Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unhappy Pavlik Announces Retirement

Middleweight Champion of the World Kelly Pavlik (33-0, 29 KO's) made a shocking announcement today at Cassese's MVR in Youngstown, Ohio. The champ, speaking in front of a standing room only crowd for a local press conference to announce his title defense against Gary Lockett (30-1, 21 KO's) on June 7th said, "I definitely want to go out with a bang. This is probably going to be my last fight. I know I said I wanted to defend my title numerous times, but you have to do what you have to do and I think I'm going to go into retirement after this fight." When asked why he's making the choice to retire, Pavlik playfully added, "Because it's April 1st!"

When the laughter and joking subsided, Pavlik was strictly all business as he broke down Lockett. "Lockett is dangerous. He's got good hand speed, and he's got good punching power. He has a wallup. He also throws short punches and comes straight ahead. He doesn't move side to side."

The fact that the fight is back in Atlantic City, the location where Pavlik won the middleweight title, put a smile on the champ. "I'm superstitious so going back to Atlantic City is awesome." When Pavlik stopped Jermaine Taylor last September, the Boardwalk was entrenched with Youngstown natives that made the Trek to support their favorite son. "I'm hopeful that the turnout will be there again for this fight," Pavlik added.

The fact that Gary Lockett doesn't have the biggest name or the best resume doesn't seem to play a role in how Pavlik is going to prepare for this fight. "It took me 7 years to get a championship. I want to defend it now. When you come into a fight not fully prepared, that is when you are putting your health at risk," Pavlik explained.

Pavlik will be a heavy favorite come June 7th. After all the tough fights under his belt in the last year, Pavlik started to relish being the underdog. "It stinks that I'm not the underdog. I like being the underdog." With Pavlik being not only the World Champion at middleweight, but also the best at middleweight, it's safe to say that Pavlik's days of being in the underdog role are a thing of the past.

When asked how long Pavlik will remain at middleweight, the champ added, "I feel good right now. It depends on my opponents. I'd like the other belts in the division, but Abraham and Sturm fight out of Europe. If the process takes a long time, I'll pass up those fights to move up to super middleweight or light heavyweight." Pavlik also talked about his health. "As long as I can make the weight comfortably, without risking my health, I'll stay at 160."

Another name that was thrown out as a possible future opponent for Pavlik was former Jr. Middleweight Champion Winky Wright. "We called out Winky Wright two or three hundred times. Now that he can't get the big fights and he's been losing his fights, he wants to fight me all of a sudden. He's a guy I'd love to smack around a little bit."

Once Pavlik decides to move onto the bigger divisions, the name that was talked about was Joe Calzaghe, who's father and trainer, Enzo Calzaghe, just so happens to be the trainer of Lockett. "I'd love to fight Joe Calzaghe. He's got a big fight with Hopkins that he has to worry about. That's a big name and everyone knows I'll fight whoever they (Top Rank) put in front of me.

Kelly Pavlik stayed cool and collective during the entire press conference. He still remains to have the same focus and humbleness as he had when he was a rising contender. He stayed afterward and signed autograph after autograph, not turning anyone down. It takes a special mind to keep things into perspective, and Pavlik appears to have the goods, not only physically, but mentally as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Pavlik Announces Retirement

Damn saying he wants to smack Winky around. I like Pavlik, but that humbleness that he is so regarded for is slipping away.

Stay away from Calzaghe, he will make you look stupid in there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw View Post
    Damn saying he wants to smack Winky around. I like Pavlik, but that humbleness that he is so regarded for is slipping away.

Winky has great defense but Pavlik doesn't stop putting the pressure on. Winky could sit there and block all day but he won't find the time to throw his jab in there when Kelly is punching him for 12 full rounds.

Calzaghe vs Pavlik would be a good one IF Pavlik has a couple tune-up fights first to see if he's comfortable at the weight. I wouldn't want to move up in weight and have my first fight be against Calzaghe.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pavlik could be the one to wipe Winky out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: Pavlik Announces Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    He could. His last three ko's would be enough for most vets to retire. The Zertuche one especially.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He didnt used to slight the other fighters before fights. Mostly keep his talk to gameplan and would give the other guys credit somehow. Now he seems to have gotten a bit cocky, not alot, just I notice a little difference, he has more confidence? Too much of anything can be bad, even confidence.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southakron314 View Post
    He could. His last three ko's would be enough for most vets to retire. The Zertuche one especially.
    I think it's a given that after that fight Zeretuche could never be the same again!
    Quote Originally Posted by No Contest View Post

He didnt used to slight the other fighters before fights. Mostly keep his talk to gameplan and would give the other guys credit somehow. Now he seems to have gotten a bit cocky, not alot, just I notice a little difference, he has more confidence? Too much of anything can be bad, even confidence.
    I don't think that Pavlik meant it to be in any way derogatory or arrogant.
    He's a young champion, he's been building himself up with very little recognition over the past number of years and a soon as he hit the big time he has all of these people clling him out. He's not accustomed to the media attention and he's expressing his frustration at being insulted and his belief in the ability he has against any of the fightewrs that are talking.
    Winky Wright in particular has been goading Pavlik and I feel this has annoyed Kelly somewhat and it came out as quoted above.

ICB Guest

He could if he goes to the body but if he goes head hunting all night which he has done in the past then he will have big problems.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    He could if he goes to the body but if he goes head hunting all night which he has done in the past then he will have big problems.
    I see it to the contrary.
    Pavlik is a lot taller than Winky, going to the body would mean sacrificing a lot of his power and also his height and reach advantages.

Pavlik's straight right is his favourite puch, Winky being a southpaw is succeptible to this.

ICB Guest

Pavlik is a lot taller than Winky, going to the body would mean sacrificing a lot of his power and also his height and reach advantages.

Pavlik's straight right is his favourite puch, Winky being a southpaw is succeptible to this.
    Vargas had great success going to the body, i don't mean strictly go to the body i mean mix it up to the body and head. And yes Southpaw's biggest weakness is the straight right hand, but Wright is an excellent defensive fighter and Pavlik won't find it easy landing his punches, i can see him punching through Wright's guard though like Taylor did a few times.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Vargas had great success going to the body, i don't mean strictly go to the body i mean mix it up to the body and head. And yes Southpaw's biggest weakness is the straight right hand, but Wright is an excellent defensive fighter and Pavlik won't find it easy landing his punches, i can see him punching through Wright's guard though like Taylor did a few times.
    Vargas was not of an equivalent build to Pavlik.
    When an exceptionally tall fighter boxes a shorter fighter he will always use his reach in an attempt to keep the shorter man out.
    The reasoning has a dual logic.
    The first reason is that the shorter man will be more able to land on the inside.
    The second is that the taller man will not be able to apply his power correctly against a shorter fighter as his leverage is muffled so to speak.

Winky is hot on defence, but Pavlik possesses the type of punch which can hurt you through the guard, can bruise forearms and damage muscles when hit flush.
    Pavlik enjoys a lot of advantages in this fight and Winky has the odds stacked against him should this occur.

Thread Information