Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shame on Ring Mag and Shame on the WBC!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shame on Ring Mag and Shame on the WBC!

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny_G View Post
    In 2009 you will be singing with me or I will be singing with you. Knowing PBF, I think my tune will prevail and you will be making apologees to the forum
    You're right, by 2009 we'll know who's right and who's wrong.

So why not spend 2008 talking about the fights that are actually happening instead of starting threads everyday about this fight that isn't happening?
    Really can not see to many at all getting pummed up and clamoring for a GBP cash-grab rematch while the top 7-8 welters have fights pending with one another or just coming of the same.

Me personnaly I want the man with the biggest swagger to get in class and start sorting it out as a dominate champion.I don't care if it's Cotto,winner of Margarito/Cintron...someone .What really happens if,A big If Imo, Oscar defeats Mayweather? Trilogy ........we Wait another 1 or 2 years.?
    When did I ever say I was excited or clamoring for a Floyd-Oscar rematch? I didn't say that, because I'm not excited to see that fight.

But this thread is about the Ring Magazine belt, and I have yet to see a viable explanation of why Floyd shouldn't be the Ring Welterweight Champ and why Miguel Cotto should.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=SweetPea;484374]
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    You're right, by 2009 we'll know who's right and who's wrong.

So why not spend 2008 talking about the fights that are actually happening instead of starting threads everyday about this fight that isn't happening?
    Really can not see to many at all getting pummed up and clamoring for a GBP cash-grab rematch while the top 7-8 welters have fights pending with one another or just coming of the same.

Me personnaly I want the man with the biggest swagger to get in class and start sorting it out as a dominate champion.I don't care if it's Cotto,winner of Margarito/Cintron...someone .What really happens if,A big If Imo, Oscar defeats Mayweather? Trilogy ........we Wait another 1 or 2 years.?
    When did I ever say I was excited or clamoring for a Floyd-Oscar rematch? I didn't say that, because I'm not excited to see that fight.

But this thread is about the Ring Magazine belt, and I have yet to see a viable explanation of why Floyd shouldn't be the Ring Welterweight Champ and why Miguel Cotto should.[/quote]
    Well is simple SweetPea , because Cotto is in arragement to fight with anybody after Gomez and Floyd dont........

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For starters Hatton was the Jr. W champ & to me champion vs champion is better than say a Cotto/ Gomez fight!

Second Floyd has never lost his championship & will remain Ring champion until he loses it in the ring, retires or completely moves to another division!

You should change the name of the thread because the only shame I see is on you for not recognizing that the Rings policy is trying to better the game!
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My problem with that list is that Zab is at #6!? The only fighters he has beaten in the last five years are Edwin Vasquez and Ryan Davis. How hes even top 10 is beyond me.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
    For starters Hatton was the Jr. W champ & to me champion vs champion is better than say a Cotto/ Gomez fight!

Second Floyd has never lost his championship & will remain Ring champion until he loses it in the ring, retires or completely moves to another division!

You should change the name of the thread because the only shame I see is on you for not recognizing that the Rings policy is trying to better the game!

Exactly they are moaning about Floyd facing Oscar De Hoya, Ricky Hatton and then De La Hoya again in three successive matches whilst meanwhile Cotto takes on the man who finished 3rd from Season 1 of the Contender

In Danny's defense I can kind of see his point in Floyd moving up to 154 but keeping his welterweight title, then moving back down making a single defense and then moving back up to face Oscar at 154 lbs again this time for no belt.

Hopefully Oscar can somehow get himself down to 147 so its a real welterweight title fight.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    My problem with that list is that Zab is at #6!? The only fighters he has beaten in the last five years are Edwin Vasquez and Ryan Davis. How hes even top 10 is beyond me.
    He fought well against Mayweather & the Cotto fight without the low blows could have been interesting. I still think he's a tough opponent for anyone in the top 10!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is some truth to both sides of this argument. But it's funny how floyd is always fighting the "right" guy untill after he beats them, then the opponet was too small , to old, to whatever.
    Last edited by Mar; 03-23-2008 at 05:07 AM.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

Exactly they are moaning about Floyd facing Oscar De Hoya, Ricky Hatton and then De La Hoya again in three successive matches whilst meanwhile Cotto takes on the man who finished 3rd from Season 1 of the Contender

In Danny's defense I can kind of see his point in Floyd moving up to 154 but keeping his welterweight title, then moving back down making a single defense and then moving back up to face Oscar at 154 lbs again this time for no belt.

