Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! My punching power will not rise!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Help! My punching power will not rise!

I've been working on the heavybag for 3 to 5 rounds once every two nights now for quite a while, but it seems as though my punches aren't getting harder. Are there any other workouts in addition that might help you throw harder punches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Help! My punching power will not rise!

Technique. Remember that all your power comes through the hips..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you have never been to a boxing gym, try changing up your technique and experiment to see if you can add a little punching power that way. Try weights too, they make you punch harder. Plenty of push-ups. And once you develop a good strength foundation, try plyometrics. Maybe we're just different people, but it seems like every once in a while I notice my punching power has gone up. And do plenty of core work too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

in jabs make show you throw hips and shoulder first, then arms. cross think about throwing your entire weight forawr with the punch by pressing off the backfoot.
    always concentrate on throwing full bodyweight into punches

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Try training your mind as well. Imagine your trying to punch the center if the bag. Theres a long wooden vertical poll in the center of your bag and when you punch imagine your hands are as strong as iron and light as a feather. When you punch imagine all your power is going into that fist and trying to break that wooden poll with your iron fist. Hope this helps. A fast car cannot work with a slow driver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TotalFighter
    Try training your mind as well. Imagine your trying to punch the center if the bag. Theres a long wooden vertical poll in the center of your bag and when you punch imagine your hands are as strong as iron and light as a feather. When you punch imagine all your power is going into that fist and trying to break that wooden poll with your iron fist. Hope this helps. A fast car cannot work with a slow driver.
    you speak well gwasshoppa

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

you can't always tell. I only really knew from the feedback I got from sparring partners who told me I was hitting harder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Missy
    you can't always tell. I only really knew from the feedback I got from sparring partners who told me I was hitting harder.
    when you KO your opponent, or remove his lungs with a hard bodyblow you know youe hitting harder......and its time for another partner

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It sounds funny but it works; slow down. Take each punch and exagerrate the weight going from one foot to the other, the pivot of the 'light' foot that turns the hips and shoulders, then the propulsion of the fist, and, finally, how it lands and turning the shoulders all the way through the target. This enables you to establish a mental check list for things like your hands getting ahead of your hips, and so on. You can play with the mechanics- doing on step at speed the rest slo-mo, for example- and gain an appreciation for the role of each step hich often gets overlooked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

use a download program and download some clips or Bruce Lee punching.... you will see how he uses his body to put power into his hits

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by XxEliteHitmanxX
    use a download program and download some clips or Bruce Lee punching.... you will see how he uses his body to put power into his hits
    bruce lee?
    goddam man, bruce was good but he used odd punches. he would punch with a vertical fist, use backfists all the time and sometimes vertical palms. most of his punches came from the hip as he always carried his hands low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

DMD, you said your power is not rising.Well what about your speed and ability to throw more punches?You have to be increasing somewhere.Just cause you hit the heavy bag doesn't mean your gonna gain massive power.I hit the heavybag a few times a week and I get faster and faster and throw a lot of punches.Everybody is different and results will be different for each individual.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you dont think your making gains then change it.

I would really work on technique for however long it takes until I feel like I am doing it PERFECTLY. Chris Eubank did the same. Just make sure you get the jab going correct. If your on the heavybag for endurance purposes, do running instead (or something else to get your heart rate up for an extended period of time) (because unless your hitting properly you can be hurting your technique and getting into bad habits)
    5 foot 4 inches and 154 lbs of PURE MAN

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by alex w
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEliteHitmanxX
    bruce lee?
    goddam man, bruce was good but he used odd punches. he would punch with a vertical fist, use backfists all the time and sometimes vertical palms. most of his punches came from the hip as he always carried his hands low.
    lol the jkd jab.

We did that because, you don't have time to get in to fancy stance if someone swings at you in the street or you need to hit them, you need to throw the punch from by your side, think of the punches hamed used to throw with his hands down but without the pull back or telegraphing or leaping 4ft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

perhaps...
    but ive been in plents of fights, with random nutters and townies etc.
    townies tend to talk you to death before so you definatelly have tome for a stance, wheras nutters are alot harder...
    i still go to that stance near on automatically if somone throws a puch at me

Thread Information