Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now...Who are the most boxers feared of all time.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Now...Who are the most boxers feared of all time.

I would go for heavy weights I would have to go with three. Ali is my first pick. The man could control you even with his back agianst the ropes. He had cast iron chin and had good power. Mike Tyson of the 1980's. Tyson came to the ring robeless ready to fight and destroyed almost everyone he touched for a five year period. Ernie Shavers. The hardest hitting heavy weight of all time. Tex Cobb said "Ernie will hit you so hard he could hit you in the neck and break your ankle"Ali said"Ernie hit me so hard he shook my kin folk back in Africa.

I also would say Hagler because of all of his intangibles. He could hit and he hit and he could box. Cotto will go down is this category as well as Pavlik. I think Hearns was a good one with his one punch power. Ray Mancini I don't need to mention why I think everyone knows.Jake La Matta with his solid chin and never quit attitude. I could keep going with the Sugar Ray Robinsons and the Harry Grebs but I don't want to bore you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Now...Who are the most boxers feared of all time.

Archie Moore - most knockouts of any boxer - 145 KO's,ect,ect ,ect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southakron314 View Post
    Archie Moore - most knockouts of any boxer - 145 KO's,ect,ect ,ect
    Marciano kick his ass though. Dropped him five times.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Regardless of how his career ended or is planning a come back...during his prime Mike Tyson was feared. The boxers that went in the ring with him that pop on the top of my head is Bruce Seldon and Michael Spinks. I don't remember other boxers being as intimidated. I would have to look at Tyson's resume to remember others that were peeing their pants as soon as they saw Iron Mike to his eyes right before the fight.

El Kabong Guest

George Foreman
    Earnie Shavers
    Mike Tyson
    Marvin Hagler
    Tommy Hearns (especially after the Duran fight...WOW! #1 He lifted Duran off the canvas with an uppercut and #2 that KO sounded like a damn shotgun blast)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't recall his name, but the guy nobody, including Ray Robinson would fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    George Foreman
    Earnie Shavers
    Mike Tyson
    Marvin Hagler
    Tommy Hearns (especially after the Duran fight...WOW! #1 He lifted Duran off the canvas with an uppercut and #2 that KO sounded like a damn shotgun blast)
    George Foreman is a good pick. He must have scared the shit outta everyone with that destruction of Frazier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southakron314 View Post
    I would go for heavy weights I would have to go with three. Ali is my first pick. The man could control you even with his back agianst the ropes. He had cast iron chin and had good power. Mike Tyson of the 1980's. Tyson came to the ring robeless ready to fight and destroyed almost everyone he touched for a five year period. Ernie Shavers. The hardest hitting heavy weight of all time. Tex Cobb said "Ernie will hit you so hard he could hit you in the neck and break your ankle"Ali said"Ernie hit me so hard he shook my kin folk back in Africa.

I also would say Hagler because of all of his intangibles. He could hit and he hit and he could box. Cotto will go down is this category as well as Pavlik. I think Hearns was a good one with his one punch power. Ray Mancini I don't need to mention why I think everyone knows.Jake La Matta with his solid chin and never quit attitude. I could keep going with the Sugar Ray Robinsons and the Harry Grebs but I don't want to bore you.

You said most feared...Ali was really not feared... every top HW was in line begging to fight him...Foreman was feared...Ali was great and his opponents knew what they were getting into but but there is a difference....

As far as HWTS go Feared was..

Jack Johnson, Jack Dempsey, Sonny Liston, Foreman, Tyson...

Even Marciano as tough as he was and as many guys as he put on the canvas was not feared...Guys I mentioned above are guys even for the chance at a world title many thought twice...

Other fighters throughout the years were

Duran especially at LW, Hearns, Pryor, LaMotta, James Toney,
    Jones, Hagler, to name a few of the more known names that were greatly feared in their primes
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't really talk about the likes of Moore and Foreman, as they were at their peaks way before I got into boxing. I think that you can only appreciate how a fighter was feared if you were a boxing fan during their primes. For me, Tyson is the most feared I've seen. He electrified the heavyweight division with a mixture of power, skill and, just as importantly, intimidation. Sometimes he had won the fight without throwing a punch. You can see how much fear played a part in Tyson's career if you consider what he was like after Douglas and, more importantly, Holyfield beat him. Some people will mention psychological problems, a poor attitude towards training and his stint in prison to explain Tyson's fall, but I think losing the ability to intimidate his opponents took a hell of a lot away from him.

El Kabong Guest

Allow me to help you out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kvBmlucg_8

There is all of that to look at but also realize this, George Foreman had been boxing only for 1 year when he won GOLD in Mexico City....Mike Tyson had been boxing since he was like 12 and he didn't even get to the Olympics! And for a POWER PUNCHER to win Gold at the Olympics is a feat in itself.

But look at him, HUGE menacing, bad attitude when he was young....he would have psychologically destroyed Mike Tyson and then physically destroyed him at any point in his career

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for the film - I must get one of those grills. Foreman does seem really impressive, but that is the point, he 'seems'. There is little sense of the fear that he instilled because it is history and, unfortunately, I will never experience the atmosphere that he created around himself. As for Foreman destroying Tyson, if Foreman fought like he does in the film Tyson would kill him. His hands are too low, and he is way too wild. People forget that Tyson was decent defensively, so I think he would cover up and hit Foreman with sharp counters. In terms of physical size, yes Foreman was impressive, but that's where Tyson can also be lauded. In his prime he weighed less than most of his opponents, and still dealt with them. Foreman v Tyson - I would lean towards Tyson, but I think that's just a generation thing. Nobody really knows, but it I'm sure it would have been an incredible fight. Once again, thanks for the film.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I found Pryor had an insane look. His opponents must have been freaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Allow me to help you out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kvBmlucg_8

There is all of that to look at but also realize this, George Foreman had been boxing only for 1 year when he won GOLD in Mexico City....Mike Tyson had been boxing since he was like 12 and he didn't even get to the Olympics! And for a POWER PUNCHER to win Gold at the Olympics is a feat in itself.

But look at him, HUGE menacing, bad attitude when he was young....he would have psychologically destroyed Mike Tyson and then physically destroyed him at any point in his career
    Agreed...George was an awesome sight to see in his prime...I kow awsome sounds a bit corny but there is really nothing else you can call him...a horrific puncher that made people in attendance turn their head at times involuntarily....His attitude was just as bad or even worse then Tysons...He would have beaten Tyson at the first staredown then like Lyle said again in the ring....
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

El Kabong Guest

Well let's refresh ourselves on the history of what a bad ass George Foreman was and still is.

Ali was unbeatable, Joe Frazier outworked him and beat him so therefore Frazier the undefeated undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the world and being so FRAZIER was now unbeatable but Joe was nice infront of the cameras, he smiled, he was pleasant he was a good guy.

George Foreman came up as a sparring partner for Sonny Liston. Foreman learned everything from him, menace, how to punch super hard, and attitude. Foreman rolled through the division, fought the "Unbeatable" Frazier and DEMOLISHED him...Frazier got the crap beat out of him in 2 rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpEuGaRp9l8

That's the Joe Frazier that beat Muhamed Ali and let me tell you he was a much better fighter than Mike Tyson. Anytime Tyson met another bully or someone who would stand up to him Tyson lost!

And Foreman went the distance with Holyfield and damn near beat him....he hit him harder than Tyson ever did!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How do you know? I think that you are underestimating Tyson a little, and don't forget, we're talking about the most feared fighter, not the best. Think about what Tyson did to Spinks (admittedly past it but super experienced). Can you show me anyone of that experience that Foreman intimidated as much?

Thread Information