Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default New to Sparring

I'm goin to be sparring a slightly taller guy with a better reach and better condition. I know the fundamentals pretty good and I have been working the heavy bag pretty good and skipping rope. Here's my routine:

Day One:
    1) 2x3Min Rounds Shadow Boxing
    2) 2x3Min Rounds Skipping Rope
    3) 3x10 Burpees
    4) 3x3Min Rounds Heavy Bag--Free Style
    5) 8x30Sec Rounds Heavy Bag--Fast Power Shots
    6) 10x15Sec Rounds Heavy Bag--Punch Outs(Hard Right and Left without stopping)
    7) 50 Sit-ups
    60 Push ups(Varous Hand Placements)

Day Two: Same as the first except I go a little lighter in each exercise. So I have a heavy day then a light day.
    But I am looking forward to doing some regular sparring with some of my coworkers who also like boxing and I could use a little advice from the experienced sparrers in this group.
    I'm a southpaw and will be going against some guys who are orthys but who are a little taller with better reaches and pretty powerfultoo. I figure the best strategy is for me to stay outside of their lead foot, move to my right, jab and jab some more, jab then left cross then right hook to the body then circle out to the right.
    But I am also wondering if it is ever useful for a southpaw like myself to move to my left as long as I can stay outside of his big left cross?

Thx, Great Site

Liberty >

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: New to Sparring

If you're new to sparring good luck If they're half decent they should go easy with you and you should do the same. You go looking to take off their heads and you are likely to get pasted.

general things - keep relaxed & focus. If you tense you will tire very quickly. Don't feel the need to rush. Keep things simple. Keep popping out the jab and move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

most people are lucky when it frist comes to sparring. i train new people to spar fir their first time. i do about 3 rounds with them, the first of which i just duck weave and stop their punches.
    the second and third round ill throw only jabs back at them, every now and again.
    dont be nervous, and remember to breathe in there, ive seen loads of people pass out when the come to spar against me cause their so worried about being hurt they hold their breath.

good luck, and take it easy. remember pain is only temporary!

alex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Missy you say to keep on popping out the jab and move. That makes sense but there are other punches that I want to use especially to use the fact that im a southpaw.
    So what I want to do is

Keep moving to my right and outside of his left foot so he has a harder time getting me with the right cross, then do all of the following as a combo
    1) jab, jab, then
    2) left cross, then
    3) right to the body, then
    4) left hook to the head, then
    5) circle out to my right and move away from any counters that he throws.

What do you all think of that strategy.

What do you all think of my daily training routine

Day One:
    1) 2x3Min Rounds Shadow Boxing
    2) 2x3Min Rounds Skipping Rope
    3) 3x10 Burpees
    4) 3x3Min Rounds Heavy Bag--Free Style
    5) 8x30Sec Rounds Heavy Bag--Fast Power Shots
    6) 10x15Sec Rounds Heavy Bag--Punch Outs(Hard Right and Left without stopping)
    7) 50 Sit-ups
    60 Push ups(Varous Hand Placements)

Day Two: Same as the first except I go a little lighter in each exercise. So I have a heavy day then a light day.
    Is there anything else that anybody thinks that would be useful in my training.

And i'll take some advice too from everyone here on how a southpaw can beat an orthodox fighter.

thx

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Liberty for a beginners routine it looks fine. As you get fitter you should increase the rounds and up the circuits.

I would circle to my right, I like to to catch their jab with my lead hand and shot my jab straight back - not everytime as they'll read it but it keeps them thinking. After you're comfortable throwing the jab start to run through your basic combos, jab, left cross, J-LS Body, J-J-LS, J-Right Head Hook.

Just move after every shot you throw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm 19 and new to boxing, and i'm going to indianapolis in the summer (that's all cool) what I mean is that when i join a boxing club, im going to spar, but i can take the pain, but i got glasses, what should i do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

your gonna have to take them off, or risk having your eyes eroded

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty

Keep moving to my right and outside of his left foot so he has a harder time getting me with the right cross, then do all of the following as a combo
    1) jab, jab, then
    2) left cross, then
    3) right to the body, then
    4) left hook to the head, then
    5) circle out to my right and move away from any counters that he throws.
    it is a good combo, but i shouldn't plan certain combo's, they should come as you go
    if you think to mutch of this certain combo b4 you fight, you'll prob end up doing it or trying it to often, and become easy to catch and counter b4 you finish your combo.

as you "free-style" on the bag, that is how "free-style" you go on your partner.
    since your new to sparring and you will be sparring some who are more advanced and taller than you,
    i would spend a few trainings dedicated to counter punches.

they have bigger reach (and more advanced) so as you come in with your jab to set up your combo.
    the chances a big they wil lay a jab on you b4 you even got them inside your reach.

so you should train on that parry/slip and all and counter and set up a combo as you got him in your reach now.

Â

oh yeah... another thing i see people do when they just start sparring (some even after years of sparring)...
    they concentrade to mutch on them selves, (like in punching the bag that wont hit back)
    they focus to mutch on there punches and combo's and don't see the punches comming at them.
    this is hard to explain but here is a sample of what i mean:

as they come in with a jab, they focus on throwing the next punch. (lets say right hook)
    so the left jab is out there and the right is still in defence. (witch is good) but,
    i parry the L-jab and counter with my L-jab, they got the right hand in defence but it don't react on my punch, since the mind is set on that right hook what he is focusing on.

so alway focus on your oppost and move and react on his moves

hope this helps a little

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is your first time sparring after lots of bag work? Accept one simple fact. You will be very frustrated at your inability to land good punches and that is with him merely moving, not using his defensive abilities or hitting back. This always happens, at least in the dozen years I've trained fighters- didn't pay attention before that. On the bag you can plant your feet and let 'em fly. with a live target you'll find him too far then to close, you'll ee an opportunity and it will seem forever for your punch to get on its way. You'll learn to shorten up your stance and to punch without telegraphing blows by drawing back- all motion goes forward. Use your jab, move around and get acclimated, concentrate on defense... but always with an eye to setting up a particular punch. Remember that sparring in the gym isn't fighting. It is learning and improving your skills.

Thread Information