0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: sourpuss's training log

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sourpuss View Post
    Erg! I'm having prefight negative thinking!

You fight tonight? Good Luck if you do! You'll kick ass!!!

No, thank god! I have a tournament in three weeks. But I'm not feeling it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    Erg! I'm having prefight negative thinking!

You fight tonight? Good Luck if you do! You'll kick ass!!!

No, thank god! I have a tournament in three weeks. But I'm not feeling it.
    Meh...three weeks. Calif. could slide into the ocean and CO turn into a giant volcano before that arrives. haha. But is good I think to air your thoughts. And plus I know ya been busting your butt, amirite?

Yea, you'll be fine. go play Mah Joulah or whatever tha thingymabopper. LOL

Tonight I should be fighting in Valley East Sudbury...my latest cancellation. This time their coach pulled the plug on it so they say, because they had a poor showing at our last tour and none of the fighters are taking it serious. It seems I just can't win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah, better get used to that. Don't let it bug you. I've had more fights canceled on me that have gone through. It's just the way it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Actually Puss, when it gets worse is when you allways deliver your fighter. I had to toss one out with the flu. I didnt like it,but its the only way you get call backs. Its like modeling with fists

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, my coach is finally back. Whew.
    I did get some good sparring and pad work in while he was gone with a coach from another club. So that was good, I have some new tricks to work on.

I leave for my next fight on July 8th. I'm considering going down another weight class but I'm not sure if I should or not. Currently, I fight at 114lbs and I was thinking of going to 110. It seems like at these tournament I'm always weighing around 112 anyways so I may as well try. I'm 118 right now though because I haven't been working out as hard as I should be. I've never tried to lose a lot of weight in a short period of time so I don't know if I can do it or not. I'm not one to dehydrate or any of that so that's not an option. I think I'll just bust my ass and watch what I eat and see where I end up when we leave. If I can make 110, I will, if not, no big deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just under 115 this morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Erg! I got a really bad sunburn on a long hike I went on Friday. So that set me back a bit since I couldn't work out yesterday. Very stupid. I'll be back in the gym tonight after work. But now my weight was back up to 116.5. Erg!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Erg! I got a really bad sunburn on a long hike I went on Friday. So that set me back a bit since I couldn't work out yesterday. Very stupid. I'll be back in the gym tonight after work. But now my weight was back up to 116.5. Erg!
    Just laying the foundation for a good tan is all. Gotta look sharp when kicking butt .

Woooo! I'm back. GOGO Sourpuss, get ready for that fight!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks! I'm hoping to get some decent sparring in tonight.
    I'm heading to the gym now for some conditioning then up to meet my coach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Got some good sparring last night but this sunburn is killing me and it's in the back of my mind when I'm in the ring. I can't be as aggressive as I want and go all out because I'm afraid of hurting it. I wish the dang thing would just heal already.

Word to the wise, sunscreen. Don't take any chances before a fight. I'm always careful during the season with snowboarding or running in the snow not to get hurt but it didn't even occur to me how much a bad sunburn would hold up my training.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, sunburn is on the mend. Got 7 rounds of good sparring last night. I still need to be more active and aggressive with cutting the ring off and not letting someone dance around me. I do great if they stand in front of me and fight it's the running I have trouble with.

I ran my first 5K this morning. It felt good....when it was over. Haha. It was very hot out which made it difficult. But I did it and I'm not a big runner, I usually do cycling for conditioning so I'm pretty slow. I beat my goal by 4 minutes so that was nice. Now I have something to improve on.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, sunburn is on the mend. Got 7 rounds of good sparring last night. I still need to be more active and aggressive with cutting the ring off and not letting someone dance around me. I do great if they stand in front of me and fight it's the running I have trouble with.

I ran my first 5K this morning. It felt good....when it was over. Haha. It was very hot out which made it difficult. But I did it and I'm not a big runner, I usually do cycling for conditioning so I'm pretty slow. I beat my goal by 4 minutes so that was nice. Now I have something to improve on.
    Good morning sourpuss. Glad to hear ya on the mend.

I know you are working at getting to and maintaining that lower weight for your upcoming match, so understand the distance running and so on. I do wonder about sprints though. How you do them and for what reasons. Just cardio or other?

As in, have you ever done the tabata protocol with them? I know I harp a lot about it and am just a youngun and all, but man oh man...it has made such a difference for me in cardio results. It seemed like I went from being gassed inside of 5 rounds, to being able to go 10+ and feel like I still had more...in just around a month of doing them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We do a lot of sprints in the gym and I do some on my own. Probably 3-4 times a week. I don't know what tabata sprints are. We just do wind sprints and alternate people, one runs while the other jogs in place back and forth 1,3,5,7,5,3,&1 times.
    I've added some other agility sprints as well side to side and running forwards and backwards.
    Luckily, I've never gassed out in a bout. What are these sprints you do?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We do a lot of sprints in the gym and I do some on my own. Probably 3-4 times a week. I don't know what tabata sprints are. We just do wind sprints and alternate people, one runs while the other jogs in place back and forth 1,3,5,7,5,3,&1 times.
    I've added some other agility sprints as well side to side and running forwards and backwards.
    Luckily, I've never gassed out in a bout. What are these sprints you do?

Do these and thank me later. Maybe after your bout coming up as to not rock your boat for now...

Stretching, then 4-5 min warm up before them, w/e rope skip, pads...anything to get your system going, make sure same warm down after them, but they are...

Exactly this: 20s full out sprint 10s rest x 8 times. ( no breaks between. so you are running 8x20s 10s rests)

there is much research to it's benefits over all forms of sprints.

It can be incorporated into many forms of workouts, but for sprints they are magical. I do mine on an earthy, grassy path.

The secret of Tabata: this 14-minute workout may be the best you've ever had! | Men's Fitness | Find Articles at BNET

It may not seem like as much of a workout to what people do who run 100m x 10 with 1 min breaks and so on...but the proof is in the scientific research, and I found it in the pudding by doing them.

After my coaches found out what and how I was doing them and seeing my cardio results in sparring, it is now mandatory for our gym.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll give it a try.

Thread Information