Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default dips

how do i tell if im doing dips proberly? coz i dont think i am ecause im not very good at it lol
    because i dont go down that far

will i improve if i do that or will i need to puush my self to the max?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: dips

You just gotta remember, dips are not fucking easy. Take the average guy off the street and ask him to do some dips, he won't be able to do one.

El Kabong Guest

Go down as far as you can and push back up...I never could do that many until I pushed myself to work on them. You might want to build up your triceps and chest with some other exercises as well....Tricep push downs and Tricep press help out a lot, as well as bench press ( especially narrow grip ) works the triceps as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, dips are not easy at all. It's not like situps or push ups where you can do 20 straight off the bat. Most people WILL struggle to push out one on their first few times.. What you CAN if it is frustrating you not being able to do one full dip is to go half way.. Dips are an absolutely indispensable exercise when building strength and size in your arms so don't give up on it.. One trick is if your trying to do one dip, don't think of doing one, completely skip thinking about the first dip and think of pushing out 2. concentrate on getting that second dip and you'll find the first 1 comes easier (even if you can't get 2 our) ... Then when you are up to 2, just think about getting the 3rd one out.. Be patient & stick with it and you'll slowly building up to doing 10 - 20..
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

when you get to the point where you can do 4 sets of 25, start adding weight. First one plate.. then if you really want to start building your tris.. do 4 sets of 10 with 2 45's hanging between your legs. You really need to build up your shoulders too though, because you can get hurt because there is a lot pressure on them along with your tris with that much weight.

El Kabong Guest

If you have trouble at first you can get someone to spot you. Have them hold your feet and it'll make it a little easier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think you should flare your elbows out and allow the chest to do most of the work rather than the arms.. because if you have a stronger chest than arms then you will be able to do more dips, and if you have stronger arms than chest then this will build the chest up to catch the arms. So I'd flare the elbows out if I was you..

But hey, dips don't equate to boxing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DD
    I think you should flare your elbows out and allow the chest to do most of the work rather than the arms.. because if you have a stronger chest than arms then you will be able to do more dips, and if you have stronger arms than chest then this will build the chest up to catch the arms. So I'd flare the elbows out if I was you..

It depends on what you are trying to do. Dips are a tricepts excercise, but if you want to work on your chest keep your elbows wide. But if your trying to get your tris stronger keep them in, and keep your form very strict. Every excercise you do should be targeted to one muscle. Concentrate on feeling that muscle and the contractions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by luke
    Quote Originally Posted by DD

It depends on what you are trying to do. Dips are a tricepts excercise, but if you want to work on your chest keep your elbows wide. But if your trying to get your tris stronger keep them in, and keep your form very strict. Every excercise you do should be targeted to one muscle. Concentrate on feeling that muscle and the contractions.
    No that's bullshit, absolute crap. That's bodybuilding not boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whatever man.. Im just telling you its a fact. You don't bench press to build up your freaking calves. You do the excercise for a freaking reason. You chest doesn't punch. Your legs and your arms do. If you want to build your chest up, do CHEST EXCERCISES. Bench, incline, flyes, decline, etc. If you want to build up your tri's do tri excerices. Dips, skull crushers, tricept extensions, kickbacks, etc. Don't kid yourself man. If your going to do a excercise DO IT RIGHT. Don't half as$ is because it doesn't hurt as bad. Anyone can do dips if your arms are wide. But it doesn't do anything for the muscle. The stronger your tris are, the harder you hit. Why do you think Tyson did 2000 dips a day.. to build his tris.

Bodybuilding and boxing are different.. and you lift different for each sport. The difference is the excercises you do, and the weight and repetitions you do. Not how you perform the excercise. Your comment was one of the most assinine comments I have seen on this board. I'm not some punk who talks out my @ss, I know my stuff. I live what I preach. When you can do 35 dips with a hundred pounds hanging from your legs come back and talk to me. Its always the girls do the curls in front the squat rack that say things like... "form isn't important", and "just do the excercise, dont worry about how you do it". And its those same guys who curl and bench all day, and would get freaking crushed by a 200 pound squat. Build your legs up, build your freaking tris up.. and you will hit harder. I swear to it on my life. Big chests are for lifters.. I dont think they hinder boxing that much.. but it has no GREAT affect. Personal opinion only. Form makes the muscle stronger and stops you from hurting yourself. To get stronger you have to add weight, but add it appropriately.

