Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Nigel Benn v G-MAN

This fight is a WAR as we are all aware , at the time i pick G-man to win inside 1 round , as i couldnt see Benn's chin holding up.
    I watch the fight again last night and i was shocked at how bad the French Ref was. I knew he was poor ( long count and all ) but he was a disgrace. Constantly pushing the fighters apart and being very fussy , he could have even spoiled a great fight like MAB V Morales with this picky style.
    I slike to hear your views on this guys , also id like ( especially the none Brits ) to rank Nigel Benn as to how good he was , and who in modern history hes on a par with ?

I also find it sad that what should be talked about as Benn's best wins , cant be because of the tragic injuries Gerald suffered. Both men were warriors that night.
    Look forward to hearing your veiws.
    Last edited by Dark Lord Al; 04-09-2008 at 07:20 AM.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Nigel Benn v G-MAN

If it wasn't for the ref Benn wouldn't have made it out the first round. The ref was a joke. He was clearly helping Benn by giving him time to recover. Even the ShowTime crew was complaining. It was a disgrace.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The ref was poor.

G-Man was a martyr for boxing that night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here in the states we call it home field advantage

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was at the fight, and I must admit that I didn't notice the ref doing anything wrong at the time (but when I saw it on tape afterwards, he did give him extra time to recover .... but that is the strory in boxing ..... Gene Tunney and Buster Douglas to name but two)

The fight was an absolute war and benn was even more like a maniac than usual. I am not sure that anyone would have stopped him that night. G-Man was moving up a weight for the first time and I think that counted against him.

G-Man's long, fast punches against Benn's marauding swarming style .... both HUGE punchers.

The crowd was fuelled up by booze, there were loads of fights in the crowd before and during the boxing. I took my younger brother to this fight.

I'm ashamed to say the crowd were booing at the end as they thought McClellan had quit (he had taken bigger more monster shots than the final ones) and he was counted out on one knee making no attempt to rise.

Little did we realise that parts of his brain were dying in front of our eyes.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The crazy thing was, when McClellan took the knee (1st and second time.) he actually wasn't caught.
    Watching the slow mo's the worst he was caught with wasa grazing hook. The big shots all missed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X View Post
    I was at the fight, and I must admit that I didn't notice the ref doing anything wrong at the time (but when I saw it on tape afterwards, he did give him extra time to recover .... but that is the strory in boxing ..... Gene Tunney and Buster Douglas to name but two)

The fight was an absolute war and benn was even more like a maniac than usual. I am not sure that anyone would have stopped him that night. G-Man was moving up a weight for the first time and I think that counted against him.

G-Man's long, fast punches against Benn's marauding swarming style .... both HUGE punchers.

The crowd was fuelled up by booze, there were loads of fights in the crowd before and during the boxing. I took my younger brother to this fight.

I'm ashamed to say the crowd were booing at the end as they thought McClellan had quit (he had taken bigger more monster shots than the final ones) and he was counted out on one knee making no attempt to rise.

Little did we realise that parts of his brain were dying in front of our eyes.
    So did Showtime and Don King. I have the fight on my Mac with the American commentary and they initially thought he had quit.
    I also watched the fight live on TV in England and me, my dad, friends and the commentary team all thought he had quit.
    The only thing that we really hinted at the problems were Mclellan`s constant blinking and pushing out his gumshield during the latter rounds.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Out of interest pre fight, I was told just before he came to England McClellan had been badly KOd in sparring by Montell Griffin heard it from a very good sauce, makes you think.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

any youtube footage? i hate watching the wack showtime snippets of just the outcome of the fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    If it wasn't for the ref Benn wouldn't have made it out the first round. The ref was a joke. He was clearly helping Benn by giving him time to recover. Even the ShowTime crew was complaining.It was a disgrace.
    True. That commentary was one of the worst in history. "The Fight Doctor" was a disgrace!
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Out of interest pre fight, I was told just before he came to England McClellan had been badly KOd in sparring by Montell Griffin heard it from a very good sauce, makes you think.
    What did they say Griffin hit him with scrap?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The ref was a disgrace, no doubt, but in terms of letting Benn have extra time to get back into th ring, isn't there a rule stating that extra time is allowed if this happens?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes the "long count" How many times?

A fighter knocked out of the ring has 20 seconds to get back in under the WBC rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the ref was somewhat fussy but that didn't stop what was a unbeleaveable fight. i have this fight at home but dont watch it that often because of the sad outcome, no matter what this was a battle between two great warriors

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This was an epic enveloped In tragedy.It wrecked both,McClellan much more physically and mentally.The accumulative damage was telling and severe.The craziness with the 20 second count was intense,have seen it a few times with Rahman Vs. Z.Lawrence and Antwon Echols Vs.Brian Barbosa.I have literally lost some very good Friends/fans arguing on this one as Benn was basically cast as a villian...."He head butted,He had a long count,He celebrated rudely on ring post as Gerald layed in ring" etc.etc.Oddly at the time Any defense or pointing out Particular fight points....did feel abit unsettling.Simply...Courageous fighters,great men.

Thread Information