Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Colin Jones

He is working with the Welsh ABA was talking with him today, Great guy and at Fifty looks Fantastic for his age.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Colin Jones

He had some good fights in his career. What fight was it where the ref stopped him and he burst into tears? That was real theatre.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donald Curry, Ive often wondered what would have happened if for the cut. I know he was coming 2nd but he wasnt distressed in any way plus he always was a slow starter.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's it. I remember watching it on ITV but only noticed the bit where he started crying when I watched it years later. Maybe ITV didn't show it originally.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Colin Jones was a top top fighter and a credit to British boxing , his 2 fights with Kirkland Laing were classics. some of the best ever in British boxing history.
    Thanks for the memories Colin.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Gravedigger from Gorseinon was one of the roughest toughest fighters to come out of Britain - I remember his giving Milton McCrory hell over their two fights and he was really unlucky to not get the nod and become a world champ.

He was doubly unfortunate to come up against Don Curry (who I really rate) when he was at his peak, and he got sliced and diced much like Minter did against Hagler.

Colin never managed to make Curry move his feet, which was the key to beating Curry - if you let him plant his feet and stand in front of you, he could pull the trigger faster than you and he would beat you up. Every time his opponent kept him unbalanced, he could not get his rhythm or leverage and he lost.

Glad to hear Colin's doing OK though!
    Last edited by X; 04-13-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: shit typing first time around
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Colin is a true Welsh Boxing Legend. He fought with heart and soul and had plenty of power.

Pity there aren't more of his fights about on the net.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I remember him fighting Curtis Ramsey in Cardiff hitting him Borderline and getting Disq in the third, by the welsh Ref unbelieveable..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Colin Jones

Got to be one of the best Brits to have never won a world title....And it sure wasn't for the lack of ANY qualities, just that lady luck was always out a town when Colin could have done with a smile from her...

He never gave less than everything he had, sometimes even raiding the piggy bank to get extra...like his two Brit classics with Kirkland Lang, who was no pushover for anyone in the world at that time, even out boxing Colin for most of the 18 rounds they fought...

But as I recall, getting caught out by Colin's dogged determination and will to win on both occasions, getting stopped both times in the 9th round....Brilliant boxing drama at the time most...though certainly for the Bits...

Then to come within a heartbeat of his world title dream against Milt "The Stilt" McRory on both of the occasions when they met ...both here in Britain and then across the pond, one which he would have taken too but for the flash knock down early on..I remember him kinda smiling as he got up from it, sadly that flash knockdown cost him his dream...

He was certainly more than worthy of his third title shot back in a day when the belts and there names really meant something, and only the real cream of the crop of the worlds weight divisions ever had the honor of making the big stage and fighting for world titles....

I cried with him that night he fought Curry, because I so felt for a man who had given us his all during his career, yet here he was, a man breaking down because he didn't reach his dream and knew it was his last chance realistically...Yet what touched me most was the thoughts he had that he had let us all down...

That was something Colin never ever did...how could he, he gave to us everything he had in his attempts to get the world title...and it speaks volumes in that he fought himself into the position of his three world title attempts at a time when you couldn't pick or choose an alphabet title to manipulate or play around with,

A credit to all he stood for and Im so pleased to have the memories of his career...loved watching him, and glad to hear that life's good for him..

Hidden Content
    A lot of boxing promoters couldn't match the cheeks of their buttocks. Mickey Duff..

Thread Information