Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Even if Mayweather fought and beat Cotto

People would still be complaining if he didn't fight Paul Williams immediatly, or Berto a year or two down the road. People need to realize there will always be prospects. I agree, in that I want Mayweather to fight Cotto, but after ODLH does, and then I would be fine if he walks away from the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Even if Mayweather fought and beat Cotto

You were ready to marry this guy and he left you at standing at the altar. Why are you still talking about him like he's a god?

I swear man, I think you're Leanord Ellerbe on the low.
    Francisco "The Wizard" Palacios
    WBA Fedelatin Champ -WBC #1 Contender
    21-1* (13 K.O.s) Cruiserweight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

? Yeah, and your a fucking moron, next.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    ? Yeah, and your a fucking moron, next.
    Do you ever make threads/posts that don't involve you whining and complaining like a 14 year old girl or insulting other posters?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't think people would want to see him face Williams or Berto like they want to see him face Cotto. I think Cotto would be the best opponent he's ever faced and no one would say that about Williams or Berto. So on that front I disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People would still be complaining if he didn't fight Paul Williams immediatly, or Berto a year or two down the road. People need to realize there will always be prospects. I agree, in that I want Mayweather to fight Cotto, but after ODLH does, and then I would be fine if he walks away from the sport.
    Some people would, no doubt. I think he will still fight and beat Cotto. After that he should silence nearly everyone of his critics though. Not sure what this is all about. I've met Floyd a few times, but can't say that I know him at all. I do know some people who still speak to Floyd occasionally, or so they say, I hope I run into one of them and try to get their take on his retirement.

Not sure what this is all about. Maybe it has something to do with his father? David Mayo who writes for the Grand Rapids Press and knows Floyd as well as anyone in the media seems to think it has something to do with Floyd's dis like of Oscar. Maybe he's leaving Oscar scrambling now as payback for the dismissive treatment he received in the past.

Mayweather's retired, but that takes explaining - Mayweather - MLive.com

IMO, if he doesn't fight again and doesn't fight Cotto it leaves a hole in his career to me. This fight has been in the making for a few years. Its not like Cotto is just the next challenger. Cotto is the potential legacy cementing opponent. Floyd's whole career has been leading up to the Cotto fight. It's his destiny to fight and beat Cotto and ride off into the sunset. I think maybe he has grown to hate training and doesn't want to go through it the same anymore. If he knows he doesn't have the heart to go through the crazy training regiment he needs to be ready, maybe he's retiring for the right reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GRBOXINGFAN View Post
    Some people would, no doubt. I think he will still fight and beat Cotto. After that he should silence nearly everyone of his critics though. Not sure what this is all about. I've met Floyd a few times, but can't say that I know him at all. I do know some people who still speak to Floyd occasionally, or so they say, I hope I run into one of them and try to get their take on his retirement.

Not sure what this is all about. Maybe it has something to do with his father? David Mayo who writes for the Grand Rapids Press and knows Floyd as well as anyone in the media seems to think it has something to do with Floyd's dis like of Oscar. Maybe he's leaving Oscar scrambling now as payback for the dismissive treatment he received in the past.

IMO, if he doesn't fight again and doesn't fight Cotto it leaves a hole in his career to me. This fight has been in the making for a few years. Its not like Cotto is just the next challenger. Cotto is the potential legacy cementing opponent. Floyd's whole career has been leading up to the Cotto fight. It's his destiny to fight and beat Cotto and ride off into the sunset. I think maybe he has grown to hate training and doesn't want to go through it the same anymore. If he knows he doesn't have the heart to go through the crazy training regiment he needs to be ready, maybe he's retiring for the right reasons.

completely agree

floyd/cotto has been in the making ever since PBF decided he would be moving up to 140 and this has always been the career defining fight for PBF that would have made him an all time great had he of won.

The last great champion we had of the last decade was lennox lewis. He fought and beat everyone in the division there was to beat and made sure by the time he retired there was nobody or nothing left to conquer.

If floyd is deadly serious about this retirement i genuinely feel sad not just for the fans but for the 2 fighters themselves.

