Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default When are you training too much?

Right now I feel I am in great shape. Started tabatas. First time out, struggled a tiny bit with them. Then within 3 sessions can go completely out and feel I could do more. Any weight I lift I seemingly have to keep adding lifting weight week after week. i'm not gaining weight as a result, just making muscle, and if anything losing a few pounds. Have no idea my body fat, but suspect it is very low.

I work out 6 days a week, one day for rest. I don't honestly know anyone in my club or anywhere around here that is anywhere close to being in the condition I am.

I almost feel as though I need to take some time off, just so that I will have something to work at when coming back. Thing is though, i've been having such a hard time finding and getting fights to happen, that I want to make sure I am in peak shape if I happen to get a quick fight on short 3 -4 days notice. The only body drain I feel is in the joints of my knees. ALthough I felt this even when I was training alot less.

SO my question is, when is so much, too much?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: When are you training too much?

I encountered over training last year.

I was extremely fit, was easily sparring 15 rounds and without knowing I feel over the edge.
    All of a sudden sparring five rounds was hard as hell, running over 3 miles was killing me andI felt tired constantly.

A cure I find is a week off ever two months. Just a week to do nothing at all.
    Good quality rest is essential.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sparring 15 rounds? You're going to be the champ one day at that rate!!!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    Ya know clubber, I routinely spar between 10-15 rounds atleast twice a week. Usually with 3 or 4 different fighters. I mean, we aren't going all out like real fight action mind you, but it is still a good go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

try taking a week off like suggested and rest and relax, you may find better strenght gains and a sharper mental edge...get hungry to train etc...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea feel like I am whining a bit here, or just looking for an excuse to b*tch about something. I got track and field coming up shortly here, and a fight on June 14th. Probably take a few weeks off after that and just be a lazy slob. Maybe look to getting laid too!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Clubber View Post
    I doubt it man, I just really want to participate and be there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The main concern mate is that you will burn out before a fight/tournament, theres a lot of debate over whether this is mainly mental or physical but it is defently both. You will reach a point where you think you are in the best shape, this can be the turning point for you. If this is not a week before the fight your likely to burn, simply because you have now created an excuse for yourself.

You might now start missing out on that run in the morning or night thinking "I'm in the best shape i've ever been I can just miss this one", but this is just the start. You then start extending your cheat days to two meals a week, etc. Before you know it you have cheated yourself out of your hard work.

Now you ask how do I stop this from happening? Take a week (or half) of intense training off, use it to practise technique solely. If after this week you have a passion to hit the road again, you have not peaked but rather given your body good rest to then get to the next level. But however if you do not have this fire, you need to keep resting and keep practising that technique. The technique work will keep you in shape, without draining you with the monotony of conditioning.

The key is knowing when to rest, I highly suggest you take a break for a few days, keep eating right and see where you are at. Worst case scenario you give your body a break for a couple of days and come back a monster. Hope this helps buddy, I wish I had known this when I was younger, would have saved me a lot of injuries.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You're body will pretty much will tell you. Everybody should know their limits.
    Hidden Content
    Baggins Clan

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think I might be a little keyed up. I feel like such a dik today.

When I first got to my new club, no one was even close to my age. Most everyone was over 20. Just in the last 2 months, a bunch of my friends who have come watched our in house fights have since joined, and this is good stuff for our club, and kinda cool for me.

2 of them have got their medicals and are already sparring, and I have sparred with them a few times but just really light. Usually just using defense and the odd slap punch for they clearly aren't ready to go hard.

Yesterday my buddy and I are sparring and he's a southie and we're doing okay, and I honestly think he's got lotsa potential. well, I'm so freakin keyed up these days wanting to fight it was driving me nuts holding back...so 2 rounds in I hauled off and give him a body shot. Probably the hardest body shot I ever gave anyone. Dropped his ass, and it made him cry.

I really had no business doing it, and feel like a total dik today as I feel I embarrassed him.

