Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default how should i spar him?

well im going to be sparing one of my friends but when we spar he is only going to be using his left hand because it is more fair. Do you have any tips on how i should play this fight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: how should i spar him?

any one? ohh yeah and his left hand is his weak one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

jab the heck out of him. Left uppercut is good too if he rushes in, but mostly use the jab.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Footwork: If this guy is fighting without his right, you don't have to worry about the right cross, circle left, devolop your jab from there, and control his arm.

Comfort Zone and Slipping Punches: Can you slip his punches, can you bob, weave and duck? If so establish a confortable range in which you can control your opponent. He'll be jabbing like crazy no doubt, you on the other hand should circle to the left, and that punch comes, you can slip to the left, his jab will fly over your right shoulder, move in and nail that open face with an inside hook, from there you can continue with different combinations.

Of course You can also slip to the right, his jab will fly over your left shoulder, and his body is exposed to your onslaught! Strength required- Here's another one you should write down, slip to your right parrying his left arm hard with your right and drive yourself into'em, this will put the guy off balance, giving you a bag of tricks to go from there.

If you are slipping the left-hook, make sure your right hand is glued to the your right of your jaw, KEEP YOUR EYES ON YOUR OPPONENT, and weave under the left hook, put him off balance again by forcing his left arm with your right, from there you can go for the body. Nailing his head or liver is optional.

Pressure: Since this guy is sparring you with a left-only handycap, you'll have the upper hand in pressure. Pressure is in your jab, and combo's and not giving him the opportunity to revolt. You are pressuring him, not yielding but controlling the rhythm of the fight. When he throws his left, you slip it, and you punish him. If he throws a left-hook, you you slip/weave under it, move you feet, and punish him again.

Watch out for his jab and establish your own. Winky Wright v.s Tito Trinidad is a perfect example how a jab can put pressure in the fight, Winky plays it safe, relying on his jab. It was beautiful work, he controlled the distance, the rhythm, and with his defence and jabbing, he didn't give Trinidad a chance.

Just be cool and establish your jab, be unpredictable with it (Change the speeds, hit different areas, double, triple it, and tie combinations with it), don't let it hang, bring it back to guard asap. Be unpredictable, keep the pressure on, like Wright did to Trinidad, don't ever let him confortable, you are a "Bad Mofo" you are not liked, don't say you are sorry you are the punisher, and you are in command!

As I said when you are slipping, you should try to put him off balance if you get the chance. Be bull and control the center of gravity. Don't be a wuss and have him back you up, Don't let him take the center of gravity without giving him hell! If he tries to bull you, you take that away by moving side to side, you are the bull, not him. In a clinch you are overpowering him (leaning on him pushing his arms down, and when you're free, you're backing him up, when he punches, you knock'em off his rocker!

Throw some Feints in for good flavor. Once you are cammanding respect with your punches, findout what what makes him flinch, what makes him react. Once you set him up, cut him down!

Head strong... Don't ever be Mr. Nice guy and say your sorry for putting your head under his chin, the best thing is when he straightens up, he stick him. Its hard cammandin the fight when your opponent is playing with the elevator buttons on your chin.

Quote Originally Posted by Purist
    jab the heck out of him. Left uppercut is good too if he rushes in, but mostly use the jab.
    And with that said, "JAB THE FREAK'N HECK OUTTUV'EM", This is establishes pressure, and with good measure controls thefight, once you got the jab established in your favor, you got it made. Be unpredictable, and frustrate him with it, screw with his balance, his rhythm, his focus, be a jabber, not a jobber.

-Rocky
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thanks man, that should help alot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'Skuze my linguistics, it's fixed now.

The best way you can practice is through controlled sparring. You should also practice the basics, (jabbing, combinations, defence, combinations, footwork etc...) You have my blessing, just let us know how you killed the guy.

-Rocky
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ya ill keep you updated, its scheduled to happen in two weeks

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You say that he is only going to be using his left as its more fair, so I take it he has been at it longer and is more experienced. More than likely he is trying to work on his left hand punches/combos, or one defense and left hand counters. See, sparring is not fighting, it is mutual training and learning. I would suggest you work on your jab (while simultaneously working on protecting your self while jabbing) You can work on getting past the jab to fight in close - and I'm sure your friend will help you work on not getting left-hooked while you do so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aye crunky, your friend is probably going to try to establish his jab, and his right will only play a defensive role.

Your game plan should involve neutralizing his opponent's jab, establishing your own jab and rhythm while messing youropponent's rhythm.

Since you have the advantage in offence, you should preasure your opponent, counterpunching around his jab, while incorporating headmovement, and footwork.

All out sparring is fun, but I can tell you one thing you won't be learning a whole lot unless you are working toward something. There's a reason why sparring is called practice sessions, your practicing different things, such as techniques (ofence, defence, footwork, tactics etc) and improving your qualities of a fighter (agility, speed, power etc.)

If you want to make a world of difference in your ability as a fighter, go to a gym, learn the know-hows and pick up a sparring partner, if you keep to that your going to make major gains.

-Rocky

Thread Information