Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching trainers..A question on etiquette..(need a trainers insight)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Switching trainers..A question on etiquette..(need a trainers insight)

Alright. This is a hypothetical dilemma question.

Say a kid get assigned to his first trainer and he gets trained by him throughout his amateur career. But say the kid had a good opportunity to be trained by a highly renowned trainer. Would it be disrespect for the fighter to leave his original trainer and take that opportunity? Keep in mind this is not an act of spite, but rather seizing an chance that may not come around again.

Is it common in the sport of boxing that fighters leave their original trainers? And is it usually on good terms or does it usually leave a bad taste? Or is it actually pretty common that the original trainer moves their kid up to someone else when they hit pro?

I would like both fighters and trainers insight on this touchy subject..

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Switching trainers..A question on etiquette..(need a trainers insight)

If youve been approached its because they like the look of you. question how did it happen. Trust me most Pro trainers have not got a clue. Its a case of them talking bollocks its all a con, be carefull.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Switching trainers..A question on etiquette..(need a trainers insight)

well Scrap. Its nothing like that, but i really appreciate the concern.

how i stated my question is how it is. I just wanted to know the feelings of fighters and trainers alike. Trainers, How would you feel if your boy moved on to another trainer? Fighters, how would you feel about leaving your trainer?

Again, the kid has all the respect and admiration for his trainer, theres no spite involved in the decision.
    Last edited by southpawed; 06-06-2008 at 05:34 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Alot of variables on that question.As Scrap said,why did you look good in the first place? Who got you there?
    Trainers and managers are allways looking to scoop another guys fighter,but that doesnt make it the best thing for you either
    Me personally,I try to avoid the swoop and scoop,just because you may be a big deal this week as a trainer, but people are going to remember if you scooped afighter off of them if your not as big down the road.
    Id see if your trainer would consider letting you cross train and vice versa,I never mind that,you can pick up stuff that way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    Alot of variables on that question.As Scrap said,why did you look good in the first place? Who got you there?
    Trainers and managers are allways looking to scoop another guys fighter,but that doesnt make it the best thing for you either
    Me personally,I try to avoid the swoop and scoop,just because you may be a big deal this week as a trainer, but people are going to remember if you scooped afighter off of them if your not as big down the road.
    Id see if your trainer would consider letting you cross train and vice versa,I never mind that,you can pick up stuff that way
    well, the choice would totally be the fighters if he chose to leave.

Alright trainer monkey. Say one of your kids had a chance to pack up his stuff to leave and get trained by a renowned Pro. Would you hold it against him for taking that opportunity? Or would you be happy for your fighter?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That wouldnt be the case in Scrap's situation as in many circles he is rated as the best

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey View Post
    well, the choice would totally be the fighters if he chose to leave.

Alright trainer monkey. Say one of your kids had a chance to pack up his stuff to leave and get trained by a renowned Pro. Would you hold it against him for taking that opportunity? Or would you be happy for your fighter?
    Depends on the fighter,depends on the Trainer.
    Trainers get very dogmatic, they tend to want what they want,and how they want it.
    And just because its a famous trainer,doesnt allways mean its the best thing for the fighter.
    Examples,why sure.
    Roach-Has taken on too many fighters, and spends alot time with his Title promotional deal,you really think your getting his best?
    McGirt-Has alot of fighters,but have you ever notice alot of them end up kissing canvas in big fights
    Fraziers-Style is better suited to shorter fighters

Theres an old Texas saying that fits here,"You gotta dance with them what brung ya"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i can say this, switching trainers almost always brings bad feelings, they invest a lot in you emotionally and knowledge wise, hwen you leave them they feel hurt or betrayed sometimes. keep in mind a leave may be best for you but then the grass may just seem greener.like monkey said, they may not fit so well or worse have a private agenda, remember boxing is a dirty business and you must protect yourself at all times...

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I stayed loyal to my old boxing club even though I knew they weren't getting me the fights I wanted, and I believe needed. This while most of the best fighters left and started up their own club.

What finally did it for me was, I was having a spar with a part time trainer, he started throwing all he had at me while saying I should just go easy. Well, i'm a fighter, and he wasn't much of a boxer, in fact, I found out later he wasn't even certified. Anyway, I am 13 yrs old at the time, and I got kinda pissed catching bombs and I let loose on him. Ended up home later that night covered in blood. And it wasn't mine.

Then they suspend ALL sparring, and he quietly said to me..."It'll be you or me that leaves this place." He denied he said it. LIAR. And says I have to publicly apologise to him.

