Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Before ANYONE starts on Cortez!

I watched the fight (hopkins/calzaghe) steamed from a Setanta broadcast, and they pointed out at one stage that Joe Cortez barely let Ricky Hatton "work on the inside", but he was letting Hopkins do as he pleased in that fight..
    I want to get a few things straight before anyone starts bring Cortez into it.

1) I do beleive Cortez was a little harsh on stepping in so often with Ricky.
    2) I don't think any ref would have chanced the end result of the Hatton Mayweather fight though.

and
    3) Hatton inside is a lot different to Hopkins inside :

The only way he could have split up Hopkins and Calzaghe early would be to jump in prior to Hopkins grabbing, when they are still throwing punches..
    It's a spit second as Calzaghe comes forward, then immediately hopkins comes forward as well and wraps him up... Followed shortly by Cortez coming in and pulling them apart.. He gave them a second or 2 to split themselves up, then pulled them apart... Perhaps he should have learnt by about round 2 that when Hopkins grabs, they are not going to split themselves up, so he MAY have been able to get in their pretty much as soon as Hopkins ties Calzaghe up,,, but overall, he split them up when he should..

Where one second it's 2 quick punches, the next second it's hopkins grabbing... With Hatton, he worked in and continued punching.. That's where his work is done and makes the most of it... Hopkins immediately ties up.. It's 2 different things, and can't really be compared...

I just don't see how Cortez could have been MORE active with keeping them apart, unless he dived in as he saw Hopkins ABOUT to grab,, in which case, he's interupting a f'n fight... It's tough, as Hopkins is rough with his head when they are holding, but Cortez got in their and seperated them as soon as reasonably possible...

Could have given warnings for the head, but overall, I think he was fair and let Hopkins fight his usual game.

4) I think he was a little over active with Ricky, but did nothing wrong with tonights fight.. And don't think he should take any critisizm by people who want to compare the 2 fights..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Before ANYONE starts on Cortez!

Cortez did a great job tonight. He let them fight. He was right for not taking a point for low blows from joe, as Hopkins was throwing his fair share of them himself. I think he maintained control without influencing the outcome of the fight. Id didnt like him in the PFF-Hatton fight but usually he is one of the best as he showed tonight and in the Diaz-Montano fight recently.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cortez did a good job.

He knew Hopkins was just acting with the low blow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd give him a 4 out of 10. He gave him a full 5 min to recuparate energery for a non-existent low blow and what is more Hopkins tried the same thing again. It took cortez like 10-15 secs to make him turn around and fight after blatently acting as if he was hit on the back of his head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GodofBoxing View Post
    I'd give him a 4 out of 10. He gave him a full 5 min to recuparate energery for a non-existent low blow and what is more Hopkins tried the same thing again. It took cortez like 10-15 secs to make him turn around and fight after blatently acting as if he was hit on the back of his head.
    If a fighter takes a low blow, he is entitled to a full 5 minutes to recuparate if he needs it.... It is generally not up to the ref to decide whether someone is acting or not... He went down, he stayed down, he got up and looked in pain.. The ref in the meaning of safety, should asume his nut got squashed by the cup or something, and needs the recovery time...
    I wouldn't say it was a poor job at refereeing... And it was one small part of a whole fight... And it didn't have a huge impact on anything...
    A referee can't know where a fighters balls are in relation to their cup at all times, so he gave Hopkins the benefit... That is fair enough by most people's standards...

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dizaster View Post
    A referee can't know where a fighters balls are in relation to their cup at all times
    It's the "all" that makes this one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time. So when DO they know where the fighters balls are in relation to their cup?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    A referee can't know where a fighters balls are in relation to their cup at all times
    It's the "all" that makes this one of the funniest posts I've read in a long time. So when DO they know where the fighters balls are in relation to their cup?

All good refs should know these things..

I think the location of fighters balls is Jay Nady's speciality

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All good refs should know these things..

I think the location of fighters balls is Jay Nady's speciality
    These are the priceless moments that I actually laugh out loud while on the computer. Thanks, Diz.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When the cup is so tight you can see the outline of the fighter's junk...

aka the Mameltoe.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bcollins View Post

When the cup is so tight you can see the outline of the fighter's junk...

aka the Mameltoe.

This thread may be going to the Hidden Adult Boards pretty soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cortez sucks, he clearly is biased for American fighters. Hopkins threw a million illegal blows tonight, but instead of getting a point deduction or a warning, he gets a free rest so that he could it again. What a disgrace Cortez is. All in all the refereeing tonight was a sham, Joe wouldve KTFod or schooled Nard if not for Cortez acting like Nard's accomplice.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JLAQ View Post
    Cortez sucks, he clearly is biased for American fighters. Hopkins threw a million illegal blows tonight, but instead of getting a point deduction or a warning, he gets a free rest so that he could it again. What a disgrace Cortez is. All in all the refereeing tonight was a sham, Joe wouldve KTFod or schooled Nard if not for Cortez acting like Nard's accomplice.
    Dude remember...Your guy WON,Maybe Cortez could have belted Hopkins withh the stool also?Calzaghe is no daft angel in threre by no means Humility anyone...?

Thread Information