Dunno, just wanted to put that somewhere. I feel like an asshole today. That is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post

When I first got to my new club, no one was even close to my age. Most everyone was over 20. Just in the last 2 months, a bunch of my friends who have come watched our in house fights have since joined, and this is good stuff for our club, and kinda cool for me.

2 of them have got their medicals and are already sparring, and I have sparred with them a few times but just really light. Usually just using defense and the odd slap punch for they clearly aren't ready to go hard.

Yesterday my buddy and I are sparring and he's a southie and we're doing okay, and I honestly think he's got lotsa potential. well, I'm so freakin keyed up these days wanting to fight it was driving me nuts holding back...so 2 rounds in I hauled off and give him a body shot. Probably the hardest body shot I ever gave anyone. Dropped his ass, and it made him cry.

I really had no business doing it, and feel like a total dik today as I feel I embarrassed him.

Dunno, just wanted to put that somewhere. I feel like an asshole today. That is all.
    Don't feel bad. It's for his own good too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mate it is boxing and it was going to happen in sparring one day, although you still should appologize and let him know that you didn't mean to connect that well. It's a learning curve for both of you, so he will now protect his body... everyone remembers their first liver shot and from then on will make sure their right elbow stays covering it, so don't feel too bad brother.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=Youngblood;522608]The only body drain I feel is in the joints of my knees. ALthough I felt this even when I was training alot less.
    quote]

This rang alarm bells for me. I had a similar thing then one day the knee ache just wouldn't go away and gradually got worse and eventually i had to take some serious time off with no exercise at all except for swimming for a LONG time.

Don't ignore this. Maybe take some glucosamine + chrondoitin. Don't be afraid to alter how you train even if you feel ok with how much - just lessen the activities that are especially jarring on your knees and try to do your running on soft surfaces. So many cross training ideas for cardio stuff that don't have to damage your knees.

A few stretches wouldn't go astray either as it can often be a sign of tight muscles pulling in places they shouldn't. You might feel great but you'd be suprised how easy it is to get used to things being out of whack and how much beeter you can be when you listen to what your body is complaining about and correct it.

I still can't run the way I did before my knee injury but i'm much more aware of what was physically limiting before in my range of movement and balance. I'm actually really excited by how much I can improve by training those weaknesses even though I never ebven used to be aware of them!
    When handiicapped having a trained nosepicker help out and personal hair stylist is indispensible Hidden Content

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[quote=Sharla;524005]
    The only body drain I feel is in the joints of my knees. ALthough I felt this even when I was training alot less.
    quote]

This rang alarm bells for me. I had a similar thing then one day the knee ache just wouldn't go away and gradually got worse and eventually i had to take some serious time off with no exercise at all except for swimming for a LONG time.

Don't ignore this. Maybe take some glucosamine + chrondoitin. Don't be afraid to alter how you train even if you feel ok with how much - just lessen the activities that are especially jarring on your knees and try to do your running on soft surfaces. So many cross training ideas for cardio stuff that don't have to damage your knees.

A few stretches wouldn't go astray either as it can often be a sign of tight muscles pulling in places they shouldn't. You might feel great but you'd be suprised how easy it is to get used to things being out of whack and how much beeter you can be when you listen to what your body is complaining about and correct it.

I still can't run the way I did before my knee injury but i'm much more aware of what was physically limiting before in my range of movement and balance. I'm actually really excited by how much I can improve by training those weaknesses even though I never ebven used to be aware of them!
    Yes Sharla, thank you. I have switched up my running routine to both benefit my cardio, as well as potential ligament strain. I was initially running 5 miles 4 + times a week, on cement. I REALLY felt it then. I have since switched to tabatas and run on an earth and grassy path. I do still have it tho, the strain.

Glucosamine and chrondoitin I think is my option from here. I hear of too many knee and ligament injuries, to not pay it serious attention. Appreciate the advice and concern.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It happens bud, in the sport frustration can do horrible things and It will test him.

Last night I was sparring a guy whowas really doing me a favour by sparring me. He clipped me so I threw 4 hard ones and caught him flush each time.

The sport is boxing.
    It is what it is.

Thread Information