Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Calzaghe's Ring status

Ok so the Ring has Calzaghe as the champ at 168 and 175 which he legitimately fought for and won, however the Ring states that a fighter will lose Championship status IF they change weight class. Can someone explain this to me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe's Ring status

Calzaghe will have to vacate one before his next fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As far as I know, the Ring has an absolute policy against stripping belts. If a fighter doesn't lose the belt in the ring, it's up to the fighter to choose to relinquish the belt.

So I believe that if Calzaghe continues fighting at 175, he can choose to remain the Ring champ at 168 as well.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    As far as I know, the Ring has an absolute policy against stripping belts. If a fighter doesn't lose the belt in the ring, it's up to the fighter to choose to relinquish the belt.

So I believe that if Calzaghe continues fighting at 175, he can choose to remain the Ring champ at 168 as well.
    Here's a direct quote from "The Ring's" website

"The only three occasions when a fighter will lose his championship status are when he retires, moves to another weight division, or is defeated in a championship bout."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Seems pretty self explanatory to me judging by their rules.... I think when Calzaghe announces the weight of his next fight then I think we will get our answer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, I also saw on the cover something like, "If he wants to fight for both championships, let him."

I personally think JT is correct. He will be stripped of the later after his next fight is named
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe has fough nothing but the best for his entire career
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He had to relinquish his SM title because he fought hopkins at 175.

Whatever happened to old fashioned common sense, a mandatory defence inside 12months sounds perfectly reasonable to me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

THere is an article in the Ring about it.
    and Calzaghe will remain champion of both until he looses or if he voluntarily relinquishes it.

The Ring does not strip. They are old school.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by PRIDE OF BOSTON View Post
    Well, I also saw on the cover something like, "If he wants to fight for both championships, let him."

I personally think JT is correct. He will be stripped of the later after his next fight is named
    No, that's not how it is.

I'll type a few sentences straight out of the new issue of Ring magazine that I have open in front of me right now.......

He could defend the light heavyweight title against, say, Roy Jones, and then go back down to super middle and defend that belt against, perhaps, Kelly Pavlik. And if that's the course of action Calzaghe wishes to take, more power to him.
    The point is that he should be afforded the opportunity to retain and defend both titles if that is what he wants to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He should not be allowed to retain both belts.. I read an Editors note in the ring that said if he does not defend or relnquish the belts within 12 months they ask him to voluntarily relinquish the title...If he doesn't want too then i suppose he could keep both.And seing as the ring "ask" there titlists to relinquish the belt; I dont think they ever expected anyone to say no im keeping both though.
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tins06 View Post
    He should not be allowed to retain both belts.. I read an Editors note in the ring that said if he does not defend or relnquish the belts within 12 months they ask him to voluntarily relinquish the title...If he doesn't want too then i suppose he could keep both.And seing as the ring "ask" there titlists to relinquish the belt; I dont think they ever expected anyone to say no im keeping both though.
    The Ring addresses that situation and notes that everyone so far has "done the right thing" and giving up a belt they no longer wish to defend. They even listed a half a dozen fighters who moved up in weight and voluntarily reqlinquished their championships.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If a guy is a multi weight world champion until someone from said division can beat him he should be considered the champ of that division just so long as he abides to fight within the 12month time frame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

If a guy is a multi weight world champion until someone from said division can beat him he should be considered the champ of that division just so long as he abides to fight within the 12month time frame.
    Thats fair enough but he should not be allowed too campaign at both weights..defending both Belts.
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hattonthehammer View Post

Thats fair enough but he should not be allowed too campaign at both weights..defending both Belts.

why not i say

if JC is the best at 168, he deserves to be recognised for it. Not forced to relinquish a title just because his next fight is at a different weight.

Famous old saying has never been so true "to be the man you have to beat the man"

Thread Information