Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default A few Mis-Conception's people tend to have when talking boxing

I see here (and other places) where guys/ladies tend to talk boxing, judge careers etc but seem to lose concept on exactly how things are ment to be spoken about, words seem to be arranged in their favor to eith hype their fighter, nexcuse a loss or just plain old make it so they do not have to admit being wrong on a subject,,,,The one thing though about Saddo's unlike other forums is other places that I will not mention "Cough Boxing Cough Talk" is at least we do not pull out a F*** Y** as our ace in the hole...commom other places...but like I was saying though there are certain things that are overlooiked when debating or maybe just ignored...That I just do not understand

A fighters career-
    Fighters all have their prime in different stages, some are late bloomers others only have a prime that last about 5 fights, all depends on the fighter. People tend to judge the wrong way when doing a look back at a fighters past.....You judge how great a fighter was by his prime and prime alone, sure they have fights past their prime but the prime is how you base things on- anything past the prime is an add on...some guys fight past their best due to money reasons, others due to the fact they just can not hang them up....EG- Ali, when people speak of Ali it is not the Berbick fight where he is judged on how good he was, Same for Ray Leonard people do not judge him by the loss to Camacho....in fact for those guys those fights are hardly mentioned..Why? because that was not Ray Leonard or Ali..it was mere shells of their former selves and it would be unfair to include those bouts. Is it on their official resume? Yes but not them in their prime.....Hell Joe Nameth could go out and throw one more TD pass but would you include the back breaking tackle that followed as part of his career?.............It goes both ways...EG- Alfonso Gomez...If he met PBF tommorow and somehow won..but lost every other fight after...would that make him an ATG?...No it means he had one hell of a night and that is that......Refer to fighters in their prime don't give them false glory for one accomplishment or losses that came because the man did not know or could not go when the time was right

BUM--Pride already did a thread about this but still see it everywhere...and it is NEVER USED IN THE RIGHT CONTEXT!!!!!.....I will not go into the fact that any man who gives it his 100% in there ring is not a BUM....He may not be any good but that does not make him a BUM...and FYI to some of you out there that are fond of the word...In boxing it was not used for a guy who sucked but just the opposite...It was for a fighter with all the ability that never used it like they should have....EG- HW Jeremy Bates is not a BUM...Glass Jawed, unskilled, clumsey yes but he gets in there and tries...Zab Judah, Fast, good power, slkick movement, but mentally just throws it away everytime there is a moment of despair in the ring..that is a bum...because he did not need to do the things he did or stop trying...Another in that catagory would be Mike Tyson, Threw away what could have been the greatest not only HW but top 5 ATG careers ever

Losing-- If your fighter loses or looks bad in a bout just admit it!!!! Reguardless of the reason, There seems to be more excuses from the fans then the camp's themselves, I see post start flying up everywhere after a guy loses for 1000 reasons I don't know which is more out of control the thread title or the post itself....."Marquez family being held Hostage"
    Just read this on weknownothingaboutboxing.com...Marquez family is being held hostage by French vollyball players thats why he did not beat Vazquez and took the 12th round off......I know a bit over the top but everyone knows what I am saying....I love even more when the poster says..."I just heard this"...OK from where? your imagination?.....

Bandwagons!!- This is the all time most annoying thing anywhere!!! A fighter has a couple good wins in a row and all of a sudden they are the greatest thing since Wonder starting slicing bread....Prime example David Haye.. Strong guy decent skills good win against Enzo and Good win Over Mormeck but WTF!!!! After the Enzo bout people were ahiling him the greatest thing EVER!!!! Lets see some threads were..."Is Haye the Saviour of HW boxing"...I seen someone post he is the greatest CW of all time...I even seen a post on another site where a guy swore Haye's power is the most frightening since a prime Tyson!!!!....Another called him the hardest Hitter P4P in boxing history!!!..Another said Haye would have beaten Lewis, Holmes..and another stated Haye would do what Holyfield could not...Be the only CW to jump up and take over the division by taking out all comers....My favvorite on this site was a guy who said Haye hit harder then Wlad or Peter!!!....Give me a break would you...Who the hell has Haye beat? Mormeck and Enzo?...Not ATG's fellow's....Sparking out some CWTS and a few unknown heavies is a whole different ballgame then stepping up and wiping out the upper tier of the big boys no matter how thin the division is....After this weekend it wiull be a new fighter up there and the same guys will totally forget Haye and sing their paraises..."Pacquiao should take over the world who wants to help" or "JMM wins anyone who does not speak spanish and get his name tatooed on him should be shot"......I know that is all a bit over the top but seriously it gets out of control....It would not be so bad if the same people did not suddenly think a new fighter every week is the greatest.....stick with a guy it is called being a fan!!!...Reminds me of the kid next door growing up...His favorite football team was whoever won the Superbowl that year....He could not even spell Pittburgh or tell you what state Dallas was in if you offerd him a million bucks

OK my rant is over now.....Sorry to all those who endured it and to those who do not want to admit it happens all the time Kiss My Ass because you are the ones who are the biggest felons of it.....

