Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: I am right handed and want to improve my left hook.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I am right handed and want to improve my left hook.

Hi,

I am a 16 year old male and I am 6 foot 1. I am into boxing however I do not go to the gym I do alot of work at home, I have a freind of the family who is an ex-boxer and my dad both help me work out etc. I do alot of work on the Jab / Target Pads I also do weights, punch bag, pull up bar, sit ups, press ups and some running most days. However I cannot seem to get my left hook to improve, I have improved my right hook alot. Is there any tips on how I can improve all my punching skills but mailnly my left hook?

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I am right handed and want to improve my left hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Universalcomplex
    Hi,

I am a 16 year old male and I am 6 foot 1. I am into boxing however I do not go to the gym I do alot of work at home, I have a freind of the family who is an ex-boxer and my dad both help me work out etc. I do alot of work on the Jab / Target Pads I also do weights, punch bag, pull up bar, sit ups, press ups and some running most days. However I cannot seem to get my left hook to improve, I have improved my right hook alot. Is there any tips on how I can improve all my punching skills but mailnly my left hook?

Thank you.
    hit the focus mitts and the heavy bag continually with it.
    work on speedy snap ups with the partner to get it quicker, and power rating to get it harder. try to sink your whole body through it by violently twisting those hips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well...first of all, i dunno if its true or not, but i've read some books written by Bruce Lee, saying that he was against the high impact training such as the heavy bag, first of all because the result from the high impact would only develop bulky muscles and would slow down your speed. second of all, he found that not good especially for boxing beginners, because they don't concentrate on the technique but mostly on the punching power.

i'd say you're on of them. well i'm a beginner aswell, but i mostly do shadow boxing for my technique and i can tell you that shadow boxing helps you improve your technique, and good technique will give more power to your punches.
    i also happen to be Stjepan Bozic's personal friend (guy who won the WBA title (dunno his weight)), and he told me that on the beginning he also mostly worked on his technique, and NOT on the punching power.
    he told me that most of the beginners take things the wrong way because they want to improve their punching power and therefore neglect the technique. it takes time in boxing to get proper technique and strong punches.
    muhammad ali was no fancy boxer, it was just.. i would call it "school" technique, but a perfect one and a good stamina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When you throw a left hook, the shoulder follows the hips, they dont move at the same time (I just found that out). And practice perfect technique. Perfect technique will bring speed. Then form and speed will create power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

have it like a hinge on a gate opening and closing..........then pop keep it level.......or u can throw it my way......the Ali way

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MAybe try having your fist vertical and elbow down ,the shoulder and hip movment follows through easier and more naturally that way.
    Your (same side ) leg /foot muscles can follow right up behind the movement for more power too.

IF your square shouldered to the target you can turn your right foots heel in towards the target on imact for added power as well.

I think hooks should be mentally thought of like 'fast snaps' with correct weight and movement backing them up,for speed that is.
    Unlike a swing with movment behind it.
    Hope that makes sence.

Practice them on a floor to ceiling ball or mits.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

technique first, then you can think of speed/power.

While I'm not knocking whoever is teaching you at the moment. I would say try out a couple of gyms, they may spot something your present trainer has missed or explain it in a different way that you understand.

Thread Information