Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Brits in for a bashing!

Two of the mismatches of the year happen in June, Kelly Pavlik takes on Gary Lockett who although is a strong domestic fighter will surely be totally out of his depth with Pavlik. The other the Alex Arthur takes on Joan Guzman, once again Arthur is a great domestic fighter but Guzman will be head and shoulders about anyone Arthur has fought before and as his chin is a little suspect I doubt either will hear the final bell.

ICB Guest

Default Re: Brits in for a bashing!

Quote Originally Posted by jmbtandy View Post
    Two of the mismatches of the year happen in June, Kelly Pavlik takes on Gary Lockett who although is a strong domestic fighter will surely be totally out of his depth with Pavlik. The other the Alex Arthur takes on Joan Guzman, once again Arthur is a great domestic fighter but Guzman will be head and shoulders about anyone Arthur has fought before and as his chin is a little suspect I doubt either will hear the final bell.
    Lockett gets hit with a lot of right hands which i have saw in the past, so he is in for a beating, And Arthur is exciting but very limited as that showed in his last fight, and against Gomez, i can't see either man lasting the distance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Whats the odds on locket to win...Did the bookies even bother taking bets?
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tins06 View Post
    Don't think it's priced up yet.

Lockett will be a BIG underdog though that's for certain. Maybe he could land a "lucky" one
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

NOT YET, I think possibly would be the biggest upset in boxing history if Lockett pulled it off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Don't think it's priced up yet.

Lockett will be a BIG underdog though that's for certain. Maybe he could land a "lucky" one
    Replace lucky with divine intervention
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah that'll do

whatever it takes

There's been bigger shocks than a Lockett-level fighter beating a Pavlik-level fighter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah that'll do

whatever it takes

There's been bigger shocks than a Lockett-level fighter beating a Pavlik-level fighter
    Really when?, a lot see Douglas beating Tyson as one of the biggest shocks but Tyson was in a nose dive and Buster Douglas held a reasonable record. I know Locketts record is ok but he has never fought anyone, he is a domestic fighter, and lost to poor opposition (Got bashed up) I know he has since got his revenge but come on if Lockett beats Pavlik that surely has to be the biggest upset, apart from maybe Spinks beating Ali

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lockett is gonna have a rough go at it. I have a hard time seeing any path that leads him to victory, would be a pretty reasonable upset if he pulls it off.

Kudos to Guzman, for fighting on enemy soil to defend his title. Not too many strap holders would do that. Must be pretty confident. He's going to make Arthur look really bad.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah that'll do

whatever it takes

Really when?, a lot see Douglas beating Tyson as one of the biggest shocks but Tyson was in a nose dive and Buster Douglas held a reasonable record. I know Locketts record is ok but he has never fought anyone, he is a domestic fighter, and lost to poor opposition (Got bashed up) I know he has since got his revenge but come on if Lockett beats Pavlik that surely has to be the biggest upset, apart from maybe Spinks beating Ali
    I wouldn't rate it alongside the famous upsets of "great" fighters.

I don't think Pavlik is that great. I think he will lose sooner rather than later.. so considering Lockett is experienced, has nothing to lose and possesses a decent whack i wouldn't rate it the biggest shock ever.

(For the record - I do not think Lockett will win. I think Pavlik will KO him.. EARLY )

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Guzman doesn't stop anybody anymore so I guess that will be the question, if he can stop Arthur. I'm not really sure how bad Arthur's chin is, only seen four or five of his fights. Didn't he get hurt pretty bad last time out? Against some guy who's name I can't remember.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah that'll do

whatever it takes

I wouldn't rate it alongside the famous upsets of "great" fighters.

I don't think Pavlik is that great. I think he will lose sooner rather than later.. so considering Lockett is experienced, has nothing to lose and possesses a decent whack i wouldn't rate it the biggest shock ever.

(For the record - I do not think Lockett will win. I think Pavlik will KO him.. EARLY )
    Kelly has worked his way up the chain very quietly and guys who do that tend not to get the recognition they deserve, I don't think he is the best he can certainly be outboxed, I think a Winky Wright, Calzaghe, Hopkins or any of the older Greats Hagler, SRL would have given him all kinds of problems but when it come to standing slugging it out he has to be considered one of the best ever, he stood toe to toe with Miranda, a feat that I am sure not many would fancy, in the first fight Taylor was on a seek and destroy mission and he stood up to that and came back to win, the kid has got a fighters heart, he is unbeaten he has some great wins under his belt, maybe not enough to call him a true great just yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan View Post
    Guzman doesn't stop anybody anymore so I guess that will be the question, if he can stop Arthur. I'm not really sure how bad Arthur's chin is, only seen four or five of his fights. Didn't he get hurt pretty bad last time out? Against some guy who's name I can't remember.
    Michael Gomez (Amir Khan's new Opponent) took him out and really exposed him, Arthur give him his credit desperately fought back and refused to quit, and in his last fight Foster Jr had him down and almost out, how he got through the rest of the fight can only be creditied to the size of his heart as it was a heavy knockdown. Arthur is a brave guy but Guzman will walk through anything he has and when he catches him, he will finish him.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I wouldn't be surprised if Arthur-Guzman gets called off again (can't remember, has a new date been officially announced?).

Frank Warren promoted Guzman a few years back. I don't believe he, and the rest of Team Arthur, could possibly believe they have the beating of Guz

Guzman don't KO anyone anymore but I'll be betting that changes should this fight happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Those are good tune-up fights Pavlik and Guzman.

Thread Information