Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Colin Lynes loses European title to Gianluca Branco

Colin Lynes is just about to step between the ropes in his biggest challenge so far since claiming his European light-welterweight title, facing Italian Gianluca Branco in his own back yard. His opposition in claiming the title (Young Muttley) and in his first defence (Juho Tolppola) hasn't exactly been scintillating, but this will be the fight that shows whether Lynes really is up there with Hatton and Witter as Britain's best Light-welter.

Branco's only ever lost to Arturo Gatti and Miguel Cotto, and Lynes' losses have come against Witter, Malinga and Lenny Daws, so the Daws fight seems the weakest link amongst those names, so I expect a tight bout, with Lynes boxing well and taking a decision from the notoriously home-favouring Italian boxing arenas.

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Colin Lynes defends European title v Gianluca Branco....live now!!!

Colins Lynes by UD................

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think I picked Branco in the contest. Therefore he should win.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I got a feeling that if he can pick up the win tonight, we might see him as the comeback opponent for Junior Witter, whether it's for a vacant world title or the European title he has now. I'll be posting updates every few rounds or so for those who can't see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont know , but Branco since the fight with Cotto he didnt show any courage , Fury and i really dont like that...................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is this being streamed anywhere

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Awesome opening for Lynes. First round he's winning the jabs, and getting off flurries, and not getting caught much.

Second round he's being pressed back more, but as Branco comes forward, he catches Branco round the back of the head, and with the help of a slip, Branco is down. Great stuff from Lynes, and he's quieting that italian crowd. Lynes charging after Branco till the bell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

was it counted as a KD

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We're into the fifth round now, and Lynes took the first three, including the knockdown, but Branco is starting to get back into it, forcing the pace a little more, and waiting for Lynes to come in and then lookto land the shots. In the fifth though, Lynes has finished well with lots of good jabs, probably taking a share of the fifth. So for me, after five, we have Lynes winning 49-46

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by med View Post
    was it counted as a KD
    Yup, ref gave Branco the 8count, despite Branco spending most of the count pointing to the back of his head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Will this go 10 rds or more, has either been hurt ?
    Last edited by med; 05-16-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK, at the end of the 7th now, and the last was a cracker. The sixth was pretty dull, with Lynes boxing well, landing jabs, and the occasional straight shots, but a few decent shots from Branco might have given the judges cause to score it ot the home fighter. The 7th was stunning, Lynes working very well, jabbing and flurrying nicely for two minutes, but a huge Branco flurry has Lynes reeling on the ropes, and he clings on to save his skin there. The deciding factor here could be the home judges, cause it's pretty nip and tuck here. Good first half of the 8th for Branco.

After 7, 68-65 Lynes.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Branco was landing well in the 8th, but Lynes has been consistently boxing well, and landing much more shots, though without the power of Branco. Going into the last quarter, I have Lynes 87-84, but the commentators have it much closer than that, as Lynes isn't coming forward. If this was anywhere but Italy, this would be convincingly for Lynes, but here....who knows. Branco landed 4 shots last round, against Lynes 20+, yet still the commentators give it to Branco??!??!?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

OK, one round to go now, and Lynes seems to have looked to go more toe-to-toe with Branco. In the tenth he landed some very good shots, and rattled Branco, but I don't think he's got the power to stop him. Branco definitely the stronger, and showed it in the eleventh, outmuscling Lynes. He should box!

106-103 to Lynes on mine, but who knows.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Branco has a great flurry for the first minute of the round, but he tires, and Lynes doesn't capitalise. He pretty much runs around Branco until the bell, and that's Branco's round.

115-113 to Lynes for me, and that's giving Branco a fair bit of credit for a few of the rounds which were pretty close, but it's in Italy, so if it goes the other way, then I'd be not at all surprised.

Thread Information