It is not for me to say how anyone post and I love everyone you Bitche's (though some less then others)..and I like debating with everyone...Just had to get it out of my system
    Last edited by DaxxKahn; 03-12-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A few Mis-Conception's people tend to have when talking boxing

Good thread Daxx and I must agree.
    One factor that irratates me is the sudden loss of memory suffered on these boards.
    Some guys spend weeks going on about a fighter that is going to beat another.
    They hype it up, talk trash and dis the other fighter.

When I pick a losing fighter (Diaz v Campbell, Taylor v Pavlik and Rick v Floyd.) I claim it. I don't like it when guys deny they ever picked one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Good thread Daxx and I must agree.
    One factor that irratates me is the sudden loss of memory suffered on these boards.
    Some guys spend weeks going on about a fighter that is going to beat another.
    They hype it up, talk trash and dis the other fighter.

When I pick a losing fighter (Diaz v Campbell, Taylor v Pavlik and Rick v Floyd.) I claim it. I don't like it when guys deny they ever picked one.
    Agree..One of the reasons I made the thread...Was directed at no one in particular....Those who do it know who they are.....Though in prediction contest I do tend to pick my favorite out of hopes they spark the other guy out......Also the reason I do so bvadly in the contest

The one week I pick based on the fact I think he will win even though I don't like him GUESS WHAT?...THE JERK LOSES....I knew I did not like Diaz for a reason

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    Agree..One of the reasons I made the thread...Was directed at no one in particular....Those who do it know who they are.....Though in prediction contest I do tend to pick my favorite out of hopes they spark the other guy out......Also the reason I do so bvadly in the contest

The one week I pick based on the fact I think he will win even though I don't like him GUESS WHAT?...THE JERK LOSES....I knew I did not like Diaz for a reason
    Ha Ha thats just bad luck!

I felt sorry for Diaz, he looked very agrieved with his performance and I think he was surprised when he got the vote from one judge.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good shit! Daxx....

I know you said they weren't directed at any one person but I can already see those whom these things apply to and the look on their faces...

I will admit that I am a new 'Haye' fan I liked the guy from pretty early on and the fact that hes exciting makes him one of my current favs. I asked Smashup (Leader of Team Haye) right after Hayes win over JMMormeck if there was any more room on the Team Haye....

I think the 2 threads about Haye, the one where hes labeled a GREAT and the one about him being the saviour of the Heavyweights are a bit over the top. You gotta think the one about him being great was done pre-Enzo... If you go through it you'll see my response on there about the word "great" being thrown around too easily now a days...

To be honest Hayes a very good CW and hes beat 2 prominent names.
    But as far as a Great CW... Hmmmmm!!! I don't know I mean.
    CDL, St.Gordon, Carmel and not to mention Holyfield.....
    Matter a fact I'm not sure how a fight between he and Yaqui Lopez or 'Miracle' Saad would end up. The guy is certainly on his way to greatness but that road is still a long ways to go.

Anyway. I too have issues....

Great - The word great being placed next to almost any name.
    Undefeated - People think that being undefeated is part of being great.
    Fights - People who comment on fights they haven't seen.
    Fighters - People who comment on fighters they haven't seen or they've seen a highlight video and they comment like they've seen his whole career.

You might be fooling some people who aren't aware of certain things but you don't fool the rest of us who know the real deal...

I like how people say I've seen Harry Greb and he's an ATG.....
    Uuuuummm! News Flash no fight video exsist of Greb the only footage of Greb that is known is him training/sparring... I think a few years back someone on the net claimed to have Greb fights but it was all a lie.
    Or people who say I've seen/have all of Tysons fights or all of Cottos fights.... Ummmm! News Flash both Tyson & Cotto have 1 fight that no video exsist of. So you can't possibly have all of their fights.

My rants over here and if the shoe fits then wear it.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think the whole bandwagon thing is great! Its just love really. I mean i was never really for the overhyped fighter bandwagon thing.....

Unless we were talking about James Toney being a future Heavyweight God

Oh and i don't mean love in a gay way
    Last edited by Jimanuel Boogustus; 03-12-2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Because i ain't Gay!!
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Hatton hate-wagon pisses me off by far the most, and the Junior Witter band wagon also really pisses me off. I think Bradley is going to take him and I cant wait to see the look on some peoples faces.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love the one where people say "Anyone who thinks that doesn't know boxing" just because they disagree with their opinion.

