Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Can anyone help out with this?

Hi, I'm a new member to the forums, but have been a long time reader of the site and of the posts. Always been very helpful. Recently i've been frustrated by a minor, dull, jammed sensation in my right hip. For a while i thought it was due to improper recovery. Meaning, after throwing a straight right and following with a left hook, i felt the sensation in my right hip and figured it was from over-torquing. When i tightened up my form and recovered my right back to guard more succinctly before throwing out the left hook the pain subsided. I figured that since that hook was coming to soon (or before my body was back in neutral stance) it was "yanking" my right hip too hard and causing that pain. Now after about a week of no pain - it's come back. My suspicion is that i'm over exaggerating the rotation of my feet (when initiating strikes) and putting too much torque on my hips. Has anybody dealt with this? Any comments would be extremely helpful as aside from this frustration my training has been coming along nicely. Thanks...

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can anyone help out with this?

For certain not sure what it is, but it seems obvious its bad preperation. Theres no mention of working or stretching your flexours which should have time spent on stretch.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey, ya, i should mention also that i'm 25, 5' 9.5", 245 lbs. I'm not training in a gym so there is the obvious fact that without a coach or trainer it'll be harder to remedy bad habbits and what-not. I have a bit of a background in chinese/japanese martial arts, but have been practicing everything i can with regard to western boxing for a little over a year and a half. I've got a heavy bag, reflex bag, slip bag, and plenty of room to shadow box. I'm set on getting up with a coach or trainer by the end of the year as my conditioning tightens up and i realize a few goals first. I'm quite flexible in the hip area, and do stretch out and rotate my hips and pelvis area for about 10 minutes or so, prior to any real working out. It's kind of a mystery. Like i said my suspicion is that i'm over emphasizing the rotation of my feet when initiating a strike. Hopefully that fills in some blanks and thanks for taking the time to respond. All the help is appreciated. Respect ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would find a good chiropractor and see them... If it's a pain that is worry you enough to be posting about, and it doesn't go away for a couple of weeks, you should get it checked out.. Any back/torso injuries are worth getting looked at.. They may need to take an x-ray or something.

Alternatively you could see a physio. Try to find one that has specialized in sports and they should be able to give you exercises to help it recover..
    It's a strange one to get from throwing punches..

Just rest it a little I guess.. If it doesn't get better, or seems to happen every now and then when your doing that specific movement, then i'd say it's definetly a problem in your back that is off balance, down your spine between your mid back and tailbone,,, and any twisting of that area in the wrong way could give you pains just about anywhere.. Hips particularly... A few cracks of the back and a bit of manipulation and you'll be ready for anything
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for all the help. It's great to get this feedback. I've got a few connections in various medical fields (including a chriopacter) that i'll tap to see if they can help if the pain returns after a little rest and a slightly adjusted approach.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I'm just curious.
    Have you ever injured that are before.
    (Including your leg, lower abdomen?)

If you had a previous muscular or skeletal injury it could have caused your balance to alter, placing additional strain on that hip, perhaps damaging the cartilage at the joint of leg and hip.

Strenuous sports could also result in this. If you've ran distance before or competed in soccer, football etc, it's easy to injure these areas or simply wear them down.

Also excessive weight can cause cartilage to wear down.
    aT 245 and 5'9" I assume your reither very muscualr or somewhat ovwerweight. This could result in extra wear on cartilage or the loss of synovial fluid.

Perhaps you could take some fish oils

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've never injured this area before and the only strenuous activity it's bore was years ago while i was training in a northern shaolin style of kung fu... Lot's of kicking. I'm definitely a bit over-weight, but i've got broad shoulders and a thick trunk/legs. So while i don't think i come across as fat, or restrictively heavy, i def am invested in shedding about 20 - 30 more lbs. So far i've already lost 10 with a new workout/nutrition program and as the weight ticks off, i'm curious to see how much that is effecting me with this hip issue too. I actually just got some ink work done on my arm and won't be able to shadow box or work on the heavy bag for a few days, so i'll take advantage of the opportunity and rest my hips during that time. Later in the week, when i can get back to the bag, i'll try to be more conscious of my weight transfer during combos and see what i can see. Thanks for all the attention... Means a lot to me; i hate it when there is a hangup in my training. Peace ~

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by EyesOpen View Post
    I've never injured this area before and the only strenuous activity it's bore was years ago while i was training in a northern shaolin style of kung fu... Lot's of kicking. I'm definitely a bit over-weight, but i've got broad shoulders and a thick trunk/legs. So while i don't think i come across as fat, or restrictively heavy, i def am invested in shedding about 20 - 30 more lbs. So far i've already lost 10 with a new workout/nutrition program and as the weight ticks off, i'm curious to see how much that is effecting me with this hip issue too. I actually just got some ink work done on my arm and won't be able to shadow box or work on the heavy bag for a few days, so i'll take advantage of the opportunity and rest my hips during that time. Later in the week, when i can get back to the bag, i'll try to be more conscious of my weight transfer during combos and see what i can see. Thanks for all the attention... Means a lot to me; i hate it when there is a hangup in my training. Peace ~
    Ok man, take care and be safe in you training, sounds like you have a passion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[/quote]
    Ok man, take care and be safe in you training, sounds like you have a passion![/quote]

Thanks very much. Best ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey all, after taking a few days off to let my ink work heal, combined with a trip to new orleans (amazing city) i feel that i gave my hip a nice rest. Training again, i've focused my energies on maintaining good form and simply am trying to avoid thinking too much about that creaky hip. It seems to be going well so far. I wanted to thank you for your responses; in part, hearing that nobody else was familiar or similarly struggling with this issue was an indication to me that i may have just overblown it. So, we'll see how it goes, so far so good... I'll be reading posts as usual and chiming in here and there when i've got something to ask or to say. I have to say, i was apprehensive to reach out, but i felt that the responses were kind, helpful, and timely. Good looking, peoples. Best to you all~ i hope you all enjoy strong and progressive training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

An hour in hot tub with epsom salt.

Thread Information