rep from when I was a teen and young 20's.. Im over that $hit now... as much as I can). So I use my strength and quickness to my advantage, and try to end fights quickly.. but yea. I love the combo left jab, right straight, left hook to the body, left hook to the head, right hook to the head. Its just that last right hook though thats really causing me problems. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Question about footwork

drop your left shoulder before you throw the right hook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks, Ill work on that tomorrow

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your rear heel can turn in to face your front foot for a total body weight shift into the hook finish ,it gets you 3 inches further in with full weight behind it.
    Or if he has started to move out ,step forward with the rear (right) foot underneath the right hook, (thats if he has started to lean or head out of reach or been punched out of distance by your first three shots.

But dont just stop ,keep moving from there and either switch back as you head further around to his side, just make sure your feet take you, to where you want to be after your combo.
    and watch your ribs.

Are you a vertical fist hooker elbow down.
    OR a elbow out more horizontal fist?

Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I suspect you are overcommitting on your hooks and its bringing your weight forward so you haven't returned to neutral before throwing your next shot.

Think about it you are pivoting quickly to your right then reversing it - Looking at the physics of it it isn't the easiest thing to do without some disruption to your balance or form.

BUT this is how I would break it down and build it up with these drills.

First of all build it up backwards.

Left head hook then right HH over and over. You may find your form goes and it becomes more of a swing. Try and keep your form good- shot crisp hooks then sometimes just let them fly and it'll feel like swinging.
    then LH Body -LHH -RHH and so on.

Next drill
    Vary the speed and power.
    sometimes all quick like a flurry but take the power out.
    Fast but hard on the last shot.
    Fast but hard on the left hooks but fast on the right

Next drill
    Throw all as power shots
    All power shots but Right Hook fast and light
    ETC ETC

LOTS and LOTS of options work through them, you'll learn to control the speed and power of your punches which will aid in not taking you off balance except when you really commit to taking someones head off

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

re; losing balance during a combination... To start make sure your feet are uder your shoulders, left on the floor at an angle to your rival, right pointed straight forward, heel up. When you jab do not shift your weight at all- push off with your right foot and bring it forward with you so that when the jab lands you are in the same stance as when you started. make sure to thrust your jab-arm into full extension; otherwise your rang will be fouled up. Shift weight to left foot throw a right hand and punch through, keeping chin nailed to your collar bone; punching through means all weight over left leg shoulders turned so that any opponent would see only the back of your riht shoulder. You are thus perfectly in position to hook the body, so slide your right foot @1" directly right and shift your weight back - this is aquick snapping shift to whip your left fist, thumb up to the body Very vital that you don't straighten then hook, ever. Now put all weight on straight right leg, toe at a90 to target pivot hard on left toe, throw the top hook and you should end up weight on right foot right govle alongside your jaw, left glove touching right shoulder. Slide left foot several inches to the left and slightly forward, moving your weight over to that foot will give you the position and leverage for the right hook. To hit the body slide your foo further left than if targeting the head Start slow and experiment with your footing, then let your weight fuel your punches

Thread Information