To Seddon:

I think Bradley is very talented, I wish he had of fought Bailey that would have been a great fight. I also believe he would have defeated Castillo had he made weight. But Witter is a different story. I am one who has been saying for quite awhile that Witter would beat Hatton & I took a few sc for it. But if you think it's an easy fight for Witter I gotta disagree. I think it will be a very evenly matched contest!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

El Kabong Guest

People do tend to go over the top on here but it's a boxing forum and all we basically talk is boxing and so it's bound to get out of control sometimes and people are going to go too far in their statements as well.

People hate on Wlad unjustly and people think Wlad is invincible....I TRY to be rational in my appreciation of his skills but I am sure I think more highly of his skills than the average person....this kind of stuff tends to balance out HOWEVER the farther the haters go then the more nutjobs we have on here that think Wlad is some kind of super human.....so the more rational and reasonable everyone is then the less shitheads we have on here.

And one thing that really pissed me off is all those James Toney freaks thinking he was going to totally whip Wlad's ass......he didn't even come close to fighting Wlad and farther from beating him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Good shit! Daxx....

I know you said they weren't directed at any one person but I can already see those whom these things apply to and the look on their faces...

I will admit that I am a new 'Haye' fan I liked the guy from pretty early on and the fact that hes exciting makes him one of my current favs. I asked Smashup (Leader of Team Haye) right after Hayes win over JMMormeck if there was any more room on the Team Haye....

I think the 2 threads about Haye, the one where hes labeled a GREAT and the one about him being the saviour of the Heavyweights are a bit over the top. You gotta think the one about him being great was done pre-Enzo... If you go through it you'll see my response on there about the word "great" being thrown around too easily now a days...

To be honest Hayes a very good CW and hes beat 2 prominent names.
    But as far as a Great CW... Hmmmmm!!! I don't know I mean.
    CDL, St.Gordon, Carmel and not to mention Holyfield.....
    Matter a fact I'm not sure how a fight between he and Yaqui Lopez or 'Miracle' Saad would end up. The guy is certainly on his way to greatness but that road is still a long ways to go.

Anyway. I too have issues....

Great - The word great being placed next to almost any name.
    Undefeated - People think that being undefeated is part of being great.
    Fights - People who comment on fights they haven't seen.
    Fighters - People who comment on fighters they haven't seen or they've seen a highlight video and they comment like they've seen his whole career.

You might be fooling some people who aren't aware of certain things but you don't fool the rest of us who know the real deal...

I like how people say I've seen Harry Greb and he's an ATG.....
    Uuuuummm! News Flash no fight video exsist of Greb the only footage of Greb that is known is him training/sparring... I think a few years back someone on the net claimed to have Greb fights but it was all a lie.
    Or people who say I've seen/have all of Tysons fights or all of Cottos fights.... Ummmm! News Flash both Tyson & Cotto have 1 fight that no video exsist of. So you can't possibly have all of their fights.

My rants over here and if the shoe fits then wear it.

I just used Haye as an example because he is the flavor of the month so to speak...Had been going on about a ton of guys for a long time and will continue to but like I said just had to get it out....

Agreed on people who like to comment on fighters who they have never seen or that there is little or no footage of.....and I have to disagree about one thing...You can judge how good that fighter was like Greb for example but to do so you need to really look at his career on paper...EG- his record and who he beat, what stage of their careers and in what fashion. Also you need to read what boxing experts (Historians because now a days everone is an expert) have said about him things of that nature...Then you can make a fair assesment but again as you said...you can not really argue his greatness just comment on what you have heard...there is a difference and many people don't seem to know it

Agreed on the undefeated thing...Undefeated does not mean greatness

Fights they have not seen- Gotta love the guys that say "Well so and so told me " and so and so is supposed to be the word of bond?

Good stuff Mick....

Rep to all...those who did not get rep from me on this thread means I just got you not too long ago

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    I just used Haye as an example because he is the flavor of the month so to speak...Had been going on about a ton of guys for a long time and will continue to but like I said just had to get it out....
    You just reminded me on 2 of my fav. ones...

I remember when P. Williams beat Rios and Matthysse people came on here making threads about Williams vs. Cotto, Williams vs. PBF, Williams vs. Margarito etc. etc. etc.

Another one of my fav. is from anothe welterweight. I remember right after A. Berto beat Sparkman and Figueroa people came on here making threads about Berto beating Cotto and Cintron.

You gotta love that... Sometimes we hype the shit! out of fighters and I 'was' guilty as charged and I'll always admit that I did this with "Panchito" Bojado but I learned a lot from that expirience.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hindsight Is 20/20. Today's hype has a way of becoming tomorrow's Punchline.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Daxx about not having to see a fighters fights to understand how good they were. If you read a lot & do your research you are able to make an assessment. I like to use Charlie Burley & Robinson at welterweight as examples.

But I get where Mick is coming from about folks that talk about fights they haven't even seen
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Daxx, the voice of reason spot on.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its BOLLOCKS, this spreading it around .
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information