Hopefully Oscar can somehow get himself down to 147 so its a real welterweight title fight.
    I don't see anything wrong with Floyd moving between divisions. The old timers used to do it so they should be able to now. Floyd's last fight was a defense of his championship. The Rings policy gives fighters the opportunity to hold championships in different divisions just like the great Henry Armstrong did & I think thats great!!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't see anything wrong with Floyd moving between divisions. The old timers used to do it so they should be able to now. Floyd's last fight was a defense of his championship. The Rings policy gives fighters the opportunity to hold championships in different divisions just like the great Henry Armstrong did & I think thats great!!!
    Nah I'm all for it I'd love to see fighters move up and hold titles in mutliple weight classes but I don't think the modern game allows for it?

Are you sure the Ring allows that? They currently only rate Floyd at welter so I'm guessing they don't allow for multiple weight champs.

To my knowledge a fighter is only allowed to compete in one division at a time hence why Henry Armstrongs record has always been unique.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nah I'm all for it I'd love to see fighters move up and hold titles in mutliple weight classes but I don't think the modern game allows for it?

Are you sure the Ring allows that? They currently only rate Floyd at welter so I'm guessing they don't allow for multiple weight champs.

To my knowledge a fighter is only allowed to compete in one division at a time hence why Henry Armstrongs record has always been unique.
    Yes the Ring allows it which is another plus for their policy... when Jones Jr defeated Ruiz they ranked him as LH champ & ranked him in the top 10 heavies. When he got starched by Tarver & showed no interest at fighting at heavy they removed him. Same with Floyd when he beat Oscar he was ranked 147 champ & #3 JrM. I think cause Floyd only fought at that weight for the DLH fight & wanted to remain at 147 they removed him from the 154 pound rankings. Hatton was the same 140 champ & I think #4 147 after the Collazo win.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never been impressed with PBF and I think I'm the only one here who believes he lost to ODLH.

Hayyyy. I've been debating with ICB before regarding PBF and I don't want to engage in any debates anymore coz it will just cost me some precious reps.

How I wish Danny G was one of the judges in my debate with ICB.

I could have won that debating title.

PS. I made a mistake in choosing Bilbo as one of the judges.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm not going to make this a Cotto v Floyd thread:there's plenty of time for that fight to occur,Cotto needs to get past a few challenges before that.

I do think that it's a legitimate question about Floyd and being the RING ww champ though. Question to the RING buffs here(I'm talking to you Galaxy),if Floyd doesn't fight a TOP10 RANKED ww this year,does he still keep the title bearing in mind that he has not fought a true top 10 147 pounder for over a year?

I give him credit for fighting Ricky and Oscar:that's why he's still P4P number 1 but this whole "not fighting a ring ranked WW" is getting absurd. Look at how stacked WW is and he can't even fight one of those guys?!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brucelee View Post
    Never been impressed with PBF and I think I'm the only one here who believes he lost to ODLH.

Hayyyy. I've been debating with ICB before regarding PBF and I don't want to engage in any debates anymore coz it will just cost me some precious reps.

How I wish Danny G was one of the judges in my debate with ICB.

I could have won that debating title.

PS. I made a mistake in choosing Bilbo as one of the judges.
    Jeez your still on about that ?? that was ages ago i wern't even 18 then was i ?? but you lost and you lost big my friend. You had big advantage bit like you being Sugar Ray Leonard in this situation and me being Roberto Duran in there first meeting, but instead of boxing and using movement, you slugged and got eaten alive on the inside hope this helps why you lost.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo View Post
    I'm not going to make this a Cotto v Floyd thread:there's plenty of time for that fight to occur,Cotto needs to get past a few challenges before that.

I do think that it's a legitimate question about Floyd and being the RING ww champ though. Question to the RING buffs here(I'm talking to you Galaxy),if Floyd doesn't fight a TOP10 RANKED ww this year,does he still keep the title bearing in mind that he has not fought a true top 10 147 pounder for over a year?

I give him credit for fighting Ricky and Oscar:that's why he's still P4P number 1 but this whole "not fighting a ring ranked WW" is getting absurd. Look at how stacked WW is and he can't even fight one of those guys?!
    Very true EG. Truth is, PBF is afraid to take a bigger risk of tainting his undefeated record.Not that Hatton was a not a risk for him but almost all unbiased members here would agree with me that we (hatton fans) had hoped (and some had prayed) that Hatton wins over PBF though our minds are telling us that it's highly not probable to happen.

Let PBF fight Cotto to erase any doubts about his p4p title!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo View Post

Floyd will remain welterweight champion until he losses in the ring, or he notifies The Ring, that he is retired or changing weight classes. I know it sucks when a fighter sits on his title, but this is still a better system then the modern alphabet trinket system, where there is no clarity, and titles are bought and sold for sanction fees.

And if you read The Ring, there is almost an article per month saying that Floyd needs to fight cotto.

Thread Information