Get away from the mirror, put the curl bar down.. slap a 45 around your waist.. and do some freaking dips like a man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whatever man.. Im just telling you its a fact. You don't bench press to build up your freaking calves. You do the excercise for a freaking reason. You chest doesn't punch. Your legs and your arms do. If you want to build your chest up, do CHEST EXCERCISES.  Bench, incline, flyes, decline, etc. If you want to build up your tri's do tri excerices. Dips, skull crushers, tricept extensions, kickbacks, etc. Don't kid yourself man. If your going to do a excercise DO IT RIGHT. Don't half as$ is because it doesn't hurt as bad. Anyone can do dips if your arms are wide. But it doesn't do anything for the muscle. The stronger your tris are, the harder you hit. Why do you think Tyson did 2000 dips a day.. to build his tris.Â

Bodybuilding and boxing are different.. and you lift different for each sport. The difference is the excercises you do, and the weight and repetitions you do. Not how you perform the excercise. Your comment was one of the most assinine comments I have seen on this board. I'm not some punk who talks out my @ss, I know my stuff. I live what I preach. When you can do 35 dips with a hundred pounds hanging from your legs come back and talk to me. Its always the girls do the curls in front the squat rack that say things like... "form isn't important", and "just do the excercise, dont worry about how you do it".  And its those same guys who curl and bench all day, and would get freaking crushed by a 200 pound squat. Build your legs up, build your freaking tris up.. and you will hit harder. I swear to it on my life. Big chests are for lifters.. I dont think they hinder boxing that much.. but it has no GREAT affect. Personal opinion only. Form makes the muscle stronger and stops you from hurting yourself. To get stronger you have to add weight, but add it appropriately. Â

Get away from the mirror, put the curl bar down.. slap a 45 around your waist.. and do some freaking dips like a man.
    Boxing is not Bodybuilding. If you train like a Bodybuilder then your not doing your performance any favours.

No you don't do dips to "build the tri's", why would you want to do that?? You do dips because they are a bodyweight exercise, a calethenic, you do them for GPP. Like sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups... they are calethenics. That's why you do them. Throwing barbells around will not do anything for your Boxing, calethenics won't do much either but they are bodyweight exercises and great GPP - that's why boxers do them.

Go on you carry on training like a Bodybuilder, that's fine. But remember, it's not Boxing(duh!).

(Tyson did 500-800 dips a day for GPP, he did bodyweight exercises).

For your information, no I don't bench and curl and never have done, they are for sissies.

I squat 6 days a week and train olympic lifting right now. Before getting into olympic lifting, I never used weights in my life because I didn't need them - I was a BOXER. When I was Boxing - I did daily stretching, sprints, jogging, sit-ups, push-ups, pull-ups and dips.. that's all I did aside from actually BOXING.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good article....

Weight Training For Boxers
    By Ross Enamait, M.S., CFT

Despite advancements in sport-science, many boxers continue to avoid weight training like the black plague. While athletes from mainstream sports such as baseball, basketball, and football continue to benefit from the increased strength that accompanies a proper weight training program, many boxing trainers continue to discredit the validity of the iron. Over the years, I have been advised by several veteran trainers to avoid weights altogether.

Fortunately, in recent years, the United States Amateur Boxing Association has taken note of the improvements that several European fighters have experienced through weight training. In addition, well-known professionals such as Evander Holyfield, Shane Mosley, and Kostya Tszyu (just to name a few) have utilized weights to their advantage. In this article, I will discuss how to develop a weight training program that will benefit you inside the ring.

First, let's look at the various benefits that strength training provides. We will then look at many myths that exist regarding weight training and boxing.

Consider the scenario where two equally skilled boxers face off inside the ring. Suppose each fighter has similar experience, speed, and power. What separates the two individuals? While several factors will affect the outcome, such as the style and courage of each athlete, one factor often overlooked is the relative strength of each fighter. Essentially, if two fighters are equal in skill, the stronger man is often victorious. In this situation, a proper weight training program can provide an advantage to the fighter.

Let's Look At What Weight Training Can Do

Weight training creates stronger athletes. A strong opponent is a dangerous opponent. Weight training can also make boxers less susceptible to injury by strengthening muscles, bones, and ligaments. In addition, strength training can increase explosive power and anaerobic endurance. Boxing has been estimated to be approximately 70-80% anaerobic and 20-30% aerobic. Anaerobic means to conduct an activity without oxygen. Anaerobic exercise, such as boxing, stresses muscles at a high intensity for short periods of time. Essentially, this equates to the fast combinations that a fighter throws. Aerobic exercise is defined as lower intensity activities, performed for longer periods of time. An example of aerobic activity in boxing would be the time spent circling the ring in between combinations.