I left the gym, went to the new gym and it was the best thing I ever did. I went back and apologized when I picked up my Boxing Assoc. card with my new trainer..."I'm sorry I hit you too hard."

Adios. The gym owner and others tried to talk me into staying, but I knew then this was not the place for me. I'm out to fight and to win. Not coddle some old fukkers bruised ego.

Yea, I'm still a little pissed about it.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 06-07-2008 at 06:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I stayed loyal to my old boxing club even though I knew they weren't getting me the fights I wanted, and I believe needed. This while most of the best fighters left and started up their own club.

What finally did it for me was, I was having a spar with a part time trainer, he started throwing all he had at me while saying I should just go easy. Well, i'm a fighter, and he wasn't much of a boxer, in fact, I found out later he wasn't even certified. Anyway, I am 13 yrs old at the time, and I got kinda pissed catching bombs and I let loose on him. Ended up home later that night covered in blood. And it wasn't mine.

Then they suspend ALL sparring, and he quietly said to me..."It'll be you or me that leaves this place." He denied he said it. LIAR. And says I have to publicly apologise to him.

I left the gym, went to the new gym and it was the best thing I ever did. I went back and apologized when I picked up my Boxing Assoc. card with my new trainer..."I'm sorry I hit you too hard."

Adios. The gym owner and others tried to talk me into staying, but I knew then this was not the place for me. I'm out to fight and to win. Not coddle some old fukkers bruised ego.

Well that goes the other way,dont it?
    You arent supposed to overcommit, and leave your fighters hanging either

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trainers get very dogmatic, they tend to want what they want,and how they want it.
    And just because its a famous trainer,doesnt allways mean its the best thing for the fighter.
    Examples,why sure.
    Roach-Has taken on too many fighters, and spends alot time with his Title promotional deal,you really think your getting his best?
    McGirt-Has alot of fighters,but have you ever notice alot of them end up kissing canvas in big fights

Theres an old Texas saying that fits here,"You gotta dance with them what brung ya"[/QUOTE]

i hear ya TM. This was more the response i was seeking. You make a good point though. I had it in my head that the better the fighter, the better the trainer. What do say though about Mccallum persay? Remember its all just speculation though..

And believe me Trainer Monkey, i take that saying to heart. Or these questions would not ever have arisen in my head or in this forum. I do hold the ones who first took me in, in high regards. So thats why, say if i ever left, it'd be quite the dilemma for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    That wouldnt be the case in Scrap's situation as in many circles he is rated as the best
    LOL. hey Scrap. If you ever happen to give a Saddoboxing Seminar somewhere. I and im sure others would drive to great lengths to have you instill some of that knowledge upon us. Hell maybe even just correct our stances so we'd be that much more biomechanically effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post

lol man. you dont need that bullshit. What kind of gym enviroment is that? "Its either you or me" ?? Ridiculous man. You should gave him the bird, come back when you're a pro and spit in his face. Well i wouldnt go THAT far. But i woulda left too if i had a douchebag like that guy trying to give me shit then lying about it. A Gyms supposed to be a family to you, its not supposed to have shady characters like that.
    Last edited by southpawed; 06-07-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawed View Post
    Examples,why sure.

Theres an old Texas saying that fits here,"You gotta dance with them what brung ya"
    i hear ya TM. This was more the response i was seeking. You make a good point though. I had it in my head that the better the fighter, the better the trainer. What do say though about Mccallum persay? Remember its all just speculation though..

And believe me Trainer Monkey, i take that saying to heart. Or these questions would not ever have arisen in my head or in this forum. I do hold the ones who first took me in, in high regards. So thats why, say if i ever left, it'd be quite the dilemma for me.[/quote]
    I have to ask some serious questions, and ones you need to consider before I awnser.
    How far do you think you are along?
    What do you consider your strengths, what do you feel are your weakness's?It will give me a better Idea if thats the trainer you want for yourself.
    Just because its a name trainer,doesnt make it a good fit
    Has the phrase "exclusive contract" come up yet?
    How do you think your current trainer is going to react? This is a very serious one,because you want to avoid burning bridges.
    Take your time and think those questions through a bit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And I will say this,I do not leave myself out of the "dogmatic" category
    If you do a pawing jab,I will have a conniption
    If you try a two hands down defense,see above
    I want to see you jab away,and press hard if it gets close
    All trainers have,what they want to see,and I cant say Im any different

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know if your trainer kept protecting you out of a title fight, I might could see a reason to leave him. (Like in Million Dollar Baby).

Thread Information