Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: It's time for a new generation of boxers to take over.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default It's time for a new generation of boxers to take over.

I've heard B Hop wants Kelly Pavlik, I'm with Arum,let's get these old bandicoots out of the way,the B Hops,the RJJ's and let Mayweather and Oscar retire:it's time for a new generation of young/old,hungry fighters who are willing to fight anyone to take over. Cotto, Pavlik,Pacquiao, Margarito, Juanma, Angulo, AA,MIranda,Kessler, etc etc etc, they all want to fight the best. All entertaining. And hopefully will take boxing back to the top.

WIth all due respect to the Jones and the Hopkins,Idon't want to see these faded legends fight(or in B Ho's case headbutt) on the main stage anymore. Oscar needs to stop taking the spotlight away from everyone else and Floyd did what Floyd does best: pick and choose his times. Take Winky with these guys and I'll be a happy guy! (I maybe be being harsh but who the heck wants to see Oscar FLoyd 2,Winky Oscar? Brenard in another snoozefest?Certainly not me)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: It's time for a new generation of boxers to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo View Post
    I've heard B Hop wants Kelly Pavlik, I'm with Arum,let's get these old bandicoots out of the way,the B Hops,the RJJ's and let Mayweather and Oscar retire:it's time for a new generation of young/old,hungry fighters who are willing to fight anyone to take over. Cotto, Pavlik,Pacquiao, Margarito, Juanma, Angulo, AA,MIranda,Kessler, etc etc etc, they all want to fight the best. All entertaining. And hopefully will take boxing back to the top.

WIth all due respect to the Jones and the Hopkins,Idon't want to see these faded legends fight(or in B Ho's case headbutt) on the main stage anymore. Oscar needs to stop taking the spotlight away from everyone else and Floyd did what Floyd does best: pick and choose his times. Take Winky with these guys and I'll be a happy guy! (I maybe be being harsh but who the heck wants to see Oscar FLoyd 2,Winky Oscar? Brenard in another snoozefest?Certainly not me)
    I feel pretty much the same way, Gamo. Even though I'd like to see a few of the old guard get in the ring just for entertainment, I really only want to see them fight each other.

Bring on the new blood!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well said, my friend. There's plenty of young, exciting talent out there. I know it must be hard for aging stars to let go, but it's gotta happen sooner or later. I could certainly live without watching Hopkins fight again. And Oscar DOES need to move aside and let the spotlight fall on someone else. It's an ego thing, and it's damn hard to pass the baton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unfortunately the old guys still make the promoters the most money and until that is no longer the case we will continue to see these guys in the ring rather than a lot of the young hungry fighters.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well to be honest the old guys are old in boxing for a reason. Look at Casa. To get the old generation out of the way you have to beat them.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In boxing there is a constant changing of the guard, almost every weekend we get a new guy come on to the scene and maybe take the spot of the older guys.

I'm fine with the older guys, there will be a day where the young guys of today are the old guys of tomorrow. It's the natural progression of the sport.

My big problem is that all the old guys are fighting the old guys especially the superstars at the higher weights. That's why I like Oscar-Cotto because it will be great exposure for Cotto and usher in the new generation to the new generation. Similar to when Oscar fought Chavez his fans probably doubled.

That's a good fight. I wish Calzaghe would stick around long enough to fight guys like Pavlik, Ward and Direll but instead he's fighting Jones which is really a fight I can't get excited for. But he did fight Lacy and Kessler so I guess that is sufficient. Calzaghe still sucks.

I like seeing the old guys like Hopkins who is extremely crafty and especially Wright who I really don't understand how people don't like watching him fight but that's a fan talking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If they {older fighters} want to fight than just let them fight each other. Sort of like a senior circuit, based on age 35-37 or older.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Does boxing even have a spotlight at all without Oscar? I don't think he steals the spotlight as much as he still is fully capable of competing with anyone out there, and he brings casual fans to fights. Also I don't see how you can be so unappreciative of what these old guys have done in the sport. IMO Hopkins just beat Joe Calzaghe, and deserves to face guys like Pavlik. Also I'm sorry, but Margarito is not the new generation of boxing, he will lose to Cotto and hopefully never be thought of as anything more than a fringe champion who has been overhyped. Miranda IMO will never have the coordination to be a great fighter. He will be a guy who just loads up every punch and continues to be tremendously overrated. Also I think PAcquaio is of the same generation as Mayweather and the rest of them he certainly made his name in the early 2000's.

However I do agree that it is time for the new champions to step up, They have had their training grounds, but now guys like Khan, Berto, Juanman, etc, need to take their talents and face them off against the best. Mayweather was like 21 when he won his first belt, and only had 17 fights.

Thread Information