Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: sourpuss's training log

I'm back. Unfortunately, I messed my shoulder up again in the last two weeks. I think it's a repetitive strain injury or something. Not sure and I don't have health insurance so no finding out. I have a feeling that I tore my shoulder back in December and so when I over train and don't give it a chance to recover, it gets pretty sore. Anyway, minor setback. I can still work on other stuff.

I signed up for another 5k so I'll be doing a lot of running to get ready for that. I'm going to try running up in the mountains tonight. There's a good trail that is 2.5 miles long that's at a pretty high altitude. I'll do that for starters since I've had two days off it's time to get back in to it all.
    Last edited by sourpuss; 07-29-2008 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, my resting time is over time to get my shit together.
    Ran 2.5 miles today and I'l have a workout with my coach and the other boxers tonight. Not sure what we'll be doing, it's always a surprise with my coach.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You looking to stay at 110? Got bout 2 1/2 weeks, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We'll see, I kind of went all food crazy the last few days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Back on track this last week. I have another tournament coming up in two weeks and another 5k coming up in a week.
    The weather here has been crazy so I haven't been able to work out outside which is a bummer since it's only nice here about 3-4 months out of the year.
    I'll do some trail running today and then go to the boxing gym this evening for a couple of hours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lot's of sparring, lots of trail running. Going well. My folks were in town for the weekend so now I need to work on my weight...haha. But all is good. I've got the 5k on Saturday and then we leave for the tournament on Sunday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good Luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You've got a hectic competition schedule going here!

Doing well to keep it all going!

Right now there will be relatively few competitors around accumulating so much competitive ring time -

It may not always feel like it but at some point it's definately going to pay off - hang in there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think I'm going to take a long break after this tournament. If I come back at all...we'll see.

It's not the competing that's getting to me, it's the sparring. I'm the only girl in my club and I weigh 115 pounds and the only people I have to spar with are guys who are 155-165 pounds. None of them understand the concept of just working with me. They all go all out and try to take my head off. Even my coach. I've mentioned it to my coach a couple of times and it's like he can't not go all out. It's either hit me as hard as he can or just turtle up. So sparring with him is either I just hold my hand in front of my face and he batters me or he turtles up and I just punch his arms. Completely pointless.

The other two guys I spar with are skilled enough to throw combinations and make me work but have no idea how to not hit full force. They are also a little wild and since they are quite a bit taller than me, I'm constantly getting hit on the top of the head. I've been getting a lot of headaches and I've noticed a significant drop in my ability to concentrate and remember times and dates.

Unless someone my size magically joins the club and is ready to spar and work in the next two months, I'm afraid there's no real point to continue. Which sucks because I really want to box and be competitive.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sourpuss View Post
    I think I'm going to take a long break after this tournament. If I come back at all...we'll see.

It's not the competing that's getting to me, it's the sparring. I'm the only girl in my club and I weigh 115 pounds and the only people I have to spar with are guys who are 155-165 pounds. None of them understand the concept of just working with me. They all go all out and try to take my head off. Even my coach. I've mentioned it to my coach a couple of times and it's like he can't not go all out. It's either hit me as hard as he can or just turtle up. So sparring with him is either I just hold my hand in front of my face and he batters me or he turtles up and I just punch his arms. Completely pointless.

The other two guys I spar with are skilled enough to throw combinations and make me work but have no idea how to not hit full force. They are also a little wild and since they are quite a bit taller than me, I'm constantly getting hit on the top of the head. I've been getting a lot of headaches and I've noticed a significant drop in my ability to concentrate and remember times and dates.

Unless someone my size magically joins the club and is ready to spar and work in the next two months, I'm afraid there's no real point to continue. Which sucks because I really want to box and be competitive.
    I'm reading your frustration and am sorry to hear it. With the gender difference in this sport, that alone is one thing....then having to deal with weight differences is another. Combined to add further frustration. Maybe try being more vocal regarding it to them? (maybe you already have)

I know you love the sport, sourpuss. So I'm not really sure what to say here. Try to stay positive for your upcoming tournament. Also though, do not underestimate damage that can be done by absorbing head punches. I did a bit of a write up in the 'Seeing The lights' thread for a reason. It is maybe 10 posts down from starting post, and has to do specifically with TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). This is nothing to mess around with.

For now find a way to get positive. You're going to need it to compete if that is what you choose. Remember, you are competing against some of the best female boxers in your country and on the planet. That right there is reason to hold your head high, and to be proud. So when you step in the ring, remember that...and fight like you belong there. Because you do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks youngblood. I think a break will help and I'm trying to do more puzzles, although I don't know how I could fit many more in considering I'm a puzzle fanatic. I think I'm going to get one of those nintendo DS things. That might help.

Seems like when I do say something, they all freak out and just don't punch at all. Which is even less help than getting hit too hard. I'll talk to my coach again and see what we can do.

Trying to stay positive....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you like puzzles and that kind of stuff, you will like the DS. My buddy has one and he loves it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My mom got one and I play it this weekend.

It said my brain was 75 years old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Size is the biggest pain in the arse! I have even seen it with small guys sparring bigger guys - the tempo is still there - us midgets can still put the pressure on but the automatic response is not always as controlled as it should be!

Other times it's just not sparring at all and pretty demeaning. I dont' want to 'spar' someone who just holds up their hands and tells me to hit them! I HATE being tapped on the top of the head - it's so not something that happens in a normal bout and so just saying something like "oh you little bittle cutie short shit come in the ring to play with us big boys"!

Have you thought about looking at different clubs with more small people. I know that at our size that probably means sparring juniors but some of them can be pretty tricky and fun to spar.

I have a crap memory but have never wanted to think it's from the boxing. The idea of permanent brain injury (because your brain cells don't grow back) has scared me too much to entertain the thought. I have always been a ditz though. I was always absent minded and often criticized for being a 'day dreamer' as a kid so i like to think that a good proportion of adult ditziness is more inherant in our nature than brought about by boxing.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For real?!
    I can understand the concept of partners wanting to hurt you, I get it all the time, but I don't know any guy that would try and hurt a girl.

Subsequently, I don't think any proper coach would advocate regular all out sparring, its just not educational and takes more than it gives.

Sorry to hear about you're entire predicament, is that the only club near you?

[quote=Sharla;569559
    Size is the biggest pain in the arse! I have even seen it with small guys sparring bigger guys - the tempo is still there - us midgets can still put the pressure on but the automatic response is not always as controlled as it should be!

Other times it's just not sparring at all and pretty demeaning. I dont' want to 'spar' someone who just holds up their hands and tells me to hit them! I HATE being tapped on the top of the head - it's so not something that happens in a normal bout and so just saying something like "oh you little bittle cutie short shit come in the ring to play with us big boys"!

Have you thought about looking at different clubs with more small people. I know that at our size that probably means sparring juniors but some of them can be pretty tricky and fun to spar.

I have a crap memory but have never wanted to think it's from the boxing. The idea of permanent brain injury (because your brain cells don't grow back) has scared me too much to entertain the thought. I have always been a ditz though. I was always absent minded and often criticized for being a 'day dreamer' as a kid so i like to think that a good proportion of adult ditziness is more inherant in our nature than brought about by boxing.[/quote]
    You training hard for when we spar?
    WAR

Thread Information