428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing Myths.

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post
    castillo beat mayweather in their first fight

Unless your gay for lederman it was obviously clear at the time and when watching the fight again and again that mayweather won it by at least 2 clear rounds!!
    I thought Castillo won the fight at the time. And with a later viewing thought Castillo won the fight.

Didn't realise I was gay for Lederman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Unless your gay for lederman it was obviously clear at the time and when watching the fight again and again that mayweather won it by at least 2 clear rounds!!
    I thought Castillo won the fight at the time. And with a later viewing thought Castillo won the fight.

How

Ive scored the fight on endless occasions and the only rounds i could positively say jose won were 5,6 and 12.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed.....On Castillo winning the first fight.Was not in awe of Mayweather applied pressure,Landed more with some nice body work.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How

Ive scored the fight on endless occasions and the only rounds i could positively say jose won were 5,6 and 12.
    So you scored DLH-Mayweather a DRAW, but had Mayweather winning against Castillo the first fight? Some real consistency there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    ODH - PBF was close and deserved to be a SD. Some people even had Oscar winning
    Another myth is how people say that ODLH got completely dominated, punished, stepped on, his ass handed, humiliated, etc. It was far from that. Even boxing critics were surprised with the desicion.

Another boxing myth is that boxing gloves are used to prevent an injury to a boxer's face but in reality the boxing gloves are used to protect the knuckles of the boxers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    5) It was a racist conspiracy that denied Larry Holmes the chance to break Marciano's 49-0 record when he was beaten by Spinks

He beat you twice Larry (TWICE) get over it, and I didn’t even rate Spinks that highly. I think Holmes should be thankful that he was fighting in an era of mediocrity and besides Tyson put him well and truly in his place.

True.
    I think Spinks fairly won the first fight 9-6. The rematch, Holmes won 9-6 on my card.

Holmes had a couple of debatable decisions before that go his way regardless, like the Tim Witherspoon fight and Carl Williams as well.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    ODH - PBF was close and deserved to be a SD. Some people even had Oscar winning
    Another myth is how people say that ODLH got completely dominated, punished, stepped on, his ass handed, humiliated, etc. It was far from that. Even boxing critics were surprised with the desicion.

Another boxing myth is that boxing gloves are used to prevent an injury to a boxer's face but in reality the boxing gloves are used to protect the knuckles of the boxers.
    I wouldn't say ODH was dominated, but he clearly lost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A myth is that the term "Pound for pound" was invented for Sugar Ray Robinson.

It may have been more popularized when he came along, but other guys had been called it before. Tony Canzoneri, Mickey Walker, Bob Fitzsimmons, etc..

I asked this question in the classic forum at ESB and some of the people there helped me out with this topic.

Who was the first fighter to be called the best "pound for pound"? - East Side Boxing Forums

"Fighters and boxers rarely arrive in one human system. Good fighters are rarely good boxers, and good boxers are not always good fighters. The best combination of both trades now around the offing is Mickey Walker, welterweight champion, and the best man, pound for pound, in the business. Mickey can box and Mickey can fight. He has speed, power, skill, the punch and scrappy instinct. He can give and take..." - Oct 28th, 1924, Galveston Daily News

"A year ago they were acclaiming Mickey Walker, then welterweight champion, as the greatest fighter, pound for pound, of all of them, not barring even Jack Dempsey." - July 1st, 1926, AP report from Lima News, Wisconsin Daily Tribune, etc.

"Pound for pound, Kid Chocolate appears to be the best and most attractive fighter in the ring these days." - July 13th, 1930, John Kieran of the NY Times

"There are many who believe that Kid Chocolate, pound for pound, is the best fighter in the ring today." - Aug 7th, 1930, John Kieran of the NY Times

"The venerable adage that a good big man can beat a good little man will be put to the test once more when Jimmy McLarnin, conceded to be the uncrowned welterweight champion and the best fighter in the game, pound for pound, meets Al Singer, sovereign of the lightweight realm in a ten round bout at Yankee Stadium tonight." - Sept 11th, 1930, Oakland Tribune

"Tony Canzoneri is the greatest fighter, pound for pound, who ever stepped into ring shoes." - Mar 13th, 1933, Albert Kane of the Hartford Courant

"Even those of us who picked Ambers to win easily, and all of us did, were yelling for Canzoneri from the start. There's something about the little sawed-off fellow that gets you. maybe it's the fact that for 10 years he's been, pound for pound, the best fighter in the business." - May 11th, 1935, Urbana Daily Courier

"Henry Armstrong, Los Angeles Negro, recognized universally as world's featherweight champion and rated outstanding fighter in the country today, pound for pound, meets Pete DeGrasse, Mohawk Indian from the Canadian border, Tuesday night." - Apr 4th, 1937, LA Times

"With a featherweight championship fight coming up, every follower of the fancy seems to be talking about Hurry-Up Henry Armstrong, the coffee-colored clouter from East St.Louis. They say that Hurry-Up Henry, pound for pound, is the best fighter in the world." - Oct 29th, 1937, John Kieran of the NY Times

Philadelphia Inquirer, June 12, 1899

"If a great fistic luminary rose on Friday night, a great one set. Taking him pound for pound, Bob Fitzsimmons was the greatest fighter that ever stepped into a ring, Tom Sayers not forgotten."

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SRR/Walker Smith was undefeated as amateur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post

Agreed.....On Castillo winning the first fight.Was not in awe of Mayweather applied pressure,Landed more with some nice body work.
    Castillo won the 1st fight hands down and was robbed,that was an easy fight to score. Mayweather won the 2nd fight fair and square.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chazz Whitherspoon will be a world champion.
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Thread Information