Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default complete novice in need of some advice

At the age of 23 ive finally decided its time to put that gym membership to some real use and potentially get myself into some kind of shape where i could head down to my local TKO club and take the sport up as a hobbie.

My main current issues i have are my weight, lifestyle which involves drinking every other night and the fact ive never so much as had a good go on a punching bag.

Am no more than 5`9 in height and weigh just over 175, id like to say that in itself was due to credible weightroom work but sadly its due to over indulging with my lifestyle and i now have a beer belly that im working overtime to get rid of.

Whats the most advisable form of fitness regime i should be looking to take up in order to have myself in decent enough condition to take up the sport properly??

What weight should i be looking to set my target for??

Can i realistically take up the sport solely as a hobbie and continue to indulge every so often away from the ring??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: complete novice in need of some advice

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    At the age of 23 ive finally decided its time to put that gym membership to some real use and potentially get myself into some kind of shape where i could head down to my local TKO club and take the sport up as a hobbie.

My main current issues i have are my weight, lifestyle which involves drinking every other night and the fact ive never so much as had a good go on a punching bag.

Am no more than 5`9 in height and weigh just over 175, id like to say that in itself was due to credible weightroom work but sadly its due to over indulging with my lifestyle and i now have a beer belly that im working overtime to get rid of.

Whats the most advisable form of fitness regime i should be looking to take up in order to have myself in decent enough condition to take up the sport properly??

Can i realistically take up the sport solely as a hobbie and continue to indulge every so often away from the ring
    ??
    Not sure about this part. Coming from the north east of England, I am well used to the binge drinking lifestyle. But, since I started boxing training, my fitness levels have gone right up and when I drink now my body seems to reject the alcohol and I feel incredibly ill for days. I am not sure if its just me or if this is usual.
    When I lived in England I could quite easily go on the drink on a saturday night until 2 am, have a left over curry for breakfast and play sunday league at 10 30 am and not feel the slightest hangover. If I have about 4 beers the night before training now, I cant go to the gym, so Ive just about packed in the alcohol.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd say go for it and see what happens. Worst case scenario you decide it isn't for you and you spent a few bucks you mighta spent at the bar or on booze anyways. Better scenario you stick to it and start to feel good about yourself condition wise, and end up dropping some of those habits and leading a healthier lifestyle.

In the time I've been involved i've seen more then 1/2 of the people who joined, quitting. Often I see them and they ask me how boxing is going and usually say "Man I wish I stuck to it!" Of the ones that do stay and dedicate themselves as cpcompany says, they tend to end up seeing the rewards and making changes. Either way you're gonna be better off for a bit of conditioning.

Oh, and the best way to get started, is by showing up. It works itself out from there.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 04-26-2008 at 01:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

either you want to learn to box and commit to getting in shape or you don't. You choose. If the answer is yes, then you just go do it. Join. everyone has to start somewhere so it doesn't matter fi you're out of shape and haven't got a clue. nobody will judge you. In fact, they'll help you. If the answer is no, then don't worry about it and enjoy serrosis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

von milash

jeez thats a bit harsh, im guessing your a ben stiller in dodgeball type character eh??

just kidding mate, as said before by taking the sport up i want it to be nothing more than a healthy hobbie that i enjoy and dont ever feel a great commitment too!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

then do it. what's stopping you? You can still enjoy a pint one in a while...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I question the use of boxing to a person adopting it as a get fit strategy.

If getting into shape is your goal, there are much more effective ways as a boxer's training regime relies on the resolve of the person rather than the excercises applied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

Can i realistically take up the sport solely as a hobbie and continue to indulge every so often away from the ring??

IM right along here with you being new to boxing... i drink alot to.... just a tip.. if you drink alot of water befor you go out to drink, you dont get hang overs... and drink hard no beer... thats what iv been doing for years... and it works i still am able to do whatever i got to do as far as sports, and the proof is in my weight, i about 205lbs or 93kg and im very lean.
    O and as a avid weight lifter i will tell you, dont look for a set weight to get to... look for a set Body fat %. cuz i know people that are my weight that look fat. it all depends on how much muscle your packing.. and if you want to loose weight, lift weight. the more muscle you have the more energy(fat) your body will burn. good luck

Thread Information