Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Saddo's Supplement Dictionary;

Hey Spicoli, I take 1.8 grams of Arginine every morning with Taurine. I've had no problems with it. Arginine is an amino acid and one of the most researched supplements on the market. I've also tried Ginseng pills before, and I didn't notice a difference while taking it.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    BCAA's

(Branched Chain Amino Acids)

Definition and Science:

Amino acids are the chemical units, or “building blocks” that make up human muscle tissue. Protein quality is measured by the amount of the specific amino’s within it.

The 22 amino acids are the molecular building blocks of proteins. 9 are referred to as essential, meaning that they must be supplied from some food or supplement source, and the others, which are known as non-essential, or more correctly, dispensable or conditionally indispensable, are based on the body's ability to synthesize them from other amino acids.

L-leucine, L-isoleucine and L-valine are the most important group of amino acids for athletes. Around 33% of muscle protein consists of BCAA’s. Even moderate exercise causes levels of BCAA’s to drop rapidly which results in muscle tissue breakdown (catabolism), fatigue, and a drop in testosterone levels.

Benefits to you:

Amino acids are essential to the human body and athletes can especially benefit from supplementing amino acids because they aid in repair, growth, and development of muscle tissue. The body, through assimilation of amino acids, produces over 50,000 proteins and over 15,000 enzymes. Amino acids are not only responsible for the production of all the body's enzymes (including digestive enzymes), but they also play a key role in normalizing moods, concentration, aggression, attention, sleep, and sex drive. After protein is consumed, it is broken down into amino acids. Then, individual amino acids are used to create necessary body proteins and enzymes. Digestive enzymes break down the proteins a person consumes into amino acids.

The benefits are broken down below....

Maximizes lean muscle growth

Optimises post-workout recovery

Maintenance of cells

Maintenance of tissues

Helps avoid muscle degeneration

When To Take:

Personally the best time to take BCAA's are basically anytime your body is in a catabolic state. This is mainly first thing on a morning when you've fasted for around 8 hours. Also immediately after training when your body is in a very catabolic state. Basically comsuming BCAA's at this time changes your body's state from a state of catabalism to a state of anabalism.

Why Not Use Just Whey?:

The simple answer is....BCAA's are readily broken down (from protein molecules) so they can be absorbed into the bloodtsream immediately.

Dosage:

Only around 3-5grams are required per serving. In capsule form this translates to between 6-10 capsules. Personally i like mega dose BCAA's.

Final Thoughts:

I'd say BCAA's are a must for any athlete. They are very cheap (around £15 for 500 capsules). They prevent muscle breakdown which is basically your main goal when wanting to build lean muscle. Other protein based foods and supplements do this aswell but they need to be broken down first so your body would spend more time in a catabolic state (which is bad). Below i've explained (basically) the process of protein digestion. Hopefully this will give you a clear view of why BCAA's are important.....

When consumed, protein takes the form of very complex molecules arranged in chains of amino acids. So the bonds binding these complex molecules together must first be broken down. This digestive process begins in the stomach (unlike starch, which begins in the mouth), where hydrochloric acid attacks the protein molecules separating them and breaking them down into amino acids. Once this has happened the gastric enzyme pepsin starts to digest the amino acids.

BCCA's bypass the initial digestion stage which enables muscle repair to begin much quicker than it would do without supplementation.
    What kind of examples would you recommend?

I currently use whey protein, I have some every day regardless of what training I'm doing, Creatine & Glutamine when I have fairly intense training sessions & Arginine on the occasions when I'm lifting.

Is this the kind of thing that could help when I have to cut weight before a fight?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

nice threads, thanks for the info guys. I've heard good and bad things about supplements, but are they the real deal or just a temporary fix? - and ultimately not that healthy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I need to start taking BCAA's. Right now I'm thinking of trying out colloidal supplements. I just checked out the site. Has anybody here tried them out? I wanted to hear some first hand experiences before order.
    Last edited by amiller; 08-12-2011 at 07:36 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi guys get very confused with all these different supplements and wot they actually do.not boxed for a couple ov years but been back training hard and looking to compete again next year.still need to cut some weight 3+4 kg.wot would any ov u guys recommend supplement wise?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Beta-Alanine

Definition and Science

Beta-Alanine is a non-essential amino acid and is the only naturally occurring beta-amino acid. Not to be confused with regular alanine, beta- alanine is classified as a non-proteinogenic amino acid, as it is not believed to be used in the building of proteins.

The greatest natural dietary sources of beta-alanine are believed to be obtained through ingesting the beta-alanine containing dipeptides: carnosine, anserine and balenine, rather than directly ingesting beta-alanine. These dipeptides are found in protein rich foods such as chicken, beef, pork and fish. It is predominantly through ingesting the dipeptide carnosine that we ingest most of our beta-alanine, as the two other dipeptides are not found nearly as plentiful in our typical coniferous diet. However, obtaining beta-alanine through these dipeptides is not the only way, as our bodies can synthesize it in the liver from the catabolism of pyrimidine nucleotides which are broken down into uracil and thymine and then metabolized into beta-alanine and B-aminoisobutyrate. Of course, it can also be ingested through direct supplementation which is the focus of this article.

Typically, studies have used supplementing strategies of multiple doses of 400 mg or 800 mg, administered at regular intervals for up to eight hours, over periods ranging from 4 to 10 weeks.
    After a 10-week supplementing strategy, the reported increase in intramuscular carnosine content was an average of 80.1% (range 18 to 205%).
    A study conducted at Adams State College, Alamosa, Colorado, compared the effects of β-alanine to a placebo group in two sports: wrestling and American football. The subjects taking β-alanine achieved more desirable results on all tests compared to placebo. The wrestlers, both placebo and supplement lost weight; however, the supplement group increased lean mass by 1.1 lb., while the placebo group lost lean mass (-0.98 lb). Both American football groups gained weight; however, the supplement group gained an average 2.1 lb lean mass compared to 1.1 lb for placebo.

Benefits of taking Beta Alanine

Increase Muscular Strength & Power Output.
    Increases Muscle Mass
    Increase Anaerobic Endurance
    Increases Aerobic Endurance
    Delay Muscular Fatigue- Train Harder & Longer

Side effects

Skin that feels itchy/ tingles.
    Some people have reported heart palpitations

Personal Thoughts

In the past whilst training, i have taken AST Sports Science Beta X. Which is Beta Alanine. I had been training for along time. I was already taking AST Sports Science VP2 Whey isolate protein. Which had given me gains. I got to a point where i had plateaued. So i started taking Beta X and the Whey protein together. The Beta X did give me quick lean muscle gains. Within two weeks. However i did get the dreaded tingles. I bared the tingles for aslong as i could. Then i stopped taking Beta X.

So this supplement works and works well. It's well recieved in the sporting world backed up by independent sciencetific research.

Its upto you to try it and see if you get the gains and to see if you get any side effects or not. I know i will be trying it again.
    Muhammad Ali K.O by Henry Cooper in round 5 in 1963. Ali weighted 204 lbs to Henry Coopers 185.5 lb
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does anybody have any knowledge of this product?

BOXERS CHOICE: THE FIRST EVER BOXER SPECIFIC PRE-WORKOUT DRINK || FIGHTHYPE

Good - Bad - Legal??
    You are the Creator of all that is, all that was, and all there ever will be.....

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

'Boxer specific'? lol...
    No.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGB View Post
    'Boxer specific'? lol...
    No.
    I totally agree.. How much of a market strategy is that?!?!?! Way over the top!!
    You are the Creator of all that is, all that was, and all there ever will be.....

Thread Information