Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ono's guide to building muscle - Biceps

Also wanted to add that Lyle is spot on with how he performs his exercises.....slow and controlled. Without using momentum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[/quote]

That's a myth Lyle.

Lighter weights - more reps myth has reared it's ugly head again

To be honest it's something i was told when i originally started training. Anyway it's a dirty lie

See below....

Fat Loss & Weight Training Myths

"Performing lighter weight with more repetitions (15-20 reps, 20-30 reps, or 20-50 reps) does not burn more fat or tone (simultaneous decrease of fat and increase muscle) better than a heaver weight with moderate repetitions (8-12 reps)"

Actually that page busts quite a few myths...It's worth checking out.[/QUOTE]

I dont know about toning and all that. But light weights and more reps DOES alot to help muscle endurance amiright or am i left?

also, are big triceps a hinderance? Because since i've been working my triceps using the pulldowns, they really increased in size.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Muscle is great, if it functions in any form of Athletic movement if not its a waste. Remember muscle has memory, so when trying to attain muscle make sure the muscle knows what its there for. Southpaw you are correct.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Also wanted to add that Lyle is spot on with how he performs his exercises.....slow and controlled. Without using momentum.
    The lighter weight and more reps are more to help the technique than to burn more fat or "tone up"...using constant weight on a machine or on TheraBands and doing slow steady reps also helps.

To tone and define you have to "feel the burn" only when you are feeling the burn can you build muscle or burn fat off your arms. Working after that burn is great stuff

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Isolating any one muscle group is rarely beneficial towards any athletic pursuit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Muscle is great, if it functions in any form of Athletic movement if not its a waste. Remember muscle has memory, so when trying to attain muscle make sure the muscle knows what its there for. Southpaw you are correct.
    i hear ya.

I've been planning to do some slow controlled shadowboxing with 2 lb dumbells for muscle endurance. I noticed my shoulders start fatiguing in the later rounds and my guard starts to drop. This should help.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Try a good stretch program it will do you more good, give you better contraction and more function.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Isolating any one muscle group is rarely beneficial towards any athletic pursuit.
    The trick is not to neglect the other muscles groups and to use isolation exercises to supplement the work that you are doing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    The lighter weight and more reps are more to help the technique than to burn more fat or "tone up"...using constant weight on a machine or on TheraBands and doing slow steady reps also helps.

To tone and define you have to "feel the burn" only when you are feeling the burn can you build muscle or burn fat off your arms. Working after that burn is great stuff
    The burn feeling is actually caused by a build up of lactic acid. Basically lactic acid is a metabolic waste product that is produced as the body burns carbs for energy. It has nothing to do with muscle hypertrophy (the building of muscle).

And you can't just specifically burn fat from your arms either. You cannot spot reduce. Like you can't burn fat from your stomach by doing crunches. Same principal all over the body.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Once again, this article is for aesthetics only. Nothing to do with Boxing or any other sport.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's a myth Lyle.

Lighter weights - more reps myth has reared it's ugly head again

To be honest it's something i was told when i originally started training. Anyway it's a dirty lie

See below....

Fat Loss & Weight Training Myths

"Performing lighter weight with more repetitions (15-20 reps, 20-30 reps, or 20-50 reps) does not burn more fat or tone (simultaneous decrease of fat and increase muscle) better than a heaver weight with moderate repetitions (8-12 reps)"

Actually that page busts quite a few myths...It's worth checking out.[/quote]

I dont know about toning and all that. But light weights and more reps DOES alot to help muscle endurance amiright or am i left?

also, are big triceps a hinderance? Because since i've been working my triceps using the pulldowns, they really increased in size.[/quote]
    You're right. That's how you increase muscluar endurance.

El Kabong Guest

True but the best way to build a total body of good muscles is to isolate the muscles during your workout. The thing is that you have to pair muscle groups together during your workout but on each exercise you isolate one muscle group at a time.

And on off days/cardio days you lightly work all muscles by swimming or something like that.

As for triceps they are an extending muscle and not a contracting muscle and therefore when it comes to punching then powerful triceps are a big help but they cannot be the ONLY strong muscle you have in your punch because you punch with your whole body.

IMO your core muscles are the most important abs and back...without them you can't build up your legs or upperbody as much as you can with that base of support for the weight to sit on
    Last edited by El Kabong; 06-17-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lactic Acid, is the by product of the proteins Ameno Acids waste, your Biulding Blocks.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lyle all muscles cotract whether Abduct or adduct they all contract.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    True but the best way to build a total body of good muscles is to isolate the muscles during your workout. The thing is that you have to pair muscle groups together during your workout but on each exercise you isolate one muscle group at a time.

And on off days/cardio days you lightly work all muscles by swimming or something like that.

As for triceps they are an extending muscle and not a contracting muscle and therefore when it comes to punching then powerful triceps are a big help but they cannot be the ONLY strong muscle you have in your punch because you punch with your whole body.

IMO your core muscles are the most important abs and back...without them you can't build up your legs or upperbody as much as you can with that base of support for the weight to sit on
    Yeh i agree core strength is very important. Especially in competition. That's why aggressive fighters (like ricky hatton) can struggle when moving up in weight (especially if they have to do it quickly). Their core strength isn't at the level of a naturally bigger fighter.....in most cases.

Thread Information