Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Would this work?

Something I tried was whenever walking, I'll throw a punch when I put one foot down, and then throw a punch with the other hand when I put the other foot down. Sometimes I'll throw a right punch when my right foot lands (or left punch when left foot lands). Then I'll switch to throwing a left punch when right foot lands and left punch when right foot lands.

While this probably won't help technique or anything like that, it'll probably boost speed and endurance and help develop the muscles. (It also makes a great warmup).

What do the rest of you on this site think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Would this work?

probably not. you'll just look like an idiot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This would work..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that a lot of it depends on your opponent.

Most boxers are strict about an unwritten rule to never let your feet cross. This can be potential disadvantage to good fighters if they're up against an opponent that doesn't adhere to that idea.

Executed properly taking a short step with your front foot followed by bringing your rear leg to the front can simultaneously get you out of harms way and into a better position to counter an opponent. Alternatively taking a step backwards by bringing your front foot behind of your rear foot can change the distance big time forcing your opponent to readjust.

On a different note, going off of Wing Chun or JDK, the straight blast technique takes advantage of the strict today's orthodox boxers who under no circumstances want to cross their legs when they take a step. Probably better used as a followup to a hard counter this can turn the tables on a surprized opponent.

If you want to somemore interesting stuff on this you should get Andre into this discussion, it's his turf. Strictly SP has a lot to bring to the table, so he might also have something to add.

BTW, check out the "drop shift" in the Imp./Useful posts section, it might give you something more to think about.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 05-07-2008 at 08:21 AM.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pacstraightleft View Post
    This would work..

Haha. He's either acting out a terrible slasher movie or believes that he's a retarded elephant.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris,

That's Nate Quarry doing God knows what to mock Kalib Starnes in a recent UFC. Starnes wouldn't engage so Quarry was doing all kinds of crap trying to embarrass the guy. Basically, Starnes has had enough of being a fighter and that was probably his last career fight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Von Milash View Post
    Chris,

That's Nate Quarry doing God knows what to mock Kalib Starnes in a recent UFC. Starnes wouldn't engage so Quarry was doing all kinds of crap trying to embarrass the guy. Basically, Starnes has had enough of being a fighter and that was probably his last career fight.
    And that highlight only shows half the embarassment!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks for clearing that up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nagel View Post

BTW, check out the "drop shift" in the Imp./Useful posts section, it might give you something more to think about.
    chris, i've read and i've read and i've tried to envision it. But i still dont know what kind of manuever the drop shift is or how its supposed to be performed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm talking about this as something to do as a form of training or exercise, not it an actual fight!!!!!

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Skipping down the street with giant strides while clapping above your head helps alot too. It brightens everyones day up and makes the road a safer place.

Seriously anything helps mate ,so long as your not bored is the main thing so long as your enjoying yourself.

The hardest thing to do is turn up for training, its easy once your there.

Mix up your personal training, swim, skip ,play squash for eye /body reactions or ping pong, weights,run through deep sand ,backwards up hills forwards up hill , chop wood,drag shit around,punching a tennis ball on a string against a wall,heavy bag on long rope on a tree so you have to utilize footwork more,the list is as big as your imagination,
    dont get bored, enjoy.

But make sure you warm up the muscle group you are about to use, so that they get the definate message they are about to be placed under pressure)and stretch gradually and at length and never bounce on a stretch.
    Use everything, enjoy everything.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chris,

So if you were about to fight Nate you back off and run until he does that move and you leg sweep him with an outside right kick when his arms out and his left leg is forward (on every second step) and you land on him and your fight starts.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think that most great fighters had their own creative tendencies when it came to training. Roberto Duran would hit the speed bag with his head to work on slipping. Joe Louis would train for the Schmelling fight by catching flies (he really did). Muhammad Ali would do his roadwork running while also running backwards and forwards while throwing punches. Kostya Tszyu would hit a tennis ball that was attached to an elastic cord that went around his head. There are many more examples, some are methodical some are just irrantional, but fun as can be.

By the way, I came up a fun way to work on accuracy. Whenever you see a spot, or anything for that matter you can simply reach out and touch it with your finger. As you get better you'll start doing it faster, and later on touching it in combinations or while on the move.

I guess this is a good time to reopen the 'Alternate training/techniques' thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Chris,

So if you were about to fight Nate you back off and run until he does that move and you leg sweep him with an outside right kick when his arms out and his left leg is forward (on every second step) and you land on him and your fight starts.
    I haven't seen any leg sweep takedowns in the MMA bouts that I've watched.

I suppose that another way that you can show Nate is to quickly turn your back on him by pivoting on both of his feet and laugh to the crowd to show that you're not scared of his antics. This is risky, but when he tries to capitalize on this you can quickly pivot back towards your opponent and catch him with either a pile driving left or right. Done right and you won't be seeing as much of Dumbo from him.

Thread Information