Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Question Alternative speedbag uses.

Hey all been a while since I posted. Just started back in the gym after a few months layoff and remembered I had some excellent advice here.

They have a speedbag(ball) in my weights gym with a fairly large bag, im looking into a smaller one as time progresses for obvious reasons but for the time being im lookin g for any tips or ideas you may have other than the normal 2:3 rhythym, its getting boring. I alternate this obviously but ive seen duran using it with his head to practice slips, and a Freddie Roach video I watched he was practicing single hooks on it.

Any tips or ideas you use that are effective, thanks.

SigmaMu Guest

Default Re: Alternative speedbag uses.

Be like Floyd and slip an elbow in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i use it to practice slipping. It really really works. Because everytime you hit it, it bounces back twice, simulating an opponents return double jab. So you hit it then slip twice, and hit it again. It gets your reflexes pretty sharp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You can do the "wave", where the back of the lead hand hits first followed by the fist of the rear after 1 bounce (aka straight after). Then switch side to side, the bag should go on an angle and if your doing it right and quickly your fists make a sort of infinite sign aka a wave. Once you can do that do it with elbows.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The usual way I do it is to hit it, have it do the usual double bounce then hit it again... A think I started doing lately is practicing hitting it and only letting it bounce once on the opposite side.. You have to have both your hands up close together, and tap it quite softly and slowly at first, as it still comes back at you almost immediately, and you move your hands like you would twidle your thumbs.. It's awkward and needs a bit more timing at first as their is only one bounce between hits, but it's a fun alternative and eventually you can get it going very fast with your hands constantly rotating over each other in a small circle... Darn if I was at home i'd take a quick video of what I mean and post it..

I think you've got it though...

Personally I've found it kind of weird to practice slipping on the speed bag... I move shift balance between my feet and keep a fair bit of movement involved to get in an energetic rhythm, but like to practice slipping etc in other ways... That's just me though... I've seen others doing it successfully though..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Alternative speedbag uses.

Thanks all. Dizaster where to in Wales?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Work in rounds and use real punches on the bag, throw jabs, straight rights, hooks and even some uppercuts. For the purpose of footwork it's better to have a platform built into a sturdy pole or pillar. Coordinate your hands and feet for every direction that you're moving in. Don't throw technique out the window in order to keep the bag in rhythm, in other words don't throw technique out of the window. Practice good technique, finish your combinations with a jab or left in order to get yourself back into position. Don't move helter skelter either, be deliberate and see what you're going to do before you do it.

Eventually with a little imagination you can work on different things such as imagining that you are punching into your opponents attack thereby disrupting and nullifying theirs. Perhaps from time to time you mix up the rhythm, this is not simply changing your pace but also changing the tempo of your punches. Let the bag hit the back of the board an extra time before you hit it again.

Practice long range range attacks, perhaps a quick shuffle forward accompanied by a jab everytime your left foot moves. Practice short punches as well.

Using the minute break in between rounds can give you the time that you need to catch your breath as well as figure out what you're going to do next.

My only complaints with the speedbag is that it feels strange to go after the bag rebounds that follow hooks. Landing uppercuts feel awkward as well. Nonetheless I feel that it's a good tool in sharpening your punches as well as developing your hair-trigger reflexes. Practicing with creativity and purpose in mind is a lot better than treating the bag like bicycle pedals for your hands.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawed View Post
    i use it to practice slipping. It really really works. Because everytime you hit it, it bounces back twice, simulating an opponents return double jab. So you hit it then slip twice, and hit it again. It gets your reflexes pretty sharp.
    Ironically, Roberto Duran would practice slipping by hitting the bag with his head. Keep in mind that he was using the same movement that he'd use in slipping when he was hitting the bag. It must've been something to see, I'd really like to see a vid of Scrap demonstrating this. Anyone here want to start a petition?
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Thread Information