Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: sourpuss's training log

Well, that didn't really have the effect I was hoping for.

I was hoping that getting some decent, competitive sparring would spark some motivation for me. Quite the opposite. It pretty much reaffirmed that I've really regressed. The frustrating part is that I can't get back in the gym and work on what's making me worse, because my work in the gym is making me worse.

There are no competitions on the horizon either. So I don't really see the point.

I'm drafting an email to my coach right now telling him I'm quitting. He's not going to take it well. I've the longest member of the club and we're very close, my folks and I even spent Christmas at his house. He's going to take it personal, unfortunately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he hasn't seen your frustration he's blind so I doubt it will come as a suprise.

So you know it's a sign of how things are going and not just a bad day or feeling run down?

I know off days happen but i guess if it's clear you are not getting any improvement for your efforts then it's hard to stay motivated!

Sorry to hear things haven't gone well!

Maybe think of it as quitting this situation but not everything you love about boxing.

Leave yourself open to continue training - perhaps boxing at another gym if you find yourself able to or in a similar sport.

It can be the end of this situation but it doesn't have to be the end of what boxing has meant to you.

Youngblood gave me these non wilting flowers as a symbol of hope so now I'm going to pass them onto you:

Also I think you should keep posting otherwise we'll miss ya! Of course that's an entirely selfish request and if you find it too depressing I guess I'd understand!
    Last edited by Sharla; 01-02-2009 at 06:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks Sharla! Those flowers are wonderful.

Erg, I'm very conflicted. Part of me wants to just suck it up and make the most of the few years I have left of this and part of me can't bear not being able to be the best.

If I could just show up to the gym a couple of days a week and train a little and fight a few times a year, I would. But I'm obsessive (you know how that is ) and I want to be the best and fight the best. I'm an all or nothing kind of person. And so far it's been train like crazy, fight whoever is put in front of me and train some more. Maybe I just got burnt out, I don't know.

My coach didn't take it well. He just wrote me a nasty email back saying that he's taking it personally. Erg!

A friend of mine called last night and made a good case as to why I shouldn't quit. So it gave me some things to think about.

Either way, I'm still going to run as many races as I can this year so I'll be posting here.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gawdammit.

Move to Canada...I'll switch my queen size bed into a bunk bed (we gotta flip for top) and I'll spar you 8 times a week! You can teach me cool stuff like how to get and keep a job without telling the boss to go get stuffed, and until then we'll live off the food that mysteriously just shows up in my fridge...and if that isn't enough, my neighbors have a fridge in their garage and i'm pretty sure we could raid that too. I think they even keep a few beer in there.

I just don't want to see you have regret, sourpuss.

I'm a little bit frustrated too atm, having a lack of decent sparring partners, and am looking at setting up some private stuff after club hours with a member or 2 from another club as I have the keys for the gym and am just gonna do it...cuz I know it sux not having someone competitive to regularly learn from and seeing our club head honchos won't set it up, well hell. So basically I am going to do whatever the heck I can to get better with creative licence becuz I love this sport...and yea know...I think you do too.

I'll ofc understand if you do really decide not to keep fighting (eventually), but I refuse to let you go without a bit of a fight myself.

I'm looking forward to the ringside world tour this year or some other tours this year in the states. I'd sure like to see you there...all geared up and ready for battle. Just sayin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You guys are awesome.
    So I've been thinking a lot about it all and I still don't know what to do. I had a long talk with Salsanchezfan and he may have convinced me to stick it out for a bit longer.

My coach had a potential fight in the works for Jan 24th. So I've decided to keep going to the gym until I know about that one for sure. Which means I'll be back there tomorrow when we start up again. We'll see how that goes. If it's more of the same, I can't imagine my enthusiasm enduring any more. We'll see. I'm trying to keep an open mind though...sort of.

So I will work my ass off, yet again, for the next 3 months and see what comes of it. I'm setting the date of first week in April to have gotten something out of it before I quit for good I think.

It sounds negative, I know.

Friday Jan 2, 2009
    Run 4.2 miles
    25 minutes of abs and shadowboxing (2 and 3 minute round intervals)

Sunday 3rd:
    Run 3.8 miles with intervals on the treadmill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mon the 5th
    1.5 hours of raquetball
    10 minutes of tempo running on the treadmill
    Stretching, abs and pushups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tues the 6th

10 mins warm up skipping
    Sprints
    8 x3min rounds on the bag alternating between power, speed and freestyle
    8 x3min rounds of sparring with 3 different guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh and I just signed up for a triathlon group personal training program that is going to be offered at the fitness club I go to. It sounds pretty good. I know the instructors and they are very good, so I'm looking forward to it. (I'm not looking forward to getting up at 5:30am twice a week for 8 weeks though)

It's going to be set up like this.

4 trainers/4 sessions with each
    Running
    Cycling
    Swimming
    Core/Q & A

and each session is 45 minutes long. I'd prefer an hour but I'm sure I'll get a ton out of it. Doesn't start until February 4th but that's fine.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Triathlons. Meh. I think there is something wrong with people who like those...bcuz they are kinda gruelling, no? lol I kid. Said from a forum where getting hit in the face is cool...

Seriously tho. I couldn't do that kind of stuff I don't think. I'm guessing it takes a certain personality type to want to push themselves that far. And don't think I have the type of patience for distance stuff, another thing you marathoners must possess.

What do you think makes you want to do it, sourpuss?

I think it is cool, actually...but am just too much of a wuss maybe to do that sorta training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Man up YB!

I'm just doing the training for a cross-fitness thing. Just something different to not get bored.

Although, I am looking to do some longer trail races this summer. There are some pretty intense, long, high altitude ones here during the summer months that I think would be fun to at least attempt. We'll see, I may change my mind after doing one. hehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wed the 7th

One hour of conditioning:
    Skipping, running laps, running the stairs, pushups, pullups and abs.

2 x 3min rounds of mitts
    9 x 3min round of sparring

10 more minutes of ab exercises

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thursday the 8th

45 minutes of conditioning:
    running with hand weights (boooo)
    hand weight/speed exercises
    pushups

1 hour of 3 minute rounds with 1 min rest
    mitts and bag work

one mile tempo run on the treadmill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you're looking for different workouts so you dont get bored, try RossTraining - Bridging The Gap Between Ordinary and Extraordinary. Theres tons of stuff there that is great for fighters and anyone looking to work on conditioning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wesrman View Post
    If you're looking for different workouts so you dont get bored, try RossTraining - Bridging The Gap Between Ordinary and Extraordinary. Theres tons of stuff there that is great for fighters and anyone looking to work on conditioning.
    Thank you, I will. I haven't spent a lot of time looking around there but I've heard it's worth it.

Today, went snowboarding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Went snowboarding again today. I'll get back on the working out tomorrow.

Thread Information