Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where Is Floyd Mayweather Ranked In All Time Listings Now He Has Retired?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Where Is Floyd Mayweather Ranked In All Time Listings Now He Has Retired?

Quote Originally Posted by Tins06 View Post
    Top 20-25's....But if he sticks around and takes out Cotta he'll shoot right up if you ask me.

I think Mayweather needs to learn he doesn't decide how good he is.

We do.
    Same thoughts here. He retired without facing a couple of (threats) fighters that would've beaten him. Tsk! tsk! What a shame.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Where Is Floyd Mayweather Ranked In All Time Listings Now He Has Retired?

Quote Originally Posted by Put Em' Up View Post
    There are also a lot of guys that were more skilled then Floyd (Sorry all you PBF fans).

Yeah? I challenge you to name FIVE of them...

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hard to say at this point. Somewhere from 20-40 maybe?

We all glorify older fighters, Floyd's ranking will go up the longer he's been retired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His biggest wins just dont stack up to the big wins of the atgs before him. As far as skill goes he is top 10. Defense he is top 5. As far as career goes and where he ranks id say somewhere between 25-30 and he is that high primarily because he was one of the best super featherweights ever.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    There are also a lot of guys that were more skilled then Floyd (Sorry all you PBF fans).
    I am not saying all of these guys are more skilled then PBF, but look at these names and compare see with what you come up...

Pernell
    Pep
    RJJ
    SRR
    Arguello
    SRL
    "Finito" Lopez
    Ali

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tins06 View Post
    Top 20-25's....But if he sticks around and takes out Cotta he'll shoot right up if you ask me.

I think Mayweather needs to learn he doesn't decide how good he is.

We do.
    Think I agree with you the most. A Cotto victory would really send him up to that lofty plateau where nobody would have many grounds by which to question his skills/competition again IMO.
    If we're talking legacy and rankings, he needs that Cotto fight more than anything..because right now only some people are sold on his greatness. If he beats Cotto, EVERYONE is sold on his greatness.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

some where around where RJ will be on the list but RJ being lower on the list of course.
    a spontaneous creation with multiple moods.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    I am not saying all of these guys are more skilled then PBF, but look at these names and compare see with what you come up...

Pernell
    Pep
    RJJ
    SRR
    Arguello
    SRL
    "Finito" Lopez
    Ali

It's a tough argument to see who is more skilled however you mix it up though Floyd is at THAT level. SweetPea and Pep have gotta own for defense, but Floyd's pinpoint punching is far better IMO plus his defense is right up there. SRL, PBF and RJJ and very close in all aspects IMO as well, they were all absolute masters of their own styles. People say p4p SRR was the greatest ever, I tend to agree but Floyd's defense is much tighter, although SRR's offense was phenomenal, probably the best in the history of boxing (enter disclaimer here). Judging against Finito and Ali is incredibly difficult for me, because the severe differences in weight make all movements different for their respective weight classes, Ali (LIKE RJJ) was Freakishly quick for being a HW.

Total package of offense and defense a good argument could be made to have Floyd in the top 5 easily.
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is great, he has great skills, but I still does not feel that he battled enough to be among the first 10.

But, I am not sure if he is really retired or if he is just avoiding unecessary risks fighting De La Hoya and he is just waiting for the result of Cotto-Margarito, and the winner of this fight and De La Hoya... Just my opinion, which may be totally wrong...
    Puerto Rico, Small Island, Big Champions!!!

ICB Guest

Just outside the top 20 but the real question is how high people would rate Mayweather if he beat Cotto ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile Re: Where Is Floyd Mayweather Ranked In All Time Listings Now He Has Retired?

But would he really have to beat Cotto to be ranked higher Cotto is a threat to Mayweather for sure but has only just stepped up his level himself Judah,Mosely and now Margarito.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd probably have him between 20 & 30. Not too many fighters over the past 20 years would be higher than him imo; i.e Pernell, RJJ and Finito (I don't count the fab four as being the last 20 years )

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Mayweather is as good as anyone that has ever been or ever will be.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd is not retired. Everyone knows that he will start to go broke, make a comback eventually fight beyond the point where his can compete at such a high level, and eventually be broke again with a decade of retiring for real.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Skill wise he is among the all time greats. Overall he doesn't crack the top 20. Even if he comes back and beats Cotto (which he probably will do), he doesn't come close to being among the top 10.

Thread Information