Floyd is probably resigned to the fact he`ll now have to spend the remainder of his days being asked whether he truly believed he had what it took to beat cotto, it`ll always be something attached to him for the rest of his career and may eventually put pay to his legacy as one of the all time great fighters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i see what his saying to be honest, im no fan of mayweather but Taeth has a point, theyll always be someone the fans want him to fight till he loses, many people including myself wanted and believed that de la hoya could beat him, when that didnt happen our hopes were pinned onto Hatton and now Cotto, i like many people really wanna see that fight however if he was to fight Cotto and beat him i dont think it would still be enough for alot of fans,
    just the way it is untill he loses, we will want to see him fight the biggest tests available in the hope that he does lose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He should have fought Cotto and Mosely before he retired. That would've cemented his legacy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bx730NY View Post
    I swear man, I think you're Leanord Ellerbe on the low.
    I'll admit, this made me laugh.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Taeth's point is....'no matter who he beats there will always be another guy on the way up who fans think could beat him'

I think Mayweather would beat Cotto quite handily but i can see why people give Cotto much more of a chance than they gave ODLH or Hatton.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't care what others think. There wouldn't be so much "Floyd is ducking" talk, and "Floyd is this, and Floyd is that.." if there wasn't some bit of truth to it.

There are many great fighters that went into retirement and are atleast as good as he is and don't have such a big portion of the boxing community up in arms about it for. You must atleast ask yourself why that is, don't you? I mean, I can atleast ask myself why the guy bothers me, and still accept that he is a great boxer. Not sure If the answer I find for myself is truth as acceptable for others, it is my own, but atleast I ask it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by GRBOXINGFAN View Post

I don't know about that. Some might say Mayweather's legacy is already established. Granted, beating Cotto would take it to another level... And Floyd's WHOLE career has been leading up to fighting Cotto? Wow, that's putting a lot on Cotto, isn't it? I think Cotto was a logical next opponent and while I'm sad it looks like it won't happen, I can respect him for calling it quits.

Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To the people who say PBF would easily beat Cotto then I think that's based on Cotto being one of them fighters who you don't realise just how good they are until you share the ring with him. PBF pot shots and doesn't fight in combinations. I'm not sure he would have the power to hold Cotto off for 12 rounds. In many ways he fights to survive. I think he's afraid of getting beat. In fact I think he's terrified of it. He wants to keep that '0' in tact naively thinking that is enough to cement his legacy.

He won't fight a Cotto, or Margarito or Mosley or even a Quintana would be viewed as too dangerous, too competitive. I don't blame him, he's not called ‘Money Mayweather’ for nothing and he’s made his money, enough money for life. He is undefeated and he's getting out whilst he’s still young and he’s never been hurt or been in a war or even been knocked down. All his facilities our still in tact. When you think about it.....It's a perfect boxing career on paper.........on paper

BUT

I think he knows that he has not done enough, to be called a great in Ray Leonard, Hagler, Duran terms. If he retires now then he's great on the level below, the Aaron Pryor, Pernell Whittaker level. I think he'll come back as he will be constantly asked "What about Cotto ?" “You should fight Cotto” his pride won't allow him to let people think he was running scared of Cotto.

He’ll be back.

There is no question in my mind because as much as he calls himself ‘Money Mayweather' and as much as he flashes his cash and wears his bling. I don’t actually think deep down that’s what Mayweather is about, it’s not what drives him on a deep level. I think it’s the recognition that boxing has given him, the glory, the approval, the sense of value that boxing has given his life. To me that’s what is important to him and he will realise that unless he fights Cotto all the money in the world won’t give him what he really wants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't say I understand your whole point? Exactly why would you want De La Hoya to fight Cotto first? What does that have to do with Floyd Mayweather? Oscar De La Hoya is a 154lb fighter. Mayweather is/was the ring and WBC WW champion.

Are you saying you want De La Hoya to soften up Cotto first? Test the waters for Mayweather?

Who would want to see Mayweather fight Williams next? Paul Williams gained some of his respect as a major force back Saturday night but still he has a resume of stiffs, a close win over a flat Antonio Margarito, a loss of his title in his first defense and he caught Carlos Quintana with a good shot in round one of their rematch. He is not exactly on the P4P list right now is he?

I don't think Andre Berto has fought a ranked opponent yet? There is no one screaming for a fight with him and Cintron let alone Mayweather. The fight for the vacant WBC title is not even against a top 10 guy. Maybe top 10 by WBC but what does that really mean?

Nobody is calling for a Mayweather Vs Berto or Mayweather Vs Williams bout now or even in 2 years from now.

Floyd Mayweather has seen the way Cotto has walked through guys over the last few years. He has seen that even the speed of Judah and Mosley did nothing to nullify Cotto. He is no Johnny Come Lately. He is getting out when he has the chance.

Thread Information