Myths About Weight Training For Boxers

Weight training will make the boxer slower
    Science has proven that weight training can actually increase speed and power. A properly developed weight program will not sacrifice the speed of the boxer.

Weight training will make your muscles tight and more prone to fatigue
    A proper weight training routine will increase muscular endurance, meaning the athlete will be less prone to fatigue. Weight training will not cause unnecessary soreness or muscle tightness. Extreme soreness is a byproduct of over training, lack of rest, and poor nutritional habits (not weight training).

Weight training is only beneficial if done with light weights and high reps
    A boxer has little to gain from a weight routine that emphasizes light weights. Training with light weights will lead to minor improvements in aerobic capacity. This form of training will do little to increase explosive power and speed. The boxer must perform medium to heavy lifts with fast, ballistic movements.

Weight training will decrease the flexibility of a fighter, limiting their range of motion
    A proper weight training program will actually increase range of motion and provide greater flexibility.

Boxers do not have time or a need for weight training
    If you cannot find time for strength training, make time for losing. A boxer’s weekly routine includes several components such as roadwork, sparring, heavy bag work, and strength training. No single piece of the puzzle will develop a champion, rather an integrated, complete approach is necessary.
    Recommendations

A boxer can conduct a weight training routine 1-3 days per week. More than 3 sessions per week will detract from sport-specific training requirements such as sparring and bag work. A strong boxer without technique or ring experience will equate to a poor boxer.

Do not perform weight training on sparring days. You should also halt the weight training routine at least one week before competition. Do not leave your strength at the gym. You must bring it to the ring. I typically recommend one strength session on a non-sparring day during the week, and one session on the weekend when the boxing gym is closed. A sample routine could be performed on Wednesday and Saturday.

How To Train

Weight training for boxers should be performed with weights that are approximately 60-85% of your maximum. For example, if you can bench press 100 pounds for 1 repetition, perform your strength session with weights between 60 and 85 pounds. Repetition ranges should vary depending on your specific goals. Lower reps (with heavier loads) will develop power/max strength, while mid-range reps (with moderate loads) can be utilized when training speed strength. Higher repetitions can also be incorporated with certain full body movements such as dumbbell swings or snatches when the goal is total body conditioning.

When lifting the weights, remember to move the weight in an explosive manner. To maximize speed and power, you must train accordingly. For example, when performing the bench press, push the weight up forcefully. Train fast to be fast.

A boxer’s strength training goals are much different from a bodybuilder. A fighter trains for function, always remaining cognizant of his bodyweight. You must increase strength while remaining within the confines of your weight class. Focus your efforts around major muscle groups that will benefit you inside the ring.

Sample Routine

Dumbbell Snatches – 3 x 5 reps per arm
    Bench Press – 3 x 6 reps
    Plyometric Pushups – 3 x 10
    Power Cleans – 3 x 4 reps
    Dumbbell Lunges 3 x 6 per leg
    Weighted Pull-ups – 4 x 6
    Dumbbell Swings – 3 x 12 per arm (conditioning emphasis)
    Note – Bench press and plyometric pushups are performed together as a complex set. Perform one set of plyometric pushups immediately after completing one set of bench press.

This routine targets the entire body, and ends with a higher rep set of dumbbell swings to serve as an effective finisher. This sample offers just one of many possibilities. Variety is always important when training. You must constantly hit the muscles from different angles, with different exercises, to foster continuous growth and improvement.

This information provides a basic introduction to your strength training needs.

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym3.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What you've just posted is not a bodybuilding routine, but a power training routine of multi-joint exercises (which I don't disagree with for sports performance).

But you were mentioning isolating each muscle, which is absurd (unless your a pro bodybuilder).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, what I said was do the excercises right. You spread your arms wider, you are taking the preassure off your tris, making it a chest excercise, which is what your chest excercises are for. Anyways, Im done with the bickering... everybody has their own opinions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No, what I said was do the excercises right.  You spread your arms wider, you are taking the preassure off your tris, making it a chest excercise, which is what your chest excercises are for. Anyways, Im done with the bickering... everybody has their own opinions...
    dips shouldn't be done to isolate any muscle unless your a bodybuilder, and judging by your avator pic you have a bodybuilders physique.

Thread Information