Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default sourpuss's training log

I'm hoping this will keep me motivated. The last month or so I've been slacking off. I had a busy winter and spring with training and fights and needed a break.

I have two major tournaments coming up in July and August and need to get back on my 6 days a week workout schedule. Any suggestions or general 'get your a$$ in the gym!' motivational comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: sourpuss's training log

Today (Saturday) I'm planning on a short run, 45 minutes of cycling and then I'll meet my coach for some padwork. I usually end my workouts with extra abs and a lot of stretching.

As soon as the weather permits, I'll be getting back to my runs in the mountains. Those really helped last season since it's at high altitude. It's just too wet right now, so I'm hoping by next week most of the trails will be dry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I suppose I should give a bit of a background.

I live in the US and I've been boxing for three years now. I'm female and have near 20 fights so it getting harder and harder to find opponents these days. I imagine major tournaments are going to be my best bet at this point as there aren't many girls in this area. I have two major tournaments coming up this summer. One in the first week in July and one in the first week in August. So now is the time I really need to step up my training. I never really take breaks, I usually just back off to 4 or 5 days a week of working out. So back to 6 days a week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, welcome to the site sourpuss. Nice to see there are dedicated female boxers out there, in all honesty I don't think I've ever met a female boxing fan let alone boxer haha. There should be more.. boxing is way better than make-up.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hear you on the hard to find opponents thing. I don't have near as many santioned fights, as they are tough to find given my age and size and location. And I haven't had much luck even when they were set up, with last minute cancellations and such. I do get to fight alot though, but they are In house and local fights and am usually fighting older dudes in their early 20's and such and dobn't count for anything other then experience. Some good, some terrible.

We will travel pretty much anywhere in Ontario, and into Michigan for fights. Hopefully this next one holds up for me June 14th.

When you get the time I'd be interested in seeing you lay out your routine. I think it helps to have it written down and organized in a black and white sort of way. That way if we start slacking a bit, we can come look at our logs and kinda say..."Oh yea shit...that's what I'm supposed to be doing."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks guys.
    I just did a couple of hours at the gym. About 45 minutes of mitts with my coach and another hour+ of cycling, abs, skipping and shadowboxing.

Today was pretty light. Tomorrow I'll only have time for a run and hopefully some mitts.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

C'mon sourpuss, get your ass in gear! It's 7 a.m. here and I've already done stretching, 4 rounds of skipping as warm up and down, and a set of 8 tabata sprints.

I bet one of your upcoming opponents is doing the same thing. Better get busy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok, well you posted that at 4:30 am here. Haha. Today I'm going to work on two things A: my conditioning. I'm going to a cycling class for an hour. B: my movement in the ring.
    I have a tendency to get really flat footed and slug away. This upcoming tournament, I'm fairly certain I'll be fighting the only gal I lost to this year. She likes to throw on or two punches and run other other side of the ring. Every time I so much as flinched, she was out of there. So I'm going to spend several round just practicing cutting off the ring and making quick movements. And of course stretching and abs.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by sourpuss View Post
    Ok, well you posted that at 4:30 am here. Haha. Today I'm going to work on two things A: my conditioning. I'm going to a cycling class for an hour. B: my movement in the ring.
    I have a tendency to get really flat footed and slug away. This upcoming tournament, I'm fairly certain I'll be fighting the only gal I lost to this year. She likes to throw on or two punches and run other other side of the ring. Every time I so much as flinched, she was out of there. So I'm going to spend several round just practicing cutting off the ring and making quick movements. And of course stretching and abs.

Yes I knew what time it was there. I just figured I'd have a razz waiting for you when you woke up.

Sounds like a good game plan you have for fighting this girl, and it sure helps knowing what you are up against. If you start getting lazy and want someone to gripe on you, even from so far away...I'm your person!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I watched the video from our last fight and the only time I scored was when I had her trapped and went to the body and then up top. Granted, it was computer scoring and this next one will be clickers. I still need to be able to get in her face quick and land.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thank you for the motivation, this is great because my coach is going to be out of town for two weeks and I'm going to need the extra ass chewin.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good morning, sunshine. Time for your daily ass chew. I heard we are sending down some seriously in shape boxers to this big tour, so I'm thinking you better get yer butt in gear!!

What you plan to work on today? Me ima be running my track and field and flirting with the babes, so I got the day off, but that don't mean you can...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I hear flirting with babes is hard work.

Tonight should be good. I have a feeling I'm going to be the only one at the gym with my coach so we'll really get to focus on what I need to be working on.
    I'll be there for two hours and I imagine he'll have me do some sprints and stair running and some abs. If not, I'll do those after we train. Probably spar and do some mitts.

I'll have a full report when I get back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bah! I feel a sore throat coming on. I will not get sick damnit.

Last night was a really good workout. Lots of sprints and intense bag drills. Worked with another guy in the there on trying to get inside and cut off the ring. I've always been taller than my opponents so this is proving to be a challenge.

Not sure what my coach has in mind for me tonight. I'll find out when I get there.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good that you had a strong and technical work last night. Hope you don't get sick. I did nothing all day cept sit on my ass. Woke with a sinus headache and a little sun stroked from track meet yesterday, so that is 2 days off inna row. Plus Sunday.

How you running your sprints? I've never ran stairs. It looks hard though. I'm wondering if the benefits of it extend beyond cardio. I would imagine they would build the legs.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 06-05-2008 at 01:28 AM.

Thread Information